Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules to Address

Default Re: Rules to Address

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Personally, speaking as one who has officiated high school and juco bb for some years, I would like to see them eliminate the jump ball entirely. This would eliminate about 4 to 5 pages in the case book regarding jump ball administration. Captains meet for pregame conf with officials; flip a damn coin to see who establishes the alternating possession arrow and be done with it.
    Boo!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Personally, speaking as one who has officiated high school and juco bb for some years, I would like to see them eliminate the jump ball entirely. This would eliminate about 4 to 5 pages in the case book regarding jump ball administration. Captains meet for pregame conf with officials; flip a damn coin to see who establishes the alternating possession arrow and be done with it.
    Not just eliminating those pages, but also a play that 75% of the time is officiated wrong and there should be a retoss but it never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    Not just eliminating those pages, but also a play that 75% of the time is officiated wrong and there should be a retoss but it never happens.
    I agree. The jump ball is an inflamed appendix, at this point it should be taken out.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Taking the jump ball out of basketball would be like taking the kickoff out of football. Dumb idea.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post

2) Players who flop should be given a technical foul since they cant be fined.
    Already in the rule book, but I'm sorry 75% of the time what you deem as a flop is contact taken by the defense trying to get a call.

But I love all these solutions given by people who don't officiate the game or coach the game. There are plenty of things that determine what are called but at this level it is the NCAA Conference Officiating Supervisors that determine what is or isn't called in games. Officials who get dinged for calling or not calling things share that info and you start to see trends. When that information makes it around you see players do things to see how much they can get away with. I think the game is at a good point right now. I agree that the whole timeout stuff as a fan is ridiculous, but for players and coaches its not necessarily a bad thing. I think they need to fix the media to/real game to issues. I hate the wait for the media time out...run a quick play and then we have another full timeout. (Just as big an issue for ND State BBall tourneys)

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Taking the jump ball out of basketball would be like taking the kickoff out of football. Dumb idea.
    Disagree. The jump ball is contested exactly once in every game below the NBA level. Last year an NFL game averaged more than 10 kickoffs per contest.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Disagree. The jump ball is contested exactly once in every game below the NBA level. Last year an NFL game averaged more than 10 kickoffs per contest.
    Maybe they could bring in the "Scramble" for the loose ball that they used to do at the beginning of XFL games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeeVwkLYD5g

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Maybe they could bring in the "Scramble" for the loose ball that they used to do at the beginning of XFL games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeeVwkLYD5g
    I prefer the Rugby scrum.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

The possession arrow should be replaced with the jump ball IMO

Would like to for sure see the shot clock be cut to 30 and the 10 second backcourt rule no matter of timeout be implemented.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk