Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re: Coach Craig Bohl

Default Question re: Coach Craig Bohl

I read where he signed an 8 year extension earlier this year that pays him $206k / year with a 5% annual bump meaning he'd be around $305k by 2021.

Also noted was the various bonus provisions revolving around ticket sales and post season participation. There's no way to calculate this figure, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say it's around $100k additional / year.

Another way coaches all make $ is summer camps and speaking engagements - let's say another $100k, arriving at a total in 2013 of approximately $406k.

My question is, with the great success Coach Bohl has had at NDSU, has there been interest from other schools in the past decade? If so, why has he elected to stay and do you ever see him leaving?

I'm not all trying to downplay your school for two reasons: 1) I really know next to nothing about NDSU, and, 2) the football success has been undeniable regardless of the level of play..

The fact of the matter is, as you review the link below, there are dozens of stiffs that none of us have ever heard of making twice as much as your coach. Just curious.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...abase/1715543/

Default Re: Question re: Coach Craig Bohl

Hes never publicly came out and said he's interviewed or even inquired about openings at other(FBS) schools. We've(those of us on bville and the fargo media) all kind of thought that while going to a lower end FBS school may be a stepping stone to bigger and better jobs...for what it is vs coaching at NDSU, its a lateral job, and probably even a step down(coaching at bowling green or buffalo etc).

his wife is from the area and his son(from a different marriage) plays football at a college across the river in Moorhead MN.

He's got it pretty good in Fargo, and it'd have to be a pretty big school(Nebraskaish(his alma mater)) for him to leave, IMO..especially since hes 54.

In Fargo, 400k might as well be millions. Especially since he probably never has to pick up a bar tab anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas State U View Post
    I read where he signed an 8 year extension earlier this year that pays him $206k / year with a 5% annual bump meaning he'd be around $305k by 2021.

Also noted was the various bonus provisions revolving around ticket sales and post season participation. There's no way to calculate this figure, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say it's around $100k additional / year.

Another way coaches all make $ is summer camps and speaking engagements - let's say another $100k, arriving at a total in 2013 of approximately $406k.

My question is, with the great success Coach Bohl has had at NDSU, has there been interest from other schools in the past decade? Yes. If so, why has he elected to stay and do you ever see him leaving? Several reasons we believe, his wife is from the area, his son is playing for a local D2 college, he likes the lakes area. He has coached in the FBS and has stated his dislike for that type of situation. I would say he only leaves for a BCS offer which is unlikely. Money is not the end all be all for everyone.

I'm not all trying to downplay your school for two reasons: 1) I really know next to nothing about NDSU, and, 2) the football success has been undeniable regardless of the level of play..

The fact of the matter is, as you review the link below, there are dozens of stiffs that none of us have ever heard of making twice as much as your coach. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    In Fargo, 400k might as well be millions. Especially since he probably never has to pick up a bar tab anywhere.
    Really?!?!?!?
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas State U View Post

My question is, with the great success Coach Bohl has had at NDSU, has there been interest from other schools in the past decade? If so, why has he elected to stay and do you ever see him leaving?

Its pretty certain that he did speak to Maturi the AD at the Gophers several years ago, about the position, however at the time WDAY sports in Fargo interviewed
    Maturi that Coach Bohl was one of the people that Gopher supporters said they did not want him to hire.

Also Maturi mentioned in the interview that people in Fargo had no idea how happy that Bohl was to be at NDSU. Also last year it was pointed out that
    Bohl and Taylor worked very hard to get the extension signed before so it not be an detraction for the playoffs.

Its common knowledge that Bohl will not acknowledge if he is interviewing at FBS schools by his personal preference.

We feel he is happy at NDSU.

I doubt that you'll find many people here that agree with me...

...but I think that the goal is for Bohl & Taylor to bring NDSU into the FBS over the next 7 or 8 years.

For sure, they'd love to win a couple more national titles in the FCS...but the real goal is to make the transition.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

I am pretty sure Coach Bohl has a price tag that could lure him from here. I also think it would take the perfect storm. Ndsu has a nice football facility, nice academic atmosphere, and a great booster system. These aren't easy things to build anywhere you are at. While there are programs at the FCS level with these three factors; are they looking for a coach, are they willing to put in five years for CB to build his system, and is their name Nebraska, for starters? I am sure there isn't anyone who will overlook the magnitude of the next level but there really aren't that many programs at the BCS level that can really say they have unwavering booster support. I think CB can go to bed pretty much every night knowing he will wake up with the support needed to build this program his way. Can Kill say that? There will always be bumps along the way but right now there are multiple players getting NFL invites every year, multiple championships, and batshit crazy support from the community. He finishes this contract and he becomes an immediate candidate to follow Taylor's steps. It's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I am pretty sure Coach Bohl has a price tag that could lure him from here. I also think it would take the perfect storm. Ndsu has a nice football facility, nice academic atmosphere, and a great booster system. These aren't easy things to build anywhere you are at. While there are programs at the FCS level with these three factors; are they looking for a coach, are they willing to put in five years for CB to build his system, and is their name Nebraska, for starters? I am sure there isn't anyone who will overlook the magnitude of the next level but there really aren't that many programs at the BCS level that can really say they have unwavering booster support. I think CB can go to bed pretty much every night knowing he will wake up with the support needed to build this program his way. Can Kill say that? There will always be bumps along the way but right now there are multiple players getting NFL invites every year, multiple championships, and batshit crazy support from the community. He finishes this contract and he becomes an immediate candidate to follow Taylor's steps. It's a pretty good gig if you can get it.
    Snyder can't coach forever and when the time comes, Bohl's name could/should be in the conversation to replace him. I know that probably won't happen because KSU will need to make a big splash to replace the Old Man and they don't want to relive the Ron Prince fiasco. There are a lot of good coaches with ties to KSU who will be front-runners (Leavitt, Bennett, Venables, Dimel, Mangino, etc) but assuming Bohl's success continues he would fit. He has a successful track record, established recruiting footprint in Nebraska and KS and could recruit to Manhattan. He's a fan friendly coach and Manhattan and the media are crazy loyal to Wildcat football. It's a step up and he'd have to entertain the idea. Flame away but 3-4 years from now it's not unreasonable.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

This might be wishful thinking but I see him as a Jerry Moore type. Can write his own ticket for (almost) as long as he wants.