Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fargo-Moorhead metro pop. for2012 - 216,312

Default Fargo-Moorhead metro pop. for2012 - 216,312

156,157 in Cass
    60,155 in Clay

A growth of 7,535 in the metro in two years.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun looking thru all this new data today!! These are not town counts, just counties (MSA's).

Just an update on my health, I've been in and out of the hospital for various reasons for the past few months, and I'm undergoing some rehab for my leg strength. My family is taking me to Rochester (Mayo) for clinical trial options. Point is that there's less cancer in my body than in say, September or so.

And I have been religiously been following Bison basketball too. Sucks we lost, but either an NIT game or a home CBI would be great.

In any case, my body is in another upswing, and I'm lookin' forward to my Mayo trip!!

(I digress)

And this is a nice moderately steady growth for F-M, but I think there's some undercounting going on. Take care guys. I'll be mostly lurking.

N8TR
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargo-Moorhead metro pop. for2012 - 216,312

i wish fargo and west fargo did a better job of releasing building permit data.

housing permits in fargo and west fargo respectively were roughly on par with williston in terms of total value, and there were something like 1000 new houses alone built on the cass side of the river last year (as of like, october). Apartment construction has far outpaced house construction nationally and traditionally has done so locally as well, at least over the last decade or two. Lets assume 2500 new units in the entire fargo/moorhead/wf/dilworth/horace/etc area. That should lead to over 5,000 new residents just last year in the metro, using relatively conservative parameters.

based on the wild inaccuracy of the last census, i'd say they are lowballing by quite a bit.

glad to hear to you are doing well

That's only like 1.8% growth a year. I don't know how they're getting to the number but if seems like they should be able to incorporate net new housing and rental units, changes in school enrollments, sales tax data and the like as well as correct for the prior over/under performance of their model compared to periodic full censuses in order to produce a reliable number.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    That's only like 1.8% growth a year.
    That's actually pretty fast growth when you are talking about a metropolitan area, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    That's actually pretty fast growth when you are talking about a metropolitan area, isn't it?
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...nce-1930s.html

2.05% growth in US population from 2010 - 2012 so, yes, F-M is growing substantially faster than average over this time frame, and at a faster pace than the US as a whole from 2000 - 2010 as well.

ND was #1 on the growth index from 2010 -2012 but I'm living in the midst of #2 so that may explain, but not excuse, my lack of perspective.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

2.05% growth in US population from 2010 - 2012 so, yes, F-M is growing substantially faster than average over this time frame, and at a faster pace than the US as a whole from 2000 - 2010 as well.

ND was #1 on the growth index from 2010 -2012 but I'm living in the midst of #2 so that may explain, but not excuse, my lack of perspective.
    It's kind of interesting - Fargo and Minot are completely different when it comes to growth. Whereas a lot of Fargo's growth takes place in surrounding communities (heck, about 15% of the company I used to work at commuted from Detroit Lakes), Minot's metro area is actually about the same size as it was 40 years ago.

The city of Minot's growth has been crazy though. At current rates, Minot will be bigger than Grand Forks in under five years.

More importantly: Get well Bisonateur.

I'd move if I were you.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    It's kind of interesting - Fargo and Minot are completely different when it comes to growth. Whereas a lot of Fargo's growth takes place in surrounding communities (heck, about 15% of the company I used to work at commuted from Detroit Lakes), Minot's metro area is actually about the same size as it was 40 years ago.

The city of Minot's growth has been crazy though. At current rates, Minot will be bigger than Grand Forks in under five years.
    I wonder if 1) Minot had more unimproved land within city limits and/or 2) If there are substantial differences in development policy and regulation in the surrounding communities.

It also seems like DL may be a bit of a unique case. From a lifestyle perspective, I'm not sure if there's an option like that near Minot?

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I'd move if I were you.
    It all goes back to something my grandmother told me when I was a kid. "Holden," she said, "the big bucks are in dick and fart jokes." She was a church goer. --Holden McNeil "Chasing Amy"

If I moved, I'd have to start paying for my meds. http://www.salon.com/2013/03/14/your...sants_partner/

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

the census dept. estimated west fargo grew by 450 people between 2010/2011. that number is downright assinine.

anyway i think that, contra-most people, that the population growth in the specific cities in western north dakota is probably not terribly far off. probably coming in low, but population changes are roughly in line with what you would expect from building permitting. 2,000 new people in a year is going to feel like a damn lot coming off a base of 14,000, especially when your town is also inundated with people living in man camps, contractors coming in and out, resurgent population in neighboring towns and so forth.