Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

Default Re: Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

Back in my day it was called "spearing". Did that rule disappear for a while?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Back in my day it was called "spearing". Did that rule disappear for a while?
    HS still uses the term "spearing". By definition in HS any contact initiated with the top of your helmet is spearing. Defenseless is not a factor, offense/defense is not a factor.

This type of contact has been illegal in NCAA for at least the last 6 years but not sure if it was called "targeting" prior to that. What has changed over the years has been the philosophy about this rule. A few years ago they thought it was called too loosely and made it a point of emphasis. This didn't work so they updated the penalty to an automatic ejection. It has definitely gotten everyone's attention.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm watching the Alabama/A&M game, because Bama is the NDSU of FBS. Bama just got called for targeting on a very questionable flag. DB went up for the ball, and he and the WR collided. At least the booth reviewed it and didn't kick him out, but they still got the 15 yarder. I'm sure this will be on youtube soon enough.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    I'm watching the Alabama/A&M game, because Bama is the NDSU of FBS. Bama just got called for targeting on a very questionable flag. DB went up for the ball, and he and the WR collided. At least the booth reviewed it and didn't kick him out, but they still got the 15 yarder. I'm sure this will be on youtube soon enough.
    Also saw this, cheering for aTm because I've met way too many overly obnoxious Bama fans in my life, bad call on the field, booth made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    Saw this as well. Bunch of crap call and rule. There should have been no yardage allowed. Makes no sense, a no call is a no call. This rule needs to be fixed ASAP. Replay review should be required.

The guy was trying to intercept the ball and they still gave him a 15yd penalty? They just couldn't admit they botched the call. Why don't they mandate a foam cover on the helmet like the dude from the Buffalo Bills used to wear?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt