Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: University of Oregon's new Football Performance Center

Default Re: University of Oregon's new Football Performance Center

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Easily one of the best states in the country. Plus their tournament has one class so if you win that tournament, you're a badass.

Plus, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan are really good at the high school level. Minnesota also has many kids go D1 also.

Hopefully the Olympic committee keeps wrestling on.......sh**, it has been around for all of the Olympic games. It better stay. Some of these worthless sports they are considering taking on are pathetic.....roller sports, wakeboarding, squash, sport climbing and wushu.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wow. What kinda retards neg reps someone for this kinda talk. Keep doing it. It is pretty funny that you would even make the effort.

For the most part, wrestling is a small town sport here. There is just too much else going on in places like Portland, Eugene, Salem, etc. Soccer is huge here and very competitive. Lacrosse is also really expanding in the city. Go to smaller towns and the do have well developed programs, probably moreso than ND. That is why there is only one class. Also, and for what its worth, nobody that I know out here has ever really even talked to me about wrestling up until recently...because it is just not a big deal. The only reason that I have ever even heard much is because my new business partner is really big into it. He was state champ in Wyoming for three years in the late 80's. He'll actually goes to the state tourney and meets at OSU. He too is shocked by how little of a deal it is here...but definitely likes the fact that a small town kid can kick ass at the state level.

He's also involved in one of the organizations fighting for Olympic Wrestling. I definitely agree with that.

My point, wrestling is very clearly more akin to the character of OSU and certainly not the UofO. It was not even slightly surprising when they dropped it.

Hammerhead, back me up on this. Do you EVER have conversations about wrestling when you are talking with friends?
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Wow. What kinda retards neg reps someone for this kinda talk. Keep doing it. It is pretty funny that you would even make the effort.

For the most part, wrestling is a small town sport here. There is just too much else going on in places like Portland, Eugene, Salem, etc. Soccer is huge here and very competitive. Lacrosse is also really expanding in the city. Go to smaller towns and the do have well developed programs, probably moreso than ND. That is why there is only one class. Also, and for what its worth, nobody that I know out here has ever really even talked to me about wrestling up until recently...because it is just not a big deal. The only reason that I have ever even heard much is because my new business partner is really big into it. He was state champ in Wyoming for three years in the late 80's. He'll actually goes to the state tourney and meets at OSU. He too is shocked by how little of a deal it is here...but definitely likes the fact that a small town kid can kick ass at the state level.

He's also involved in one of the organizations fighting for Olympic Wrestling. I definitely agree with that.

My point, wrestling is very clearly more akin to the character of OSU and certainly not the UofO. It was not even slightly surprising when they dropped it.

Hammerhead, back me up on this. Do you EVER have conversations about wrestling when you are talking with friends?

Ya, after a stupid post that you responded to onbison with deserve it. The only 'retard' as you say, is you.

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    Ya, after a stupid post that you responded to onbison with deserve it. The only 'retard' as you say, is you.
    So you know more about the way it is in Oregon than me? Just because a few teams in Oregon did really well according to you stats doesn't mean that large amounts of people give a shit like you about the sport. 09 has gotten cranky about this before as if just because Uncle Phil really supports FB, BB, track and basebase, that he's the antichrist because he doesn't ALSO support wrestling. It is just weird logic to follow. I am not about to judge the man's priorities when it comes to his athletic giving. He knows his business.

It's not a coincidence that Oregon announced they were bringing back baseball in 2007 (and dropped the wrestling team at the end of the next academic year) right after Oregon State won their 2nd consecutive NCAA championship . Methinks the Ducks thought they could take down their rival.

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Is Acrobatics and Tumbling a big deal? But you're partially right. It's the university's decision not to extend the funding to keep their wrestling program. I know it wasn't a title IX issue because when I was at the NCAA Wrestling tournament the year they dropped their program they had a Save Oregon Wrestling fundraising table. I can't remember the exact number but I think it was around $100,000.

But ultimately this is just my opinion and you can have your opinion. I don't like the University of Oregon athletic program and I will point out what I think is hypocrisy by having a football facility with eleventy billion TVs. Sorry if that bothers you. Obviously you disagree and I have no problem with that.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Right, I forgot about that. Oh, and baseball is more relevant in the state than wrestling. It all makes sense. Wrestling was misplaced at the UofO, at least in the last few years, and it is almost completely un-missed by the university/students/alum and forgotten about by the public. It just felt like the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It's not a coincidence that Oregon announced they were bringing back baseball in 2007 (and dropped the wrestling team at the end of the next academic year) right after Oregon State won their 2nd consecutive NCAA championship . Methinks the Ducks thought they could take down their rival.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    So you know more about the way it is in Oregon than me? Just because a few teams in Oregon did really well according to you stats doesn't mean that large amounts of people give a shit like you about the sport. 09 has gotten cranky about this before as if just because Uncle Phil really supports FB, BB, track and basebase, that he's the antichrist because he doesn't ALSO support wrestling. It is just weird logic to follow. I am not about to judge the man's priorities when it comes to his athletic giving. He knows his business.

Go back and read your post there genius. Post #17. You said wrestling is 'non-existent on the west coast', which it is not. California and Arizona have great high school wrestling and there are 6 wrestling schools in the Pac-12. California along with Penn, Michigan, Ohio, NJ and MN have great HS wrestling.

I never said I know more about Oregon than you. Simply stating that it is not 'non-existent' as you claim it is.

Back on topic, Oregon's FPC is just a bit too much--wait, even more than a "bit too much". It actually does not even look like it is that practical from a use standpoint, let alone the maintenance to keep all of those hardwood (or whatever they are) floors clean and spot-free. Don't like it myself.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

MontBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    Go back and read your post there genius. Post #17. You said wrestling is 'non-existent on the west coast', which it is not. California and Arizona have great high school wrestling and there are 6 wrestling schools in the Pac-12. California along with Penn, Michigan, Ohio, NJ and MN have great HS wrestling.

I never said I know more about Oregon than you. Simply stating that it is not 'non-existent' as you claim it is.
    Did you miss the part where he responded to that statement by saying there is a high level of wrestling in those states because there happens to be a greater population? And FWIW wrestling is in fact irrelevant in the PNW, it doesn't fit in with the progressive thinking people.

Orygun, thanks for your posts. We can agree to disagree (I don't think we need to call anyone a retard) but I get that wrestling may not be popular everywhere. I just hate to see any program get cut.

BRING BACK SNORTY