Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of the road for Coach Bohl at NDSU?

Hybrid View

Default Is this the end of the road for Coach Bohl at NDSU?

Could not sleep once this thought hit me; will the run at NDSU finally be over after this year?

Let's be honest, the only record he has left to claim at NDSU will fall this year when he becomes the all time win leading coach. He also has an excellent shot at a third national title. He is at the point that NDSU is going to start naming things after him... There are no more realistic lofty goals, other than seeing how long you can sustain a dynasty.

We also know he has a tremendous loyalty to Gene Taylor. I really think that is a big part of the reason he has refused to leave for second rung FBS jobs.

But, will this be it? That game on Friday rattled those BCS conference cages and gained the national spotlight. He, along with Brock Jensen, were the talk of the town. Are we naive to think a BCS conference AD/President did not take notice?

So, what say you, is this the year Coach Bohl gets a BCS offer? If so, will he take it? (I am specifically asking about BCS offers, not crap second tier FBS offers.) My goodness, what about when Coach Snyder retires again? I'd think that would be a dream job for him.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is this the end of the road for Coach Bohl at NDSU?

I'm sure the number of calls will go up. I have no idea if he would seriously consider them. Some people are very happy where they are. He's worked at that level and may or may not want it.

After Brad Stevens turned down several college offers he finally took one with the NBA. Bohl wouldn't jump to an NFL head coaching job but I wonder if he would consider a key assistant position. As far as I'm concerned he can do whatever he wants.

I really think that it could be, and it's hard to think of this program as a "stepping stone" to bigger and better things, but that's a possibility when you've done what Bohl's done. Now, if there were promises of a bigger stadium and him possibly leading a charge into FBS you might see him stay. If he gets offered an AQ job I have a hard time seeing him stay as they will offer between 3-5x his salary.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Considering he makes 1/10 of what some decent FBS coaches make....... Now I have anxiety!!!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    You Gotsta Love Those BISON!

GOBISON123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Could not sleep once this thought hit me; will the run at NDSU finally be over after this year?

Let's be honest, the only record he has left to claim at NDSU will fall this year when he becomes the all time win leading coach. He also has an excellent shot at a third national title. He is at the point that NDSU is going to start naming things after him... There are no more realistic lofty goals, other than seeing how long you can sustain a dynasty.

We also know he has a tremendous loyalty to Gene Taylor. I really think that is a big part of the reason he has refused to leave for second rung FBS jobs.

But, will this be it? That game on Friday rattled those BCS conference cages and gained the national spotlight. He, along with Brock Jensen, were the talk of the town. Are we naive to think a BCS conference AD/President did not take notice?

So, what say you, is this the year Coach Bohl gets a BCS offer? If so, will he take it? (I am specifically asking about BCS offers, not crap second tier FBS offers.) My goodness, what about when Coach Snyder retires again? I'd think that would be a dream job for him.

There are some intangibles that Coach Bohl cannot get if he moves to other schools. Besides money

a) His wife is working here
    b) His son goes to college here
    c) Part2 or Part3 of Bison Football is all his brain child
    d) Fans absolutely love him

He cannot get all these if he moves to a bigger school. Heck they even want him to replace Synder in K-State they dont mind he comes from a Huskie background but I dont think Coach Bohl will throw away all these just for money and some exposure on ESPN. And there is a huge risk of failure. I would take $200/300k per year for next 10 years over $2 millions for may be 2 or 3 years.

Yea IDK. He's obviously the king of the city, literally all of his family members are here, he's got it made comfortably financially and would be a contributor of possibly moving up if ever the time comes.

He's 55 too. Id be more nervous if he was 45 or 50. We'd have to be talking about a once in a lifetime job at Nebraska or another power for him to leave Fargo IMO. Even if it was Iowa St, Illinois, NC State or whatever.. I don't think he'll be persuaded that easily. Id doubt hed want to put time into an FBS stepping stone school and probably losing his shot at coaching a power if he doesn't turn that team around.

He's secured for life at NDSU.

I was asked about this today as well. IMO it's a Big 10 or Big 12 job or nothing. Hope he's around for a long while. Maybe he will be like Jerry Moore at App St and stick around for 20+years. Another 10-12 years would be pretty cool.
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EPBison View Post
    I was asked about this today as well. IMO it's a Big 10 or Big 12 job or nothing. Hope he's around for a long while. Maybe he will be like Jerry Moore at App St and stick around for 20+years. Another 10-12 years would be pretty cool.
    The difference is that Moore ended up at Appy State after a failed five year stint at Texas State. He was out of coaching for a while after that miserable failure. Moore was never going to get another big time gig anyway. That is true for Bohl.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GOBISON123 View Post
    He cannot get all these if he moves to a bigger school. Heck they even want him to replace Synder in K-State they dont mind he comes from a Huskie background but I dont think Coach Bohl will throw away all these just for money and some exposure on ESPN. And there is a huge risk of failure. I would take $200/300k per year for next 10 years over $2 millions for may be 2 or 3 years.
    I won't speculate if Bohl might leave, but I'd imagine he'd get a deal worth $10 million guaranteed.

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Coach Bohl, someday, will no longer be with the team. Hopefully, it will be because of a well-earned retirement. This is also true for the assistants, AD, individual players, and even fans and boosters. The team needs to remain diligent about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd. Foster an organization where people want to stay. Camaraderie and being a part of a well-oiled machine go a very long way against simple money. A great organization will attract ever-better people to join it and continue the tradition when veterans inevitably leave. Hire people that, when they're gone, hope that they've left the team in a position to break all of their records.