Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Perry Suspended for Opener

Default Re: Perry Suspended for Opener

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    Hey now, rather assuming to say he was leaving a bar...perhaps he was spending the night in the arms of a girl from Louisiana and a replay of that night is rolling through his mind, except a scene or two erased by sweet red wine..
    I thought something not so much like that as I typed my post. Yes, it could be he was coming from someplace else other than a bar.......still could have arranged for a ride. Just sayin...........

He was probably on his way home from work.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Everyone who gets arrested gets their name in the paper---But I get your point. Thing is just because one gets their name slung through the media does not equate to being held to a higher standard. The STANDARDS to which NDSU students are held are the same for every students. What your talking about is exposure---similar, but very different.

80K for a chemistry experiment--- You forget SU's primary purpose is not to produce football players. SU's mandate is to provide knowledge and solutions to issues impacting the State. Again, in the grand scheme of things the implications of that student conducting an "experiment" may be exponentially more profound than a football game.

BTW---I get how sports raises SU's profile, just as I get how being a national recognized research University raises SU's profile. The two go hand in hand which is the basses of my argument----no student is held to a higher standard above and beyond another, they are held to the same standard----why because they are equally important. Stated another way--- No one sport, no one academic program, no one student is more important than the other its the SU Team, the SU Team, the SU Team.
    That may sound nice for an NDSU pamphlet or on the NDSU website, but it isn't reality.

NDSU football players are the most visible students on campus and arguably some of the most visible individuals in Fargo. Why do you think the forum puts NDSU players mugshots on the front page of the paper? It sells papers, people are interested in what these kids are doing. It works both for and against the University, mostly against in the case of the Foolem.

The reality is, in the public's eyes, athletes are always viewed with more scrutiny than the "regular" public. It doesn't matter if it's high school, college or the NFL. Society routinely expects athletes to do more than a "normal" member of society, because they are seen as leaders. Right or wrong that's the way it is, I think we could both come up with hundreds of examples that show this to be true. Hell, Adrian Peterson got his picture in the paper for getting a speeding ticket. I sure as hell know I didn't make the front page with my last speeding ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    He was probably on his way home from work.
    Where does he work that they allow him to drink?

I agree with DD being dangers and dumb, but I get a bit annoyed by how some think DD is the ultimate indicator of dangerous driving.

DUI laws are more about generating revenue than saving lives. If DUI laws were really about saving lives, we would not allow eating in cars, take out the radios, and regulate the adult to kid ratio. If you are interested in saving lives, you start with the top issues causing accidents not in the middle of the pack.

Sorry for the rant--- its just irritating when people denigrate and demonize others who makes a mistake or even an occasional mistake, but find it OK for themselves or others to drive around in their minivans packed full kids.
    Last edited by MAKBison; 08-08-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I agree with DD being dangers and dumb, but I get a bit annoyed by how some think DD is the ultimate indicator of dangerous driving.

DUI laws are more about generating revenue than saving lives. If DUI laws laws really about saving lives, we would not allow eating in cars, take out the radios, and regulate the adult to kid ratio. If you are interested in saving lives, you start with the top issues causing accidents not in the middle of the pack.

Sorry for the rant--- its just irritating when You see someone rail against the issue then get in their minivan packed full kids
    I agree. Sadly, many of our laws are more politically driven than results driven.

Bottom line for me when it comes to these players is this. If Coach Bohl told the entire team to do something as ridiculous as not speak for a month in preparation for this season because that gives them the best opportunity to 3 peat, I would expect them to comply. Not breaking the law, no matter which law it is, shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I expect too much in some of your guys' eyes. The lesson of self discipline will translate more to other areas of their future than any other lesson they learn while playing college football.

hes a bouncer at pickled parrot, it was north fargo at 1:45 am? so maybe he had 3-4 drinks and drove home and blew a .09. its unfortunate but he probably didn't put anyone in danger and yes 1 in 7 in Minnesota has a dui cops love giving them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    Where does he work that they allow him to drink?
    Lots of people stop off after work to have a few. which also underscores the absurdity that DUI enforcement is about safety.

Go to the HODO or anywhere around 4-6pm. Look and see who is just off work and throwing back a few. Note who this demographic represents (people with means, that vote and can impact policy). Ask yourself why is it that Cops dont really mess with this crowd. why do they focus on the the 2 am crowd instead. is a 6pm DD less dangerous than a 2am DD.

Sorry in general, the hypocrisy that surrounds this issue just gets my blood boiling.

I am right there with you. My point is made to be more in general than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    I agree. Sadly, many of our laws are more politically driven than results driven.

Bottom line for me when it comes to these players is this. If Coach Bohl told the entire team to do something as ridiculous as not speak for a month in preparation for this season because that gives them the best opportunity to 3 peat, I would expect them to comply. Not breaking the law, no matter which law it is, shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I expect too much in some of your guys' eyes. The lesson of self discipline will translate more to other areas of their future than any other lesson they learn while playing college football.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsfan View Post
    hes a bouncer at pickled parrot, it was north fargo at 1:45 am? so maybe he had 3-4 drinks and drove home and blew a .09. its unfortunate but he probably didn't put anyone in danger and yes 1 in 7 in Minnesota has a dui cops love giving them out.
    Making excuses for Leevon using hypothetical situations isn't going to help him or the team.

Unless I missed the details of his arrest, we don't know what his BAC was. Maybe he was a 0.25? It's all speculative