Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Gateway really a good idea?

Jeffdaryl3rd Guest

Default Re: Is the Gateway really a good idea?

I like the 9 team conference idea. You have eight conference games a year and most importantly in my mind, you play everyone, EVERY year. I hate it when occaisionally some team will throw up a good season and win the conference, when they are inferior to another team that they never played. This way, you have to win to win the conference championship and the scheduler can't bail you out. Nine team Gateway is the way for NDSU to go.

GFBisonFan Guest

is the gateway a good idea-that is retarded.

BRING ON THE COMPETITION!!

broke_back_mnt Guest

If it happened, the existing team that has to join the west should get travel allowance from the others in the west division. *I dont have any problem with that.

Jdubs21 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

yeah get in hte toughest confrence and prove we are the best team...u gain more respect by being the top of a good confrence...not by being the best of a not so good one although the great west isnt filled with bad teams either

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubs21
    yeah get in hte toughest confrence and prove we are the best team...u gain more respect by being the top of a good confrence...not by being the best of a not so good one although the great west isnt filled with bad teams either
    Last I checked, the GWFC was ranked #1 in DI-AA.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by CarringtonBison
    is the gateway a good idea-that is retarded.

BRING ON THE COMPETITION!!

It's not retarted. Your just missing the point of the thread.

I personally think it's a great idea too, and like what someone pointed out, the best possible competition throughout the season will make a playoff team ready for that calibur football.

Quote Originally Posted by kchats
    Division I-AA playoffs are much different than division II. *Teams usually have some losses going into the playoffs. *Gateway is the place to be. *Great West has some great teams but 5 teams isn't really a conference. *I wish UCD and Cal-Poly could be a part of it too.
    It's an interesting point.

I would be curious to know how many losses a team can have, or has had over the years in D1AA playoffs, to be considered borderline in, or out, of the playoffs if they did not recieve an automatic bid.

kchats Guest

Northern Iowa had 3 or 4 losses last year and made it to the Championship game. I saw them lose at Missouri State when their QB got hurt.

My problem with the Great West is all the travel, NDSU has traveled everywhere this year and if we had a low seed we would be traveling all over in the playoffs. Travel isn't exactly a piece of cake in the Gateway but it's not nearly as bad. Also with the Gateway I could actually afford to go on a road trip, UNI wouldn't be too bad and ISU and SIU are doable.

Throw in the fact that the Gateway usually gets three teams in the playoffs, provides 8 conference games making scheduling way easier, and could even possibly open a door to the MVC sometime down the road and this decision is a slam dunk. I love the Cali schools but the Gateway just makes too much sense to possibly say no.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico
    [quote author=kchats link=1162680500/0#6 date=1162688357]Division I-AA playoffs are much different than division II. *Teams usually have some losses going into the playoffs. *Gateway is the place to be. *Great West has some great teams but 5 teams isn't really a conference. *I wish UCD and Cal-Poly could be a part of it too.
    It's an interesting point.

I would be curious to know how many losses a team can have, or has had over the years in D1AA playoffs, to be considered borderline in, or out, of the playoffs if they did not recieve an automatic bid.
    [/quote]

Championship Selection
    [Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
    At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA football committee, assisted by
    four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
    The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
    1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
    complete the bracket;
    2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one
    conference;
    3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
    schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
    not being selected;

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
    Division I opponents; and
    5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved