Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th and 1 under 2 minutes

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 4th and 1 under 2 minutes

Sorry guys I was talking their FG kicker. No way we try a FG there. Too much risk for not enough reward. Didn't know about their success blocking punts this year and Murphy was a little shaky yesterday for some reason.

I was just shocked based on how much coach plays the field position game that he didn't try and make UNI go 65 yards to have a shot at a 50 yarder instead of only 30/40 yards.

Maybe Coach Bohl remembered EWU in 2010. Maybe he made the decision that day that if that situation ever came up again he'd always go for it. It was a nearly identical spot on the field with just slightly less time left than EWU game.

I totally believe it was the right call to go for it, but the wrong play was called. Teams are figuring out that if we need short yardage, we go left. I know that's the strength of the line (and I haven't watched the replay) but I was really hoping they would have gone left. No idea if it was open or not, but that's what I would have called, whether it be a Jensen keep or any type of run. Just my .02.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Yeah, they were playing stuff the run. I think the off balance sweep would have been good. Everyone is going to be a bit hesitant to look outside due to the success we have with BJ in these type is situations. no way their LBs get to the LOS before we get two.

Quote Originally Posted by MHDBisonfan View Post
    Maybe Coach Bohl remembered EWU in 2010. Maybe he made the decision that day that if that situation ever came up again he'd always go for it. It was a nearly identical spot on the field with just slightly less time left than EWU game.
    Exactly what I thought about in the situation, still think that we would have won that game if we went for it.
    Keep your expectations low enough and you will always be happy with the results

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was fine with the attempt. I heard someone mention that with the PAT blocks given up this season Bohl was worried about a blocked kick and rightfully so imo. We get it we win, we don't then we depend on one of the best defenses in all of D1 football. They have carried the team through 2 championship runs and got it done again today.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    I still think you punt there. It was a long 1 almost 2 - if it's less than 1 QB sneak sure. If you don't think a QB sneak will get it there put your best team on the field with them having the ball at the 20 at the least. 15 yard net in that situation is huge!

Don't forget about the time factor, sky a punt and you run off an additional 7-10 seconds depending on if it lands in play. There will be no return at all. Only thing I'll concede to is if you say bad snap, but I'll take Murphy over having to get 2 yards.
    We were on the 31 so a touchback gains us 6 yards.

Feel free to argue my estimations.
    If we go for it we'll get a first down 70% of the time. The 30% of the time we don't make it we still hold them 50% of the time.
    70%+(30%x50%)=85% winning percentage

If we punt we'll on average give them the ball on 15 yard line. Based on my 50% hold rate in my go for it scenario you'll probably hold them 30% of the time from the 15. Which makes you're winning percentage 70%.

No matter how you mess with the numbers it's an obvious go for it situation IMO.

You guys suck ass. 99 yards passing? Blown call by the refs?

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Tough call but it was the right one. Risking a punt return is dangerous and if it goes into the end zone we net like 10 yards. Field goal was long. Odds of making 1 yard is probably better than a long field goal
    No it's not. Punts inside your opponents territory are rarely returned, let alone your opponents 31 yard line.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Sorry guys I was talking their FG kicker. No way we try a FG there. Too much risk for not enough reward. Didn't know about their success blocking punts this year and Murphy was a little shaky yesterday for some reason.

I was just shocked based on how much coach plays the field position game that he didn't try and make UNI go 65 yards to have a shot at a 50 yarder instead of only 30/40 yards.
    Our kicker would have made a 55 yarder. You guys suck. I sincerely hope we play again in the playoffs. With playoff caliber refs we will kill you.