Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Klosterman says it would be possible to go FBS......

Default Re: Chuck Klosterman says it would be possible to go FBS......

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I love the Fargodome, but with where we want to go it really could hold us back in the future. We could always go FBS and ask to use SDSU's new stadium. We already fill it up for them anyway.
    Buttbullettrainnorthonly

The stadium is a problem, but it is a longer term issue. It is an issue that likely would not have to be solved prior to a move, but plans to get a larger stadium should be in place. Remember FBS only has to maintain an average of 15,000 as a minimum. NDSU easily does this.

As to conferences, the MWC would surely be the best somewhat realistic option for the Bison. With the recent success of our program the fans in WYO and Colorado are indeed familiar with the Bison and that we are a very potent FB school. The distances to Laramie, Ft. Collins, and Colorado Springs are not too bad. The schools in the MWC are for the most part peer institutions with NDSU. The biggest issue right now is that the MWC is not looking for any additional members. If we are to consider the move, we would need to be ready and have the pieces in place for when the MWC looks for new members.

NDSU has a much better following than several of the MWC schools right now. We would have a much stronger fan base than Fresno State, San Diego State, and San Jose State. While those schools are in larger media markets than NDSU, they are not the dominant school in those markets. For example, most fans in the Bay area will follow either Cal or Stanford. NDSU is really the only FB game in our area. Our media competition is really more with UM rather than UND since they are so down right now.

The biggest issue I see with getting the MWC interested in NDSU would be the quality of our BB program. Clearly, NDSU would struggle in Mens BB if in the MWC. I do think that when the SHAC is completed it will be a quality facility. We just need some consistent quality to the team playing in it.

One thing that is for sure is the landscape of college athletics is going to continue to change. It is likely that the FBS AQ Conferences will try and leave the others behind because of TV and money. If that happens, I do think NDSU needs to be ready to capitalize on the situation and make sure we don't get stuck in something that starts to resemble D2. I am sure that Gene is thinking about all of this and will move us the right direction. As one that has always been a naysayer regarding potential membership in the MWC, I would have to say it could be possible in the future. I think the upcoming turmoil in NCAA athletics will be a lot of fun and a positive for a winning program like NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    No doubt on that. However, let's go to hypothetical land. Let's say, out of the blue, due to the crazy shake ups in college football, NDSU gets a Big 12 invite contingent on fixing the stadium situation. Would the state be so dumb as not to assist NDSU in making that happen? While my heart says they could not be that dumb, my brain wonders if they would. (It would be an immensely good thing for the state, but it would permanently separate NDSU from UND.) The reality is if they got the stadium they need, and had any success, I think the booster money will follow quickly. The stadium is the problem.
    I don't see the State ever GIVING money to NDSU. I see potential for bonding help or other assistance to get a project done.

Here's the real bottom line: Does everybody who writes checks to NDSU have the ability and willingness to multiply the number on their giving by 5? So, if you are forking out a couple grand now, will you go to $10,000. If you are doing $5,000 now, can you make it $25,000. If not, then it's probably not doable.

Anybody who is writing checks directly to NDSU less than 4 figures isn't doing a lot now and is only a factor if they CAN and WILL jack that up considerably in the futre.

Too many people think that going to games is all there is to it. What you spend traveling, etc does nothing for the program.

Not going to happen!
    Bizon football...it ain't golf....be LOUD...be PROUD....BIZON NATION (yes, I stole 'nation' from the Gophers)

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I love the Fargodome, but with where we want to go it really could hold us back in the future. We could always go FBS and ask to use SDSU's new stadium. We already fill it up for them anyway.
    Then be set back 10 years from all the lawsuits, after the bleachers collapse.
    The fella that watches the CFL

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think we should delete this thread as it makes us look like uninformed rubes. There have only been two bcs call ups in the modern era, Utah to the PAC 12 and TCU to the Big XII. One could even argue that TCU wasn't a true call up as they were previously in a BCS kind of league called the SWC. The current BCS is very exclusive and we won't be sniffing that level for generations if ever. Now, with the whole Division IV stuff coming down the pipe, NDSU should keep its eye on joining or becoming part of a new conference with the G5 schools that get left behind. (Sun Belt, MAC, MWC, CUSA, AAC) That is of course if they put togother a playoff which they likely will.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I don't see the State ever GIVING money to NDSU. I see potential for bonding help or other assistance to get a project done.

Here's the real bottom line: Does everybody who writes checks to NDSU have the ability and willingness to multiply the number on their giving by 5? So, if you are forking out a couple grand now, will you go to $10,000. If you are doing $5,000 now, can you make it $25,000. If not, then it's probably not doable.

Anybody who is writing checks directly to NDSU less than 4 figures isn't doing a lot now and is only a factor if they CAN and WILL jack that up considerably in the futre.

Too many people think that going to games is all there is to it. What you spend traveling, etc does nothing for the program.

I agree on the state part; hell, I'm skeptical they are smart enough to help with bonding. In reality, they should gladly fund part of the project if they had any brains at all.

You have one big fallacy in your argument on money, however. You are assuming the base support does not grow. That is the part you are missing. could they get enough? I certainly don't know for sure, but if Boise can do it, I am pretty darn sure NDSU can.

it's also an error to posit that all donors must pony up.

if ESPN calls up Gene Taylor telling him to have a conversation about the Mountain West with its commissioner...
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I think we should delete this thread as it makes us look like uninformed rubes. There have only been two bcs call ups in the modern era, Utah to the PAC 12 and TCU to the Big XII. One could even argue that TCU wasn't a true call up as they were previously in a BCS kind of league called the SWC. The current BCS is very exclusive and we won't be sniffing that level for generations if ever. Now, with the whole Division IV stuff coming down the pipe, NDSU should keep its eye on joining or becoming part of a new conference with the G5 schools that get left behind. (Sun Belt, MAC, MWC, CUSA, AAC) That is of course if they put togother a playoff which they likely will.
    AK, I don't think any of what we are talking about is mutually exclusive to your comments. The next colossal shake up could literally shake the landscape so hard, that Big 12 could be a non AQ conference for all we know. We simply don't know where we are going, but it is clear that NDSU needs to watch all options carefully. That is all we are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I agree on the state part; hell, I'm skeptical they are smart enough to help with bonding. In reality, they should gladly fund part of the project if they had any brains at all.

You have one big fallacy in your argument on money, however. You are assuming the base support does not grow. That is the part you are missing. could they get enough? I certainly don't know for sure, but if Boise can do it, I am pretty darn sure NDSU can.
    Base support won't grow without a lot of additional seats for football.