Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Klosterman says it would be possible to go FBS......

Default Re: Chuck Klosterman says it would be possible to go FBS......

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan13 View Post
    I was opposed to the BCS idea until this season. The national attention we have gotten by beating Kansas State is way more than we did with winning the national titles. Of course, I think the titles helped get out name out there too. I'm still not sure which way NDSU should go on this but I think they need to at least look into it.
    I see more and more people leaning toward "looking deeper into it" and I have to agree. Now is the time to seriously ask the questions. We absolutely have the right administration in place to make the right decision and I would support that decision either way.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    That Klosterman article really pushed me forward on this. He is looking at this very objectively as a UND grad living in the East. My only comment is MAC is not high enough for NDSU. NDSU should want Mountain West as the lowest rung they'd accept or stay put. Honestly, with the craziness going one, I really don't think Big 12 is out of the question even if extremely unlikely. Honestly, Big 12 is probably where NDSU belongs.
    People in the East (Washington, New York, etc) seem to have no problem spending everybody elses money.

One thing I think Klosterman is wrong about is that MWC, MAC, etc are actually moves upward. IMO, they really aren't although they significantly (double?) the athletic budget if we want to be consistently competitive.

If the B1G, Big 12, or any other major conference comes calling, we should say YES immediately (How obvious was that?).

So far, what I've seen is that our supporters have been generous but the support hasn't been anywhere near enough to support a move up. For reference, see the SHAC issues. BTW, expecting the STATE of North Dakota to pitch in is a pipe dream. If the word NEVER can be used, this is where it applies. That ain't changing folks.

Just a reminder to newer posters, FBS has both BCS and non-BCS conferences. It is much less likely NDSU gets a BCS conference bid.
    Nope. All of the FBS conferences are members of the BCS. There are AQ conferences and that is getting rearranged now.

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

No need to until they get a legit playoff system
    The fella that watches the CFL

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Nope. All of the FBS conferences are members of the BCS. There are AQ conferences and that is getting rearranged now.
    I think you know what he meant. He referred to it the way that 99% of the talking heads and fans refer to it.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Reminder, in FBS football, there are conferences that have BCS automatic qualifiers and those who do not. NDSU going to an FBS conference with an auto qualifier is quite unlikely.

Reminder, in FBS football, there are conferences that have BCS automatic qualifiers and those who do not. NDSU going to an FBS conference with an auto qualifier is quite unlikely.
    How about Big 5* and Little 5**?

*Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC, ACC
    **MWC, MAC, AAC, C-USA, SBC

just in case these got missed by some people in my other post i'm going to put them in this thread too. I think they are great reads for the "move to FBS" folks

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sp...spn.html?_r=2&

part 2 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sp...and-by-tv.html

part 3 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/sp...tml?ref=sports

$$$$$$$$$. That's what it is all about. NDSU doesn't have enough of it. New stadium? OK, someone just write the check for 300 million. The athletic budget would have to expand by 10 times. Insanely difficult. Another factor is location for a conference to want to make money off of a market. The Fargo tv market is not big enough for any FBS comference to be begging us to join. The mountain west would be the only option, I just don't see it. Let's just dominate in our level as long as we can. With the ever changing landscape of DI football changing every day, it would be wise to sit back and just see where everything lies before we jump to do anything.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I think you know what he meant. He referred to it the way that 99% of the talking heads and fans refer to it.
    Agreed. That's true and MAC, MWC etc programs get no more respect in their eyes than NDSU does right now. Guys like Kirk Herbstreit have zero respect for anybody that isn't in one of the big 5 conferences. So, unless we are in one of those conferences, we really aren't any better off.