Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bison fans are spoiled

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Bison fans are spoiled

As I watched, and rewatched the K-state game, the Ferris State game as well as other recent Bison games, I realized I have become accustomed to a quality of football that is making it difficult to appreciate non-bison games. We are physical, disciplined, composed, tough, smart, and outstanding in execution. I watched some of the Vikes lions game yesterday and they may be pro, and have top notch athletes but both teams play garbage football. Sloppy, stupid penalties and uncountable mistakes. You watch almost anticipating the next bit of self destruction...it's pathetic. Many college programs are similar. We bison fans get upset and taken back if our defense doesn't force 3 and outs or turnovers every time. We have something very special and definitely need to appreciate it.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bison fans are spoiled

One aspect that I have noticed is a huge reduction in the personal foul penalties (Saturday's leading-with-the-head questionable call notwithstanding). Other teams get pissed off and lose their temper, but the Bison have learned how to keep it together and not retaliate.

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When other teams make plays I just think of what Coach Bohl says "they have some some good players too." Yes, Bison fans have been spoiled the last couple of years. My advice is enjoy it while we can. I remember the 2006 and 2007 teams very well but the next couple of years were poor by Bison standards.

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

The little things and fundamentals are what we have become used to. They don't lose their cool and they make the right decisions.

One of the little things for me was on the fumble that Olson recovered this last game in the second quarter. Jirik didn't dive into get his hands on the ball. He saw Olson clearly had it and was going into a fetal position to cover it so he jumped on top of him and pulled his legs up and head down to protect anyone from getting to the ball if they were to dive onto the pile. It was about the team getting the ball not Jirik getting to the ball. I saw a play in the NFL yesterday where the second guy came flying in and actually knocked the ball away from his own teammate instead of working with him to recover the ball.

Speaking of penalties, the first game had only on one NDSU and 2 on K-State.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Watched the Mississippi Valley State and Florida A and M game on 9/1. Was a MEAC vs SWAC showcase game. I know these are both lower division FCS teams but my god they were awful. There were 28 total penalties, too many turnovers to count, couldn't get the right personal on the field, qb's couldn't complete a pass. After watching a quarter of this I realized how well coached we really are. When was the last time the Bison had to take a timeout because the wrong personal were on the field. I knew we have something special going here!

...as it should be.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

It's kind of funny. A few weeks ago a Wofford fan made a post on AGS.com to the effect of "Man, opening up with an FBS game this season sucks. It stinks to open up with a blowout loss." My response was more or less "Then win it, jeez. Quitcher bitchin'." Only later I thought on it and really realized that only a select few FCS teams can expect to go and consistently match and defeat our higher-tier FBS brethren like we can. It's a luxury that I'm sure few teams enjoy, and one that won't be fun to inevitably come down off of once this string of good fortune for NDSU runs out, whether that be with Bohl's departure, this senior class's graduation, a move to the FBS, whatever. It's daunting to think that the future might hold something different than the success that we enjoy now but it's no reason to enjoy the present any less.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

If you guys noticed on Saturday, we raised a banner with ten national championships on it. The type of discipline that you've accurately described has been a trait of the program for a long, long time. There's no reason to believe that it will go away once this senior class, or the current coach, leaves. It's engrained. We had a couple of bad seasons mainly because we didn't have an outstanding quarterback on the field.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think as long as Bohl is coach we will be consistently competitive. He has learned much, knows what needs to be accomplished in practices, knows what to looks for in recruits and assistant coaches in regards to the system he runs, and now I'm assuming that recruiting is going to get easier in coming years. We may have some struggles but, at this point, I would be surprised to see us revert back to 2008-2009 form. I hope he stays. If we do go FBS in coming years I would hope he would be at the helm.