Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules to Address

Default Re: Rules to Address

Three main concerns they brought up: Freedom of movement for players without the ball, post play, and long end of game situations.

Some rules they are debating:

Reducing Number of Timeouts- Agree with this
    Widening the Lane- Undecided
    Limiting a Coach to call TO during a live ball- Undecided
    10 total sec in the backcourt regardless if TO is called- Agree
    Reducing Shot clock- Should be lowered to 30
    Eliminating the de facto TO that ensues after a player fouls out- Agree
    Not allowing a player to score when a charge has been called- Undecided

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...-talks-changes

I would love it if they stopped giving a time out to teams when their player fouls out, one of the dumbest rules in sports. A team shouldn't be rewarded in that situation, if they need a time out they should have to call one. It just slows down the game for no reason.

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Way too many timeouts, especially when both coaches save 4 for the last minute.

If modern technology can do this, surely they can superimpose sponsor logos on playing surfaces to reduce the number of commercials needed. This isn't different than what they do in MLB with the green screens behind home plate.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    I agree with 3-5. If you really want to see more fluid, higher-scoring games get rid of the tv timeout. I know it will never happened because money talks, but it has almost made basketball unwatchable.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
    Way too many timeouts, especially when both coaches save 4 for the last minute.
    Agreed. Something similar to not being able to carry over all 5 into the 2nd half should be easy to adapt to.
    4 timeouts to start
    3 can be carried over into the second half
    2 can be carried over into the final two minutes.
    If game goes to OT, each team is awarded 1 timeout.

With the number of media timeouts automatically given, there are way too many not to save them all for the final minute.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    Agreed. Something similar to not being able to carry over all 5 into the 2nd half should be easy to adapt to.
    4 timeouts to start

With the number of media timeouts automatically given, there are way too many not to save them all for the final minute.
    1) The time outs are the most significant negative around basketball and needs to be addressed before they lose fans like the NBA. I would adopt the hockey rule and give each team one time out per game. Keep the TV timeouts.

2) Players who flop should be given a technical foul since they cant be fined.

3) Replays limited to 30 seconds with a hard stop. If not clear cut view of the play they shouldn't be looking at it anway

These things will help speed up the game that is being ruined by stopages in play.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Three main concerns they brought up: Freedom of movement for players without the ball, post play, and long end of game situations.

Some rules they are debating:

Reducing Number of Timeouts- Agree with this
    Widening the Lane- Undecided
    Limiting a Coach to call TO during a live ball- Undecided
    10 total sec in the backcourt regardless if TO is called- Agree
    Reducing Shot clock- Should be lowered to 30
    Eliminating the de facto TO that ensues after a player fouls out- Agree
    Not allowing a player to score when a charge has been called- Undecided

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...-talks-changes
    Here is my opinion in each proposal:
    -Even though there are 4 media timouts per half, the ability to call a timeout to settle down a team, and the ability to stop the clock at the end of the game to set up a play should prepreserved. I don't see this changing.
    -Widening the lane I don't see as an issue. Not sure people are clamering on way or another. I think is will remail the same.
    -10 sec violation should be total even with a time out. I agree with this change. Also think they need the 10 sec violation in women's bball.
    -Reducing the shot clock would be ok, This one might pass to make for more face paced entertaining, fast paced games.
    -When a player fouls out, you should get the same amount of time to replace a player as if you were simply subbing them in. I hate the extra time they give, not needed. Most coaches know who they will replace the fouled out player.
    -Player scoring when a charge is called; I think you still count the basket because sometimes the charge has no affect on the shot but still occurs and is a foul.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    4 timeouts to start

I do agree with the fact there are way too many timeouts in college basketball. Playing devils advocate, could your idea potentially motivate coaches to take more timeouts earlier? Example being if a coach has three timeouts left with 2:15 remaining in the game he takes a timeout solely because he can't carry it into the last 2 minutes anyways instead of saving the timeout for later and potentially not needing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I do agree with the fact there are way too many timeouts in college basketball. Playing devils advocate, could your idea potentially motivate coaches to take more timeouts earlier? Example being if a coach has three timeouts left with 2:15 remaining in the game he takes a timeout solely because he can't carry it into the last 2 minutes anyways instead of saving the timeout for later and potentially not needing it.
    I agree that coaches would do that so it wouldn't save any time. What they have now works in that if you don't call a timeout in the first half, you lose it.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Personally, speaking as one who has officiated high school and juco bb for some years, I would like to see them eliminate the jump ball entirely. This would eliminate about 4 to 5 pages in the case book regarding jump ball administration. Captains meet for pregame conf with officials; flip a damn coin to see who establishes the alternating possession arrow and be done with it.