Page 42 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Beck Pilloried in the Media

GOBISON123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Travis Beck arrested!

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Everything you say is so easy when you arent the one being attacked. Ive was in the bar business for many years. Ive seen people swallow their pride and walk out the door only to have the asshole follow him outside. There is a point where you know the shit is going to happen. You can only back up so far when the other person is bent on getting physical. At that point the best defense is going on the offense so you dont get hurt.

I agree with 56BISON73, many years ago i was on a city bus once and two guys were drunk and talking shit, I decided not to get into an argument and get down at the next stop even though that was not my stop just so that I can avoid any potential trouble, while i was getting down from the bus i got kicked on my ass and i fell down face first. So fuck you if you think TB should have walked out, I know what it is to be in that situation. What TB did was doggone right. May be he was dazed and did not respond to the cop but what he did to those guys was purely an act of self defense. Shame on you all , trying to abandon our boy.

You mess with one bean you get the whole burrito boy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LU8DDYz68kM
    Last edited by GOBISON123; 06-12-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02Bison View Post
    Just another reason to avoid most downtown bars any night of the week...was at the Sports Bar about a month ago....smelled like piss inside and wasn't even room to stand anywhere...needless to say we left and haven't been back....the place smelled better 11 years ago when smoking was still allowed in public establishments....needless to say I don't plan on going back there anytime soon
    seems like there is always a fight at sports bar. happens more there than any bar ive been to in fargo

You can only back up so far when the other person is bent on getting physical. At that point the best defense is going on the offense so you dont get hurt.
    True this. I've only been in one bar brawl but the guy was looking for it. He pushed the wrong person and I went on the offensive. Choked him out while my buddies beat down his buddies. Cops came and got them. We went back to drinking. I apologize to the Foolum for not being high enough on the social ladder to run my name through the mud.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Obviously, I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding this. I believe a guy has a right to defend himself, though. If Travis Beck punched me once or twice, I'd probably be unconscious too. If i was the one who started it, I would have deserved it.

The red flag in my eyes is that he apparently ran from police.

I also woudn't sweep a year old MIP conviction under the rug when as a 21 year old he is engaging in bar fights at 3:00 in the morning a year later.

Everything you say is so easy when you arent the one being attacked. I was in the bar business for many years. Ive seen people swallow their pride and walk out the door only to have the asshole follow him outside. There is a point where you know the shit is going to happen. You can only back up so far when the other person is bent on getting physical. At that point the best defense is going on the offense so you dont get hurt.
    On one level I agree with you. But you can normally find another way to handle the situation.

I like this one: If you think you can't get out of a physical situation, first, don't leave the bar; you want impartial witnesses(bartender, bouncers, others). Next, move so that only the guy can see your mouth; your back is to the witnesses. Be as non-confrontational with your body language as you can while loudly telling the guy to calm down and be cool. Mixed in with that, very quietly say or lightly mouth to the guy the most offensive things you can think of in a way that no one else can tell, all the while making it look like you're trying to calm him down. If he's so much of an a--hole to have pushed the situation to this point, it shouldn't take too long from him to lose it and throw a punch. Let it hit you. If you can, move back a bit as the blow lands to absorb the energy and lessen any damage(although a bloody nose, split lip or black eye would be a small price to pay). Don't hit back. Loudly try to defuse the situation while smirking at him as much as you can get away with. Hopefully he will try another punch. Avoid this one if you can and then drill him so hard that it's imprinted on his DNA and ten generations later the first words spoken by any descendant will be: "What the f--k was that!?!" You get the pleasure of beating down an a--hole while it looks to all the world like you did everything you could to defuse the situation. Win-win. If you're really lucky, the other guy will end up with an assault charge if the cops are called(be extremely polite and cooperative when they get there). Win-win-win.

Fight smart, not stupid.

Now I'm too much of a wimp to actually make use of a technique like this, but I also rarely do the bar scene - and I go to non-threatening places like Gastropub where the worst thing you'll run into is a senile Montana State fan or two. But also remember this little tip: closed-fist punches to the jaw are a very bad idea. The jawbone is big, the bones in your fingers are small. Your fingers will lose. Strike with the heel of your hand or the flat area between the base of your pinky and your wrist. More damage to them, less damage to you. Everyone (that matters) is happy.

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    On one level I agree with you. But you can normally find another way to handle the situation.

I like this one: If you think you can't get out of a physical situation, first, don't leave the bar; you want impartial witnesses(bartender, bouncers, others). Next, move so that only the guy can see your mouth; your back is to the witnesses. Be as non-confrontational with your body language as you can while loudly telling the guy to calm down and be cool. Mixed in with that, very quietly say or lightly mouth to the guy the most offensive things you can think of in a way that no one else can tell, all the while making it look like you're trying to calm him down. If he's so much of an a--hole to have pushed the situation to this point, it shouldn't take too long from him to lose it and throw a punch. Let it hit you. If you can, move back a bit as the blow lands to absorb the energy and lessen any damage(although a bloody nose, split lip or black eye would be a small price to pay). Don't hit back. Loudly try to defuse the situation while smirking at him as much as you can get away with. Hopefully he will try another punch. Avoid this one if you can and then drill him so hard that it's imprinted on his DNA and ten generations later the first words spoken by any descendant will be: "What the f--k was that!?!" You get the pleasure of beating down an a--hole while it looks to all the world like you did everything you could to defuse the situation. Win-win. If you're really lucky, the other guy will end up with an assault charge if the cops are called(be extremely polite and cooperative when they get there). Win-win-win.

