Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Klosterman says it would be possible to go FBS......

Default Re: Chuck Klosterman says it would be possible to go FBS......

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I think the ESPN guy is saying there is a window of opportunity....with the upheaval in FBS conferences combined with NDSU's national exposure, i.e., marketability, a situation has been created that may be conducive for moving up. Yes, we are regionally isolated; however, on a national stage being isolated makes us unique and unique is a marketable commodity. Put another way, NDSU and its success is fresh. Markets love fresh, markets need fresh.

Furthermore, the notion that some of these conferences will never do this, never do that can change overnight.

I read somewhere that ESPN (the King maker) essentially paved the way for Boise State. I also read that ESPN really calls all the shots when it comes to college football---if espn suggests a certain college should get an invite to a certain conference, said school gets an invite to said conference. We have their premier college football program camped downtown and a ESPN writer (UN_ Grad) pimping SU. I am not saying ESPN has decided to make NDSU their next project, but they seem to be sniffing around.

IF our ambition is to move up then Yes this is when you put a few pieces in place.
    Prepare to play on Fridays (and other nights) then. Some people might not care but I'm just saying.

BRING BACK SNORTY

i agree with him

You also have to realize if football moves up there will never be another national championship for NDSU, EVER! Just something to think about.

With the upheaval in all of the conferences you cant really say ever...EVER...who knows how it all might shake out. There Might be 3 D1 national championship games per season in a few years.

Also, will the FCS be the old D2 in a few years---some would say it already looks very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 75NOVA View Post
    You also have to realize if football moves up there will never be another national championship for NDSU, EVER! Just something to think about.

Well, I'm going to ha w to relish the playoffs as much as I can and expect that will be NDSUs last playoff game ever from here on out.

Moto X

I like his Duke analogy of a smaller arena despite the fact the could build a 20k seater with ease

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I think the ESPN guy is saying there is a window of opportunity....with the upheaval in FBS conferences combined with NDSU's national exposure, i.e., marketability, a situation has been created that may be conducive for moving up. Yes, we are regionally isolated; however, on a national stage being isolated makes us unique and unique is a marketable commodity. Put another way, NDSU and its success is fresh. Markets love fresh, markets need fresh.

Furthermore, the notion that some of these conferences will never do this, never do that can change overnight.

I read somewhere that ESPN (the King maker) essentially paved the way for Boise State. I also read that ESPN really calls all the shots when it comes to college football---if espn suggests a certain college should get an invite to a certain conference, said school gets an invite to said conference. We have their premier college football program camped downtown and a ESPN writer (UN_ Grad) pimping SU. I am not saying ESPN has decided to make NDSU their next project, but they seem to be sniffing around.

IF our ambition is to move up then Yes this is when you put a few pieces in place.
    You getting that feeling too? I just wish we didn't have something like 15 years left on our flood protection sales taxes. If we were only at 6% or 6.5%, I could see at least a conversation happening about finding some way to expand the Fargodome. A conversation that could draw ESPN and FBS conferences to take a hard look at us as a project. But I feel like we're struggling with two windows of opportunity that just can't quite line up. I would love to be wrong. (I absolutely oppose the idea of an outdoor stadium plus an FBS move; I feel they're mutually exclusive.)

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    I would consider MAC but only as a football only school. If it was all sports I dont see how NDSU could afford the travel.
    That Klosterman article really pushed me forward on this. He is looking at this very objectively as a UND grad living in the East. My only comment is MAC is not high enough for NDSU. NDSU should want Mountain West as the lowest rung they'd accept or stay put. Honestly, with the craziness going one, I really don't think Big 12 is out of the question even if extremely unlikely. Honestly, Big 12 is probably where NDSU belongs.

I was opposed to the BCS idea until this season. The national attention we have gotten by beating Kansas State is way more than we did with winning the national titles. Of course, I think the titles helped get out name out there too. I'm still not sure which way NDSU should go on this but I think they need to at least look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan13 View Post
    I was opposed to the BCS idea until this season. The national attention we have gotten by beating Kansas State is way more than we did with winning the national titles. Of course, I think the titles helped get out name out there too. I'm still not sure which way NDSU should go on this but I think they need to at least look into it.
    Just a reminder to newer posters, FBS has both BCS and non-BCS conferences. It is much less likely NDSU gets a BCS conference bid.