Thread: Starting C?

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Starting C?

LT Turner Plank
    LG Gimme Schueler
    C Hinz Coville
    RG Johnson Coville
    RT Haeg Pomerenke Lesar

Hopefully Haeg and Coville will check in around 300/290 repectively in September. I see the center position as Open with Hinz, Coville and Schueler as candidates. I'd be grooming Plankers behind Turner for 2014, unless he's the best candidate for the RT position right now. A Freshman or two could push also.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    LT Turner Plank
    LG Gimme Schueler
    C Hinz Coville
    RG Johnson Coville
    RT Haeg Pomerenke Lesar

Hopefully Haeg and Coville will check in around 300/290 repectively in September. I see the center position as Open with Hinz, Coville and Schueler as candidates. I'd be grooming Plankers behind Turner for 2014, unless he's the best candidate for the RT position right now. A Freshman or two could push also.
    i think the expectation/hype is for plankers to challenge at RT, just as johnson will challenge at guard. Line will be loaded next year regardless. The real question is can we have another rimmington winner?

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    LT Turner Plank
    LG Gimme Schueler
    C Hinz Coville
    RG Johnson Coville
    RT Haeg Pomerenke Lesar

Interesting depth chart. I don't see Colville getting beat out for RG unless he becomes the center. He made the all-conference freshman squad, didn't he? He had a terrific championship game, he and Turner really moved some people in the second half. Johnson is good, I just don't see him moving him out.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

while we're at it, would someone mind explaining what you look for in a guard as opposed to a tackle or center?

How good is that Pomerenke kid?
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

Zach Johnson will start the next 3 years. He's the rave if everyone. If colville comes back from the knee surgery I think he's the starting center.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    while we're at it, would someone mind explaining what you look for in a guard as opposed to a tackle or center?
    It is desirable for tackles to be taller than guards for pass protection purposes. Guards that have the agility to pull (like in NDSU's bread and butter "power" play) are also desirable. Left tackle should be more athletic than any other position on the line because he protects the QBs blind side. Centers (and this may sound simplistic) need to be able to play center. They need to be able to play OL while snapping the ball, making protection calls and communicating with his linemates as well as the QB.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    When going up against a std 4-3 defense, I would look for . . .

C 285-305 Better quickness than G position to be able to get down field and block on LBs. quickness & size to support doubles on DT.
    G 295-310 Need more size to deal with DTs and interior rushing; typically need some quickness for pulling, but less foot quickness than Ts.
    T 300-315 Quickness needed to protect edges and move with faster DEs. Size for getting touch yards on the edge.

Against 3-4 Defenses, more size in the C position is desired, and more quickness with the Gs.

Maybe a tad off topic, but still relevant perhaps.

Did Sam Houston lose any of their d-lineman from 2011 to 2012? In 2011, we had a really good offensive line and could hardly move the ball on them, while last year, with two freshman, replacing Richards and Cornick(studs obviously), were able to move the ball very well.

Anyone with a good football mind (Burgundy, Rams, CAS perhaps?) mind elaborating on what was the difference?
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

No one has answered why it's desirable for tackles to be taller yet.

You need to have reach to prevent the outside rushers from getting into the body.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.