Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules to Address

Default Rules to Address

Every offseason I make a thread related to this. Here are a few things I think need to be changed. Feel free to add or discuss.

1. Shot clock to 30 seconds. 35 is too high and were seeing an affect on lower scores. It may not be a huge improvement but it should help
    2. 5 fouls to 6 fouls. Give the players some leeway. If refs are going to call a tight game give them 6 fouls.
    3. Held ball should be a jump ball between the two players involved. Enough of this arrow thing
    4. Get consistent on hand checking. Either have it or get rid of it. This is another small reason for the lower scoring this season, teams getting away with hand checking
    5. Reduce timeouts- This one isnt a big deal but it's annoying when a coach calls a timeout a few seconds before a media timeout. Maybe merge team timeouts with commercial timeouts like the NBA?

Default Re: Rules to Address

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    Every offseason I make a thread related to this. Here are a few things I think need to be changed. Feel free to add or discuss.

1. Shot clock to 30 seconds. 35 is too high and were seeing an affect on lower scores. It may not be a huge improvement but it should help
    2. 5 fouls to 6 fouls. Give the players some leeway. If refs are going to call a tight game give them 6 fouls.
    3. Held ball should be a jump ball between the two players involved. Enough of this arrow thing
    4. Get consistent on hand checking. Either have it or get rid of it. This is another small reason for the lower scoring this season, teams getting away with hand checking
    5. Reduce timeouts- This one isnt a big deal but it's annoying when a coach calls a timeout a few seconds before a media timeout. Maybe merge team timeouts with commercial timeouts like the NBA?
    If you change the held ball rule, you will start to see aggressive bigs dog piling claiming they held the ball, and consequently seeing people get hurt. Look at the charging calls now. Everyone and their mother is trying to get them at all times. Especially now that there is a "boundary" for them to see/know where to be. Just my opinion.

I would like to see the shot clock brought down. You can still "Saul Ball-it" but it won't drag on the way it does. I like the 5 foul rule. Makes players more disciplined and brings in the coaches ability to have a good bench.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Implement NBA's clear path foul. I hate seeing a guy intentionally foul a guy when he's goign to have an easy open dunk/layup

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    If you change the held ball rule, you will start to see aggressive bigs dog piling claiming they held the ball, and consequently seeing people get hurt. Look at the charging calls now. Everyone and their mother is trying to get them at all times. Especially now that there is a "boundary" for them to see/know where to be. Just my opinion.

I would like to see the shot clock brought down. You can still "Saul Ball-it" but it won't drag on the way it does. I like the 5 foul rule. Makes players more disciplined and brings in the coaches ability to have a good bench.
    i disagree with the held ball thing. seems to work fine in the nba and it's usually pretty clear which two players are vying for the ball

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post

I agree with 3-5. If you really want to see more fluid, higher-scoring games get rid of the tv timeout. I know it will never happened because money talks, but it has almost made basketball unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post

New hand check rules:
    1. Keeping hand or forearm on an opponent
    2. Putting two hands on an opponent
    3. Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm or placing a hand or forearm on the opponent
    Using an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler

Block/Charge:
    1. D
    efensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has begun his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or a pass.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...2013-14-season

New hand check rules:
    3. Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm or placing a hand or forearm on the opponent

Block/Charge:
    1. D
    efensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has begun his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or a pass.

Yikes. Wisconsin and NDSU are going to be in a lot of foul trouble if they enforce this consistently.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

New hand check rules:

Block/Charge:
    1. D

Can someone explain to me how the block/charge "change" is a change? From the article, "Previously, the player had to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player lifted off the floor." Not sure what changed

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    Can someone explain to me how the block/charge "change" is a change? From the article, "Previously, the player had to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player lifted off the floor." Not sure what changed
    I could be wrong, but I assume they mean that before, your feet actually had to be leaving the floor. Now, it's when you start to move the ball upward off the dribble or whatever -- that would be a split second earlier. Will refs be able to tell the difference if that's the case?
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I could be wrong, but I assume they mean that before, your feet actually had to be leaving the floor. Now, it's when you start to move the ball upward off the dribble or whatever -- that would be a split second earlier. Will refs be able to tell the difference if that's the case?
    That makes sense based off the rest of the article. It says it will give them a half second more time to make the correct call. Thanks!