Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

Default Re: Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I wasn't thinking about the hit today but rather in any case where an official makes the wrong call, the mistake can be minimized. I didn't know about the review process when it carries over to the next game. I thought that was automatic. Hopefully this is at all levels of college football.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    I'm pretty sure I heard about a week 1 ejection being reversed for some FBS player(the week 2, 1st half part of it). Don't recall hearing which team or conference.

edit: A quick google check shows it was Chris McCain of Cal that was the player, and it was the Pac-12 that overturned it. Must be a conference by conference thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard about a week 1 ejection being reversed for some FBS player(the week 2, 1st half part of it). Don't recall hearing which team or conference.

edit: A quick google check shows it was Chris McCain of Cal that was the player, and it was the Pac-12 that overturned it. Must be a conference by conference thing.
    I should have read the rest of the article;

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ule_resul.html

A panel from College Football Officiating LLC, headed by Redding, has some authority to overturn targeting fouls in games where replay is not present. That mostly would impact Football Championship Subdivision, Division II and Division III games.

In the case of McCain's hit, "we treated it like a game under normal circumstances that doesn't have replay," Redding said.

Redding said the CFO panel received only one request by a conference for a review. Redding did not have targeting ejection numbers on FCS, D-II and D-III games.
    *Redding is national coordinator of officials

Do like they did in rugby, make a rule that says when you make a tackle you have to control them to the ground. This would eliminate the big blow up hits and ensure you wrap up every play.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The reason the rules committee (made up of coaches and not officials BTW) has increased the penalty for targeting is because the game we love is under attack. Concussions are a huge concern and past attempts to get players to remove the head from the game have not worked. If they aren't able to get players to change technique, football could eventually go the way of boxing. Youth leagues are starting to see major reductions in participation already. The popularity of the game will sustain it for awhile, but if behaviors aren't changed it could be in significant jeopardy. None of us want to see that. You have to accept the possibility of some cracked eggs when addressing this.

If anyone has any other ideas to get players to tackle properly I'd love to hear them.

Also, the rule is there to protect the tackler as much as it is the opponent. They are just as susceptible to head injuries as the guy receiving the hit.

They can already do that!

[QUOTE=td577;761893]
    Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post

Maybe the answer is an appeal process where a coach can submit video evidence to the ncaa and the next game penalty can be challenged. If there is undeniable evidence then make the appeal. There would have to be some sort of negative consequence if the coach wasted their time. I don't know what that would be because it can't be more punishment for the involved player. Lose a scholarship next year? At least then only very well defined misjudgment would be challenged.

NCAA wide rule....It does not necessarily carry over to the next game, It caries over to the next half of football. Thus if the hit is in the first half you are out for the rest of the half and all of the secound half of that game. If it occurs in the second half you are out for the rest of the game and the first half of the next game. Also, If the hit occured in the second half of a game it can be reviewed an overturned prior to the next game. At least that is how I have heard it explained on two different channels now

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I wasn't thinking about the hit today but rather in any case where an official makes the wrong call, the mistake can be minimized. I didn't know about the review process when it carries over to the next game. I thought that was automatic. Hopefully this is at all levels of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    At this rate we will be watching flag football in 10yrs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I played flag football in sixth grade 35 years ago and there were still some heads getting hurt (concussions).

Just watched the play several times. Bullshit ejection. That was a good football hit. Officials wrong again. From what I saw he was not head hunting

From what I remember, the Ferris State player took a few steps after catching the ball so he wasn't defenseless. Was there contact made with the crown of his helmet?

Here's the definition of targeting I could find on the interweb:

• No player shall target and initiate contact vs. opponent with the crown of his helmet.
    • No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent
    It's OK to not be OK.

So if don't eliminate concussions, football will cease to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    From what I remember, the Ferris State player took a few steps after catching the ball so he wasn't defenseless. Was there contact made with the crown of his helmet?

Here's the definition of targeting I could find on the interweb:

• No player shall target and initiate contact vs. opponent with the crown of his helmet.
    • No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent
    After seeing it again during the Coach Bohl, and it was discussed by Bohl. I think Bohl agreed with the penalty, but not the ejection.
    Review for ejection possibility is not something in the MVFC rules.