Page 14 of 455 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Easton Stick! We got him!

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Shaman was one of the strongest guys on the team. Bohl compared Anderson's style to Shakir Bell
    All 5'6" 150 lbs. c'mon man!

AND what kind of a back do you think Shakir Bell is? He is a perfect definition of a scat back dude!!!! Quick, agile, and very elusive....no huh uh??

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    FYI, the Dinwiddie's are both playing at Emporia State. They are 7-0 on the season. Daveon is being used primarily as a punt and kick returner and defensive back. He has 2 interceptions! Deshawn is 3rd on the team in tackles and Daveon is 4th on the team in tackles. Both good kids who went through hell growing up so I'm glad to see them doing well closer to home.
    yeah I agree, I think Deshawn would have been pretty good but maybe he seen he wasn't going to be anything but a special teamer...glad they are having success
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    All 5'6" 150 lbs. c'mon man!

AND what kind of a back do you think Shakir Bell is? He is a perfect definition of a scat back dude!!!! Quick, agile, and very elusive....no huh uh??
    Shaman had one of the highest bench presses on the team. Strong little bastard.
    And Bell is nothing like a scat back. He's a power back with moves. Low center of gravity and powerful

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And Bell is nothing like a scat back. He's a power back with moves. Low center of gravity and powerful
    First of all I don't care if Shamen Benched a car, I'm never putting a 150 lb running back behind my quarterback and obviously I wasn't the only one to think this. They used him the right way.

And low center of gravity is a definition of a scat back, that is what makes them so hard to tackle, that mixed in with some elusiveness and you got Barry Sanders or a Shakir Bell...usually this is a term given to smaller backs because they are usually quicker and more agile and this is what Barry Sanders, Shakir Bell, and Darius Anderson are...(don't get your BVD's in a bunch now because I put those two guys next to Barry Sanders. You know I'm not comparing the 3 guys but rather making a point of what kind of running backs they are or were)...

Shamen was strong...for his size.

Let's not get carried away. He had NOWHERE NEAR the highest bench press on the team.

Click to :55 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4paWdqKfW9g

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    First of all I don't care if Shamen Benched a car, I'm never putting a 150 lb running back behind my quarterback and obviously I wasn't the only one to think this. They used him the right way.

And low center of gravity is a definition of a scat back, that is what makes them so hard to tackle, that mixed in with some elusiveness and you got Barry Sanders or a Shakir Bell...usually this is a term given to smaller backs because they are usually quicker and more agile and this is what Barry Sanders, Shakir Bell, and Darius Anderson are...(don't get your BVD's in a bunch now because I put those two guys next to Barry Sanders. You know I'm not comparing the 3 guys but rather making a point of what kind of running backs they are or were)...
    I think our definition of a scat back differs. I googled scat back and it says...

Sporting Charts explains Scatback
    A "scatback" is a halfback or tailback and is more of a utility back than a traditional running back. Whereas a traditional tailback or fullback tends to run vertically through offensive tackles, relying on power to shrug off and shed tacklers, scatbacks are more versatile, and are often used in rushing plays to the outside parts of the field. Since scatbacks possess more speed, they can reach the outside and "turn the corner" faster than traditional backs, beating defenders and gaining yardage away from the largest mass of players on the field.

Quick running backs like the scatback also tend to be the target of more receptions from the quarterback, receiving screen passes and passes in the flat. They are more of a threat in the open field, as their size and speed can cause defenders to miss tackles, creating a larger potential for big plays. Since scatbacks also tend to be smaller than many players, they can use their size to their advantage by hiding behind the offensive line, making it harder for defenses to locate them during a play. Some scatbacks will also often play a role on special teams as kickoff and punt returners, using their speed and maneuverability to provide their team with good field position.

I thought of a guy like Shamen or Dinwiddie as a scat back. Same with Sigers. Quick versitile but not an every down player. There's a reason Shamen was hurt alot. They are too small. I think we agree on that.

Bell and Anderson are almost the same size. (5'8, 186) I haven't seen Anderson much but if Bohl comares Shakir Bell that's my only point of reference. IMO, Bell is a power runner but has moves. He's an amazing talent. I would call him a feature back. That's why his career stats are sick. Scat backs are situational

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    Shamen was strong...for his size.

Let's not get carried away. He had NOWHERE NEAR the highest bench press on the team.

Click to :55 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4paWdqKfW9g
    Skip ahead to :35 seconds. Beast Mode

Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Dont forget Dinwiddie too. Not all of these guys left due to playing time. Sigers became academically ineligible and became a rapper or something. Blincoe didn't have a chance with Roehl and Paschal. He had some injuries too. The scat back doesn't really fit into our style of offense. That's why they put Shaman Washington as a slot receiver like Smith.

Darius Anderson isn't really a scat back though. He's a mix
    Watch some 2010 highlights and try to tell me that Sigers didn't fit into the offensive scheme. It was DJ and Voit between the tackles in a scrum, then Sigers would pop it outside and blow by people for 40 yards. He was explosive and a great change of pace.

so what about past guys, this is Easton's thread

are we recruiting or Reloading??

I'm going with the latter!!!!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Watch some 2010 highlights and try to tell me that Sigers didn't fit into the offensive scheme. It was DJ and Voit between the tackles in a scrum, then Sigers would pop it outside and blow by people for 40 yards. He was explosive and a great change of pace.
    Sigers got his touches. The problem is when your that small if you get a ton of carries, you will likely get injured. These speedy players entire game is based on speed and if you take it away, they have no value. Plus it's going to lose it's effectiveness if it's seen too much. It's the change of pace that throws defenses off. Think K State QB Daniel Sams when he came into the game for 1 play. (TD untouched)
    (Sigers played the first 3 games in 2009 - and got hurt was lost for the season. Shamen was seemingly always hurt.)

That's why they put guys like Shamen Washington and Ryan Smith at slot receiver. Their skills are better utilized, their speed is a factor, and they don't get beat up as much.

There is a reason we go with big backs like Ojuri, Crockett, and Lang. They don't get hurt and they deliver the blows, not take them. Heck Ojuri outweighs Sigers by 45 pounds and he's fast! He outweighed Shamen by 60 pounds!! No arm tackling those guys! (Now think Tyler Roehl who outweighed Ojuri by 20 lbs)
    Last edited by HerdBot; 10-24-2013 at 04:06 AM.