Page 375 of 455 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385425 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 4542

Thread: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Default Re: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    One of the most satisfying things in life is building up other people. Imagine what this world would be like if everyone was that selfish. Think of how glowingly our last several QBs have spoken about their mentors. Maybe this is why Rivers hasn't won the ultimate prize, he's been a great QB. Now is his chance to leave a real legacy. Ya know, strength of the herd.
    Jesus this was corny lmao
    College of Business Alumnus

Is this surprising to anyone. This happens a LOT in the NFL. Brady vs anyone behind him. Favre vs Rodgers etc etc. Most QB's don't want another to take their job.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    One of the most satisfying things in life is building up other people. Imagine what this world would be like if everyone was that selfish. Think of how glowingly our last several QBs have spoken about their mentors. Maybe this is why Rivers hasn't won the ultimate prize, he's been a great QB. Now is his chance to leave a real legacy. Ya know, strength of the herd.
    I'm not sure Ive ever felt so Warm and Fuzzy!!! and I'm not sure I'd compare college ball to the NFL. It is understood that Stick is a THIRD string QB Correct???

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Was Wentz mentoring Sudfeld or Thorsen? C’mon guys...If Stick is the starter, then I would absolutely expect Rivers to take the time to mentor him as the veteran backup, but Rivers has to prepare for the games. Stick’s role is to be an observer and absorb information in the QB room.

If Easton gets a chance to start, he also has a chance of getting cut. Look at the Brett Rypien with the Broncos and Clayton Thorson with Eagles. I think he could use another year in the NFL before being given a chance, but he could get cut if Chargers pick up a QB in the early first round next year. You bring in a career backup behind a high end prospect. The best scenario for Stick is that Rivers is benched and Tyrod is blah, two good games from Stick might be enough for the chargers to go with an open mind next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialBison View Post
    If Easton gets a chance to start, he also has a chance of getting cut. Look at the Brett Rypien with the Broncos and Clayton Thorson with Eagles. I think he could use another year in the NFL before being given a chance, but he could get cut if Chargers pick up a QB in the early first round next year. You bring in a career backup behind a high end prospect. The best scenario for Stick is that Rivers is benched and Tyrod is blah, two good games from Stick might be enough for the chargers to go with an open mind next year.
    Or sit in the 2nd and 3rd string role quietly for 6-10 years making millions vs. thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialBison View Post
    Agreed, while we're all impatient and want Stick to get his chance I think the best thing for him this year is to develop on the sideline, in the film room, and in practice. Next preseason will be very important for him if he's going to get a shot at being an NFL starter at some point.

Every player wants to play. Nobody says "Nah I'm good right here on the bench". IMO you don't get better as a QB standing on the sideline. Hopefully Easton gets a shot whether it's with SD or another team, then it's up to him to make the most of it.

And it's not Rivers job to train the backup. You can't compare college to the NFL. From what I've heard and read Rivers has treated Easton all right.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Or sit in the 2nd and 3rd string role quietly for 6-10 years making millions vs. thousands.
    This is an unlikely scenario for now. Majority of career backups are former starters in the league. There are some that get by without starting much like Chase Daniels but they are relatively rare. These kind of QB's also act like a second QB coach sometimes. The best way to a backup job is satisfactory low end starter performance when you get a chance with injury or retirement. Other way is to do well in the preseason constantly. The other exceptions are high draft picks that fail like Paxton Lynch.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We have one little comment to go off of but I’d guess if Easton had a question for Rivers he would help the guy out but he isn’t going to groom him to take his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk