Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

The reason the rules committee (made up of coaches and not officials BTW) has increased the penalty for targeting is because the game we love is under attack. Concussions are a huge concern and past attempts to get players to remove the head from the game have not worked. If they aren't able to get players to change technique, football could eventually go the way of boxing. Youth leagues are starting to see major reductions in participation already. The popularity of the game will sustain it for awhile, but if behaviors aren't changed it could be in significant jeopardy. None of us want to see that. You have to accept the possibility of some cracked eggs when addressing this.

If anyone has any other ideas to get players to tackle properly I'd love to hear them.

Also, the rule is there to protect the tackler as much as it is the opponent. They are just as susceptible to head injuries as the guy receiving the hit.

Default Re: Game Under Attack - Helmet Contact

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The reason the rules committee (made up of coaches and not officials BTW) has increased the penalty for targeting is because the game we love is under attack. Concussions are a huge concern and past attempts to get players to remove the head from the game have not worked. If they aren't able to get players to change technique, football could eventually go the way of boxing. Youth leagues are starting to see major reductions in participation already. The popularity of the game will sustain it for awhile, but if behaviors aren't changed it could be in significant jeopardy. None of us want to see that. You have to accept the possibility of some cracked eggs when addressing this.

If anyone has any other ideas to get players to tackle properly I'd love to hear them.

Also, the rule is there to protect the tackler as much as it is the opponent. They are just as susceptible to head injuries as the guy receiving the hit.
    The problem becomes the speed of the game with officiating. And as an official I say this more than ever. The bang bang hits and judgement calls become the norm. Where one game a hit is a penalty and the next it is not. The rule as written is not a bad rule, and the ejection portion isn't terrible either. We aren't the first valley team to be hit with this either as ISUB had a LB ejected on a punt return. It hasn't been as bad as everyone predicted, but the point is being made that there are some hits that can be effected.

I hate to watch Sat football and point to Sun rules, but the Moore hit on Thursday night is a prime example of a player learning. He was flagged and ejected 2 times last year during the preseason and became very timid. He learned the rules and still hits hard in the strike zone.

Leather helmets.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    The problem becomes the speed of the game with officiating. And as an official I say this more than ever. The bang bang hits and judgement calls become the norm. Where one game a hit is a penalty and the next it is not. The rule as written is not a bad rule, and the ejection portion isn't terrible either. We aren't the first valley team to be hit with this either as ISUB had a LB ejected on a punt return. It hasn't been as bad as everyone predicted, but the point is being made that there are some hits that can be effected.

I hate to watch Sat football and point to Sun rules, but the Moore hit on Thursday night is a prime example of a player learning. He was flagged and ejected 2 times last year during the preseason and became very timid. He learned the rules and still hits hard in the strike zone.
    The hit by ISU last week against Indiana was as easy as they get. Grandma in the top row could have made that hit. He got him before the ball arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Leather helmets.

Some have said (hopefully jokingly) that getting rid of helmets is the only way to get players to change.

The hit by ISU last week against Indiana was as easy as they get. Grandma in the top row could have made that hit. He got him before the ball arrived.
    Agree 100%, just pointing out we aren't the first and won't be the last. I know Bohl and his staff are very proactive with coaching to prevent this stuff.

Some have said (hopefully jokingly) that getting rid of helmets is the only way to get players to change.

I am somewhat in that camp. Just like the greater protection by boxing gloves creates more powerful punches.

I am too lazy to look it up now, but it would be interesting to see concussion rates in rugby versus football.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    I am somewhat in that camp. Just like the greater protection by boxing gloves creates more powerful punches.

I am too lazy to look it up now, but it would be interesting to see concussion rates in rugby versus football.

Soccer (especially girls) has a higher concussion rate compared to football. It has more to do with heading the ball than anything. More kids get concussions from riding bike as well. It's not a valid argument to defend football though. Football still has a problem and needs to fix it. This is the latest attempt.

Soccer (especially girls) has a higher concussion rate compared to football. It has more to do with heading the ball than anything. More kids get concussions from riding bike as well. It's not a valid argument to defend football though. Football still has a problem and needs to fix it. This is the latest attempt.

The vast majority of studies I've seen show football as having he highest rate, with the UNC study of 100k students ranking girls soccer around 5th or 6th.

I would consider riding a bike in nearly the same category as breathing. Nearly every kid does it, so there will be plenty of concussions but how many per 1000 or per hour of activity?

I'd say the rugby to football would be a better comparison.

At this rate we will be watching flag football in 10yrs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt