Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules to Address

Default Re: Rules to Address

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    part of the reason why the NBA has gone from a big mans game to a guard oriented game
    It's been that way since Wilt in the middle of the 1960's or something, so I don't think you can draw a straight line to the current guard dominated era.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It's been that way since Wilt in the middle of the 1960's or something, so I don't think you can draw a straight line to the current guard dominated era.
    There have been times when there have been a few dominant post players, Hakeem, early Shaq, Jabbar but there isn't really anything that resembles a dominant post player now.

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    There have been times when there have been a few dominant post players, Hakeem, early Shaq, Jabbar but there isn't really anything that resembles a dominant post player now.
    I don't disagree. Also, Ewing, Robinson, and Moses Malone. There have been more than a few. The game is definitely played differently now but I'd put that more on the introduction of the three pointer in the early '80s than the widening of the lane in the middle '60s.

Also, ESPN.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

thats why i said part of the reason

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't disagree. Also, Ewing, Robinson, and Moses Malone. There have been more than a few. The game is definitely played differently now but I'd put that more on the introduction of the three pointer in the early '80s than the widening of the lane in the middle '60s.

Also, ESPN.
    I put about 85% of it on ESPN. How do you get on ESPN these days?? Hit the big 3 or a fabulous dunk. It's easier to hit the 3. Same with baseball. When was the last time ESPN put on TV a sac fly to win a game?? I'm sure they have but just hit the HR instead to guarantee to get on.

A while back Mike & Mike were discussing the Spurs and why they don't get more love. I think it's just because they aren't flashy and just keep winning instead of trying to make on the Top 10 plays.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I put about 85% of it on ESPN. How do you get on ESPN these days?? Hit the big 3 or a fabulous dunk. It's easier to hit the 3. Same with baseball. When was the last time ESPN put on TV a sac fly to win a game?? I'm sure they have but just hit the HR instead to guarantee to get on.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    This is why I like to read fangraphs.com, instead of watching SportsCenter. SportsCenter shows me Stanton hitting a game winning grand slam. fangraphs.com tells me that if the opposing manager hadn't walked him intentionally in both the 2nd and 4th innings, the game probably would have ended without him even coming to the plate in the 9th.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 11-21-2014 at 10:39 PM.

The NIT will experiment with a 30 second shot clock this year. They will also experiment with timeouts. If a team takes a timeout within 30 seconds of the next media timeout, it will replace that media timeout.

I like these changes. Will be interesting to see how much the shot clock affects things.

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

how about only the coach can call timeouts and timeouts can only be called on a dead ball. it's bad enough the last few minutes of every close game take forever with all the fouling, the timeout calling only compounds it. 2 minutes of play takes 15 minutes of actual time to play.

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    how about only the coach can call timeouts and timeouts can only be called on a dead ball. it's bad enough the last few minutes of every close game take forever with all the fouling, the timeout calling only compounds it. 2 minutes of play takes 15 minutes of actual time to play.
    I don't think you'll never get a dead ball only rule unless you also let them advance the ball to the front court like the NBA.