Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL draft impact

Default NFL draft impact

Ok, I'm wondering what if any the impact on recruiting a high pick from a school would do for recruits? Granted this is all if things pan out but NDSU could have 2 draft picks this year, this is pretty big publicity once again for NDSU.

I think it's a huge thing for a kid knowing he can get top round if not top pick by coming to an FCS school...thoughts?
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Default Re: NFL draft impact

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Ok, I'm wondering what if any the impact on recruiting a high pick from a school would do for recruits? Granted this is all if things pan out but NDSU could have 2 draft picks this year, this is pretty big publicity once again for NDSU.

I think it's a huge thing for a kid knowing he can get top round if not top pick by coming to an FCS school...thoughts?
    I think NDSU has already established itself as a program that can produce NFL talent. It has to be a pretty big deal to sit across from a kid and tell them if you are a potential NFL talent, you will get a shot coming out of NDSU just as well as most schools, plus you get actual playing time for four years. Now getting a former walk on that might go in the first half of the draft and a potential top 5 pick, that is just more icing on the cake. You will get noticed here. It goes so much deeper then just the guys drafted. Guys in the CFL, a few still out there still getting a shot in NFL camps, and a few years straight where there have been a handful of Bison alumni starting or highly contributing on Sundays goes a long ways. Then when you add in that some of these guys were considered FBS project guys who might not have seen the field for their first three years in any other program, it has to have a positive impact. Our staff can sit in front of any recruit and their parents and honestly tell them if they follow the program of working hard in the classroom and in the football program, they have a legitimate shot in 4 or 5 years of at least getting a serious look by a NFL team. How many guys last year went to mini-camps invited? They all didn't make it, but they got the opportunity. Not every school can say that about their former student/athletes and not all of them can say their football players leave with a college degree. You leave NDSU prepared.

It will be cool putting a 1st round QB pick on the walls of the dome, coaching offices, and media guides. I think any high school QB who has NFL aspirations will be impressed by that and it will only have a positive effect. And when you still have an awesome QB coach who coached him... big impact.

I think UNI benefitted from Kurt Warner and probably still do. Hopefully Carson not only is drafted high but has a good career

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It will be cool putting a 1st round QB pick on the walls of the dome, coaching offices, and media guides. I think any high school QB who has NFL aspirations will be impressed by that and it will only have a positive effect. And when you still have an awesome QB coach who coached him... big impact.

I think UNI benefitted from Kurt Warner and probably still do. Hopefully Carson not only is drafted high but has a good career
    Kolpeck had an artifice in todays INFORUM about Hedberg....http://www.inforum.com/sports/bison/...traced-hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think NDSU has already established itself as a program that can produce NFL talent. It has to be a pretty big deal to sit across from a kid and tell them if you are a potential NFL talent, you will get a shot coming out of NDSU just as well as most schools, plus you get actual playing time for four years. Now getting a former walk on that might go in the first half of the draft and a potential top 5 pick, that is just more icing on the cake. You will get noticed here. It goes so much deeper then just the guys drafted. Guys in the CFL, a few still out there still getting a shot in NFL camps, and a few years straight where there have been a handful of Bison alumni starting or highly contributing on Sundays goes a long ways. Then when you add in that some of these guys were considered FBS project guys who might not have seen the field for their first three years in any other program, it has to have a positive impact. Our staff can sit in front of any recruit and their parents and honestly tell them if they follow the program of working hard in the classroom and in the football program, they have a legitimate shot in 4 or 5 years of at least getting a serious look by a NFL team. How many guys last year went to mini-camps invited? They all didn't make it, but they got the opportunity. Not every school can say that about their former student/athletes and not all of them can say their football players leave with a college degree. You leave NDSU prepared.
    I think where it pays dividends is that it broadens your recruiting footprint! Makes it easier to get those guys outside of your imedaite footprint

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I think where it pays dividends is that widens your recruiting footprint!.
    True.
    Plus, every team has a famous NFL player who is kind of thr face of the program. Carson will be the guy. Let's face it, everyone knows who the QB is on an NFL team.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    True.
    Plus, every team has a famous NFL player who is kind of thr face of the program. Carson will be the guy. Let's face it, everyone knows who the QB is on an NFL team.
    Not everyone

Peyton Manning
    Drew Brees
    Aaron Rodgers
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Ben Rothsl....berger
    Tom Brady

Those are the only NFL QB's I can name with their teams off the top of my head. but I admit I don't follow NFL at all. Granted I know more names if someone reminds me but I couldn't place them with a team. But your right NFL diehards will know

No Joe Flacco or Tony Romo?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In a different line of thinking about impact, just imagine with Carson's apparent top QB in the NFL draft status how much pressure this would have put on Easton for next year if Carson had played the entire season. The 8 wins with Easton starting really makes this a non issue. If Easton's first game was next season this might have seemed like huge shoes to fill and could have had an impact on the transition to a new QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    Not everyone

Peyton Manning
    Drew Brees
    Aaron Rodgers
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Ben Rothsl....berger
    Tom Brady

Those are the only NFL QB's I can name with their teams off the top of my head. but I admit I don't follow NFL at all. Granted I know more names if someone reminds me but I couldn't place them with a team. But your right NFL diehards will know
    Sorry not what I meant.
    Every college team has a player who is their big name guy. Right now we a bunch of good NFL guys but no big names everyone recognizes nationally. Wentz could be that guy