Fight smart, not stupid.

Now I'm too much of a wimp to actually make use of a technique like this, but I also rarely do the bar scene - and I go to non-threatening places like Gastropub where the worst thing you'll run into is a senile Montana State fan or two. But also remember this little tip: closed-fist punches to the jaw are a very bad idea. The jawbone is big, the bones in your fingers are small. Your fingers will lose. Strike with the heel of your hand or the flat area between the base of your pinky and your wrist. More damage to them, less damage to you. Everyone (that matters) is happy.
    I don't think it even needs to be said how dangerous the Gastropub would be if words were like sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by bincitysioux View Post
    Obviously, I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding this. I believe a guy has a right to defend himself, though. If Travis Beck punched me once or twice, I'd probably be unconscious too. If i was the one who started it, I would have deserved it.

The red flag in my eyes is that he apparently ran from police.

I also woudn't sweep a year old MIP conviction under the rug when as a 21 year old he is engaging in bar fights at 3:00 in the morning a year later.
    This seems well reasoned.

Fight smart, not stupid.

That seems very soberly thought out. A little bit of the recent Sherlock Holmes films....asking a lot of an intoxicated person!
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I went to school in a small town near Minot and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't buy that he had no other option throughout the entire course of event.

I'm not rooting for him to get kicked off the team, I just think it's a bad precedent to set to allow a player involved in a bar brawl to continue playing just because the other guy threw the first punch. And I'm not talking because he had a prior offense, regardless of that he's gotta be the bigger man in this scenario because he's the one under the microscope and he's the one who's gonna get his mugshot plastered on the front page of the Forum if he's involved in a bar brawl. I just think there's different standards that need to be taken when you're a representative of your team and the university as compared to a member of society. As a member of society he's well within his rights to defend himself if some dipshit is egging him on and comes at him with fists. As a member of the highest profile sport at a D1 university he has to realize the same rules don't apply, he should've swallowed his pride and gotten out of there before this thing escalated to the point it got to.

Regardless of whether he continues playing or not, he'll always be a Bison and I wish him the very best. He's given a tremendous amount to the team and the fans over the last 2+ years, I just wish he would've used better judgement in this scenario.
    The same rules do apply to him but the media coverage is there. The team, or any organization shouldn't apply when your defending yourself. What are they going to do, ban legal adults from drinking? If your at a bar and some guy tries to kick your ass and you fight back, should you lose your job?(assuming your innocent, guilty different story)

What if he doesn't fight back and he ends up with a serious injury?

But in reality if your a star player for the Bison you should avoid any confrontation. Its a skill many young people haven't mastered.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    That seems very soberly thought out. A little bit of the recent Sherlock Holmes films....asking a lot of an intoxicated person!
    That's why you do these two things. First, consider what might happen while you're out drinking and consider possible solutions like the above long in advance. Maybe toss around ideas with peers(teammates) until you find a few you like. By making plans ahead of time, you're not struggling to come up with a solution in the heat of the moment. Second, don't get wasted in public. I mean intoxicated enough that you can't enact your plans. If you do get that wasted, make sure you have a couple friends with you that don't get that wasted and can take your place in any confrontation; kind of like a designated driver of sorts. The two worst situations are to be wasted and alone or in a group where everyone is wasted. Nothing good will come of those and potentially a lot of bad.

BTW, that wasn't my idea; just a modification of someone else's. Same with the DNA/baby's first words. Wish I had come up with that one on my own.

That's why you do these two things. First, consider what might happen while you're out drinking and consider possible solutions like the above long in advance. Maybe toss around ideas with peers(teammates) until you find a few you like. By making plans ahead of time, you're not struggling to come up with a solution in the heat of the moment. Second, don't get wasted in public. I mean intoxicated enough that you can't enact your plans. If you do get that wasted, make sure you have a couple friends with you that don't get that wasted and can take your place in any confrontation; kind of like a designated driver of sorts. The two worst situations are to be wasted and alone or in a group where everyone is wasted. Nothing good will come of those and potentially a lot of bad.

BTW, that wasn't my idea; just a modification of someone else's. Same with the DNA/baby's first words. Wish I had come up with that one on my own.
    Just seems like a lot to ask of a 21 year old. Speaking as one, we feel as though we should be able to go out and have fun without worrying. Obviously Mr. Beck's situation is different than mine but still, same premise.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo