Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New FBS proposal? Anything to this?

Default Re: New FBS proposal? Anything to this?

Quick translation of what I've read so far.

We(FBS) want to be our own division so we can make up our own rules and not have to worry about the non-FBS schools. We have no idea how this will work, but the magical administration fairy will surely work out all the bugs. Oh, and we still want to compete in the DI basketball(and other) tourney with all the other schools because we want the TV money, I mean it will be for the good of the division.

Seriously, I'm not exaggerating very much. I can't believe this proposal can work. It feels more like another shot across the bow than a realistic proposal.

An FBS remaining as part of Division I is less likely to maintain its integrity over time as a separate voting entity and would likely be unable to avoid the experience under the current governance structure in which institutions and conferences with very different resources and facing either different issues, or the same issues but in different degrees of acuteness, were able to move to Division IA or Division I FBS, thereby recreating the need for a separate FBS voice.
    In recommending a separate FBS division, the 1A FAR Board has neither evaluated all issues attendant on such a change, nor attempted to work out how to resolve all of them. We would find most welcome the opportunity to work with presidents and chancellors on the Division I Board or elsewhere, NCAA senior administrative staff, representative campus athletics administrators, and conference commissioners in making concrete the new governance structure. We have not engaged in close evaluation of the questions, for example, of which conferences and institutions should be identified as belonging to the new FBS division or whether there should be weighted voting in favor of the five conferences that remain from those that were automatic qualifiers in the BCS (or a sixth, should the AAC be so included).
    The 1A FAR Board supports a governance structure that leaves intact the Division I championship structure in which FBS institutions compete. We urge this for three reasons. First, the men’s basketball tournament funds more than 90 percent of NCAA operations, both at the national office and for all NCAA divisions, and we have no wish to create major impediments to their ability to function. Second, many NCAA operations and services funded by the men’s basketball tournament inure to the direct benefit of FBS institutions and conferences – enforcement; the eligibility center; interpretations; and student-athlete reinstatement (just to name a few). Third, because we believe that the Division I championship structure works well, we see no good reason to isolate FBS teams and conferences. (Moreover, although we have not examined competition numbers, we wonder whether some FBS-only championships would have a sufficient number of teams and student-athletes to warrant separate championships.5)

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Where did you see that reference?! Page?!
    Figure 1 on the last page shows Board of Directors would be the President/Chancellor from each of 10 conferences. I just assumed the current FBS conferences made up those 10.

Sounds like typical undie envy smoke to me. Could be wrong.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    That's all 10 of today's D-1A conferences, correct?

Seems like those guys are seeing what they want to see.
    exactly my thought process

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    Figure 1 on the last page shows Board of Directors would be the President/Chancellor from each of 10 conferences. I just assumed the current FBS conferences made up those 10.
    http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/comm...tteeName=BOARD

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    I see!! I agree with Hammer on this one. Also, and I will ask again, where in the hell does star2 get his bit about NDSU having to join Big Sky, DII stuff etc.? There is nothing in the entire, overly-broad and vague proposal that even remotely touches on that issue!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

I see!! I agree with Hammer on this one. Also, and I will ask again, where in the hell does star2 get his bit about NDSU having to join Big Sky, DII stuff etc.? There is nothing in the entire, overly-broad and vague proposal that even remotely touches on that issue!!
    Somewhere in that discussion on ss.com, there was a comment about CONFERENCES moving up to stay D1. Apparently, he made that leap easily but assumed it was the only conference that could do such a thing. I'm not sure how they got things out of the story that weren't even there.

Oh, I absolutely agree with Hammer. I think this "change" will allow them to start down the road of paying their athletes. It separates football governance from basketball so they can still have their huge tourney (which will grow to eventually 128 teams).

The only part I see that could be in any way relevant to the other part is where the document says they only want 3 divisions of D1 instead of 4. Assuming that "No football" and the "Big 6" (the constantly mention the AAC maybe replacing the former BCS AQ Big East) are 2 of the 3, does that mean the other portion is the remaining one and the FCS is no longer D1 or do the remaining conferences combine with the FCS?

It's a longshot, but I don't see how their reasoning makes sense basically because they aren't going to "allow" the Big Sky to move up as a group without "allowing" the MVFC to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Somewhere in that discussion on ss.com, there was a comment about CONFERENCES moving up to stay D1. Apparently, he made that leap easily but assumed it was the only conference that could do such a thing. I'm not sure how they got things out of the story that weren't even there.
    Wait, are you saying star2 made an extreme extrapolation with no basis in fact or numbers?!

Why did I even struggle through reading the entire attachment-->half hour of my life I will never get back thanks to star2!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

way to get trolled by the village idiot.

stop reading the hitler youth board. It's a mental wasteland.