Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Band update

Default Band update

Was I wrong, or did band numbers look a little low? I was hoping we would be at 300 by now, and not even sure we were at 200. Anyone with a status update?

Holiday weekend, there might have been some excused.

Default Re: Band update

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Was I wrong, or did band numbers look a little low? I was hoping we would be at 300 by now, and not even sure we were at 200. Anyone with a status update?
    They're up from last year. Last year's band had about 180, now they have about 210. Although it would be awesome, I don't there will ever be more than 250 at the most.
    I'm coo-coo for Coco's puffs!

WWTFSMD?

Do not speak of that of about which we talk of not speaking... about.

Real men wear aprons. 2Be1Ask1

TbonZach is correct, the numbers this year are right about 210. Not sure if that's a record or not, but it's darn close.

As for the size estimate, the reality is that the band is on a budget, like all school programs. That budget has been cut back over the past few years, and band stipends are roughly a third of what they were when I was in the band back in '08-'10. Most bands usually run at about 1% of the total university's student population, so about 145-150 for NDSU - needless to say, we're well above average size for a school the size of NDSU.

To get up to 300, a couple things would need to happen, not the least of which is a massive budget increase for uniforms, instruments/maintenance, music, etc. to the tune of about $150,000 consistently, much like upgrading the football program itself. Running the band is NOT a free or cheap enterprise and the band DOES NOT have a blank check from the university. PResident Chapman was a huge advocate of the band and was instrumental (pun not intended) in getting the band to the size/ability it's at today. Needless to say we've made strides, but as you've noted TSCF, there's still plenty of room for growth - but there IS a ceiling.

Anyone who wants to see the band grow, the best advice I can give is to make a donation to the band's fund or encourage others to do so. That is literally the only way the band can grow right now because everything from personnel to instruments costs money the band doesn't have.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Quote Originally Posted by DjKyRo View Post
    TbonZach is correct, the numbers this year are right about 210. Not sure if that's a record or not, but it's darn close.

As for the size estimate, the reality is that the band is on a budget, like all school programs. That budget has been cut back over the past few years, and band stipends are roughly a third of what they were when I was in the band back in '08-'10. Most bands usually run at about 1% of the total university's student population, so about 145-150 for NDSU - needless to say, we're well above average size for a school the size of NDSU.

To get up to 300, a couple things would need to happen, not the least of which is a massive budget increase for uniforms, instruments/maintenance, music, etc. to the tune of about $150,000 consistently, much like upgrading the football program itself. Running the band is NOT a free or cheap enterprise and the band DOES NOT have a blank check from the university. PResident Chapman was a huge advocate of the band and was instrumental (pun not intended) in getting the band to the size/ability it's at today. Needless to say we've made strides, but as you've noted TSCF, there's still plenty of room for growth - but there IS a ceiling.

Anyone who wants to see the band grow, the best advice I can give is to make a donation to the band's fund or encourage others to do so. That is literally the only way the band can grow right now because everything from personnel to instruments costs money the band doesn't have.
    Great post!

Also, people have to realize that North Dakota (and Northwestern Minnesota for that matter) is not exactly marching central. Yes, there are plenty of high schools in Minnesota that parade march, as well as Vikingland being close helps, but look at the big marching bands. The south is big on marching -parade AND competition wise, heck even Sioux Falls has 300+ member high school marching bands that field march.The U of M relies on the cities, which is big on field marching (with competitions). I can count on one hand the bands in North Dakota that field march (and the fact the no Fargo schools march AT ALL, does not help).

It's true that money does help with the band count because a stipend is great, but if NDSU is ever to have a 300+ band (and even that is a whole new pandora's box of what to do with stands in the dome), the reality is that the high schools of Fargo-Moorhead, Bismarck-Mandan, and even the rest of the state would need to institute Field marching bands. That is where the big bands draw from. (Also, for example, aside from the Sioux Falls bands, Brookings high has always had a 300+ band itself. Which is why SDSU's band has been traditionally bigger --but not as of late). As of now we would have to do some really heavy out of state recruting to grow the band to 300+.

Finally, many bigger (FBS-wise) schools like Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, Nevada, UNLV, Utah, etc. in the west do not have bands above 200 either, because that is not the mentality of the high schools in those states.

We are pretty fortunate to have the cities as close as they are, plus the lengths that NDSU has strived to grow the band because our surrounding schools, like the school to the North, Montana State, and USD have traditionally (and still) only have bands about 60-90 (100 on good year) members.

Those are all great reasons as to why the band isn't at 300. However, the reason myself and my friends who were in marching band (about 7 or 8) quit was because it was simply too much for not being a music major. We did not find it beneficial to stay in the program for more than 2 years when all you get out of it is 1 credit hour and a check for a couple hundred bucks after the season (to offset the price of that credit). Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun! However, when you factor in trying to keep a job, entering junior-level classes, etc. it was simply too much for what we get out of it.

That all being said, the GSMB looked fabulous on Saturday and I'm glad the band is doing well! My favorite part of being in the band was meeting all my friends! If you are a prospective student who happens to read Bisonville and can play an instrument, join the GSMB. You won't regret spending your first semester with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitojr130 View Post
    Those are all great reasons as to why the band isn't at 300. However, the reason myself and my friends who were in marching band (about 7 or 8) quit was because it was simply too much for not being a music major. We did not find it beneficial to stay in the program for more than 2 years when all you get out of it is 1 credit hour and a check for a couple hundred bucks after the season (to offset the price of that credit). Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun! However, when you factor in trying to keep a job, entering junior-level classes, etc. it was simply too much for what we get out of it.

That all being said, the GSMB looked fabulous on Saturday and I'm glad the band is doing well! My favorite part of being in the band was meeting all my friends! If you are a prospective student who happens to read Bisonville and can play an instrument, join the GSMB. You won't regret spending your first semester with them!
    All of the above mirrors my experience as well. Tons of fun and I still have a bunch of friends whom I met in my band days, but it's a ton of work off the field. That's one of the reasons I get short with folks who chastise the band itself for things outside of its control - the folks doing it put in way too much work to have to put up with getting crapped on by rubes who don't know or don't care to know the particulars of how the organization is run.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

All of the above mirrors my experience as well. Tons of fun and I still have a bunch of friends whom I met in my band days, but it's a ton of work off the field. That's one of the reasons I get short with folks who chastise the band itself for things outside of its control - the folks doing it put in way too much work to have to put up with getting crapped on by rubes who don't know or don't care to know the particulars of how the organization is run.
    ^Fricken this x1000. I cringe every time I hear someone complain about how a line wasn't perfectly straight or how something could have been done better. It just makes me want to say, "Well, then you go and basically volunteer 8+ hours per week and see if you can do better!" But, I keep my mouth shut.

Oh, and a certain Mr. Barry (hehe) stepped on this guys' trumpet my freshmen year and it just hasn't been the same since. I loved band. I just couldn't dedicate that much of my week when other priorities were at risk.

I think for a school that doesn't have much of a focus on music majors, the fine arts and marching band programs are very good.

I am also back on my rant that the anthem should be performed by students or very special guests, not faculty. The performance factors of the college football experience are about showcasing student talents. Coach Bohl doesn't tackle anyone. The coordinators don't throw any passes. The band director doesn't play an instrument. So why are we being subjected to anyone but students performing the national anthem.

If we have football players talented enough to sing the anthem and do a commendable job, then I know we have students on this campus capable of showcasing our student talents.

I put performing in front of 18k+ people akin to any engineering project or ag Econ project necessary for graduation, as well, if you are a music performance major or grad student.