Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larson to SDSU hoops

Default Re: Larson to SDSU hoops

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    So why was he granted a waiver? The NCAA has not granted waivers to kids due with legit health issues (either their own or in the family). There seems to be no reason to me he should be eligible to play right away.
    The NCAA is not known for consistency in these cases - massive understatement.

However, the NCAA thought the submissions Cody and SDSU made warranted the waiver. You, nor I, have any idea what his submissions to the NCAA contained. It may be that Cody had everything in order to obtain the waiver, whereas, other student-athletes have failed to do so. It really is impossible to tell.

As another example, David Hettiger, a DT for SDSU last year, who could have obtained an additional year if the NCAA granted his request, was denied a while back. Hettiger played at UNO but obviously had to find a new school when UNO disbanded the program.

I too agree that it makes no sense to deny kids with legitimate reasons beyond their own doing, yet grant kids who willingly get themselves into trouble extra years.

It's out of my control and over and done now though. Here's to a three peat!
    Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I remember talk like this in 2007. What if we run the table? What if we get a bowl invite? What if they vote us #1 even though we can't play in the playoffs? We ended that season with a loss to SDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    So why was he granted a waiver? The NCAA has not granted waivers to kids due with legit health issues (either their own or in the family). There seems to be no reason to me he should be eligible to play right away.
    I would guess his academic progress played a factor, as did his sitting out last season although remaining enrolled at Florida. I believe the application included a strong endorsement from Billy Donovan (probably a short step below an endorsement from Coach K). There may have been other extenuating circumstances unknown to the public like the health issues you mentioned. But nobody outside the NCAA really knows.

IMO, the NCAA is a joke when it comes to these things. People should have a pretty good idea of the way the application is going to fall, it does seem extremely arbitrary.

At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic about Larson's future at SDSU. I doubt he is player of the year material, but he could be all-league. Who knows. Coach Nagy certainly seems excited. http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/pos...uesday-tidbits

Assuming point guard play is ok, SDSU could be in the conversation about another tournament run.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I too agree that it makes no sense to deny kids with legitimate reasons beyond their own doing, yet grant kids who willingly get themselves into trouble extra years.

It's out of my control and over and done now though. Here's to a three peat!
    Just wanted to point out the NCAA didn't grant Cody any extra years of eligibility. They essentially waived the sit/transfer year, giving him one of his existing years of eligibility back. Maybe splitting hairs, but considering he sat out last season anyway, not too far of a stretch, IMO.

I would really like to see an in-depth article about how the waiver process works. It does seem like kids with legitimate reasons are turned down while others are accepted, but then again we are likely privy to a small part of the information for individual cases. Maybe it all makes perfect sense at NCAA headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Just wanted to point out the NCAA didn't grant Cody any extra years of eligibility. They essentially waived the sit/transfer year, giving him one of his existing years of eligibility back. Maybe splitting hairs, but considering he sat out last season anyway, not too far of a stretch, IMO.

I would really like to see an in-depth article about how the waiver process works. It does seem like kids with legitimate reasons are turned down while others are accepted, but then again we are likely privy to a small part of the information for individual cases. Maybe it all makes perfect sense at NCAA headquarters.
    Correct. I meant "extra" in the sense that IMO, he probably should've not been granted this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I remember talk like this in 2007. What if we run the table? What if we get a bowl invite? What if they vote us #1 even though we can't play in the playoffs? We ended that season with a loss to SDSU.