Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bresciani's 2013 State of the University

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bresciani's 2013 State of the University

I don't feel like starting a new thread about this, but I was just curious and didn't know where to ask.

Where do student-athlete scholarships come from? Are they all privately-raised or does the school contribute a bit? If they do, where does that money come from? Do students help pay for student-athlete tuition through tuition fees?

I'm having problems finding a breakdown anywhere and you guys are knowledgeable on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    I don't feel like starting a new thread about this, but I was just curious and didn't know where to ask.

Where do student-athlete scholarships come from? Are they all privately-raised or does the school contribute a bit? If they do, where does that money come from? Do students help pay for student-athlete tuition through tuition fees?

I'm having problems finding a breakdown anywhere and you guys are knowledgeable on the subject.
    I believe Team Makers pays the scholarships, but someone like Road would be able to answer better.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I believe Team Makers pays the scholarships, but someone like Road would be able to answer better.
    That's what I had thought...just want to double check before I go too far down with the ship.

The stated purpose of Team Makers is to raise money for scholarships. TM has really kicked up their game in the DI era, but they still can't cover all the scholarships. Prior to DI, TM was donating around $700k to the athletic department. Very quickly, they raised that number to $2.1M. In the last several years, the increased football season tickets sales have helped boost things a little further since many of those seats come along with TM dues. The annual donation is now in the $2.5M-$2.8M range. But the total cost of scholarships is around $3.0M. I thought it was more, but that's the number from the USA Today database. That quarter to half mil shortfall comes from internal money. I don't know if the scholarship money is pulled from a specific source or whether all the institutional support is handled as a single pool of funds. If I had to guess, I'd say the scholarship money comes from the university support allocation which is a mix of tuition, state dollars, and auxiliary revenue. But that's just a guess. If all goes well, TM will raise enough money within the next several years to start covering 100% of the scholarship costs and then some.

There is $14,000,000+ in endowed scholarship funds which directly helps pay for athletic scholarships also. None of this flows through Teammakers.

533 In a row

Thanks for all that!

Little follow-up...I'm curious where the money taken from tuition, if any, specifically comes from?

Does it come from the $73.50 athletics student fee or is it from another part of the tuition?

In a bit of an argument right now and those are points I'm stuck on.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    There is $14,000,000+ in endowed scholarship funds which directly helps pay for athletic scholarships also. None of this flows through Teammakers.
    Ah so this ensures that students don't directly pay for other students to come to NDSU on an athletic scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    The stated purpose of Team Makers is to raise money for scholarships. TM has really kicked up their game in the DI era, but they still can't cover all the scholarships. Prior to DI, TM was donating around $700k to the athletic department. Very quickly, they raised that number to $2.1M. In the last several years, the increased football season tickets sales have helped boost things a little further since many of those seats come along with TM dues. The annual donation is now in the $2.5M-$2.8M range. But the total cost of scholarships is around $3.0M. I thought it was more, but that's the number from the USA Today database. That quarter to half mil shortfall comes from internal money. I don't know if the scholarship money is pulled from a specific source or whether all the institutional support is handled as a single pool of funds. If I had to guess, I'd say the scholarship money comes from the university support allocation which is a mix of tuition, state dollars, and auxiliary revenue. But that's just a guess. If all goes well, TM will raise enough money within the next several years to start covering 100% of the scholarship costs and then some.
    Then what? Would the excess go into a "rainy day fund" incase there are shortfalls in future years?
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Thanks for all that!

Little follow-up...I'm curious where the money taken from tuition, if any, specifically comes from?

Does it come from the $73.50 athletics student fee or is it from another part of the tuition?

In a bit of an argument right now and those are points I'm stuck on.
    I don't completely understand what you are asking. Students pay an activity fee. Out of that fee, some money goes to the athletic department. The money also goes to many other places on campus.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I don't completely understand what you are asking. Students pay an activity fee. Out of that fee, some money goes to the athletic department. The money also goes to many other places on campus.
    Based on this line from Hammersmith

If I had to guess, I'd say the scholarship money comes from the university support allocation which is a mix of tuition, state dollars, and auxiliary revenue.
    I was just curious what part of the tuition was he referring to. IE The student activity fee or some other fund.

I am guessing it doesn't come from other students, I just had a friend insistent that students helped contribute to paying for scholarships and I wanted to prove his claim incorrect.