Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Death of the Summit League

Default The Death of the Summit League

It's about time that we start speculating on the real possibility that the Summit League as we know it today wont be a viable conference within the next year or so.

If Oakland bolts (which should happen when a spot in the horizon opens) and Denver heads to the MVC as reported today that puts the Summit League at 7 schools.

What (if any options) does NDSU have for their Olympic sports? What are the alternatives?

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: The Death of the Summit League

Not too worried about it... Big Sky is always there to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. They told us NO once before. Their conference is shit for most sports. They have the right number of schools for football as well as their Olympic sports.

Summit Implosion Level: Orange

I'm willing to put money the Summit won't be any different two years from now with the possible exception of a 10th school being added. Detroit is not going to get poached from the Horizon and that means Oakland will continue to be blocked. And it's going to be Belmont, not Denver, that replaces Creighton.

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    Would be terrible for football. Recruiting would take a major back seat IMHO as it takes away from our primary pipelines. But I guess at that point you risk losing prestige in some sports just to stay in a viable conference.

Gene Taylor is our AD, and I don't have any fear.

Yeah whatever happens we'll be fine, we are a great school with good leaders.

Good point and I agree.

I don't think that being a good school with great leaders has much to do with the outcome of the Summit League. The issue is that if the Summit loses Oakland and we lose Denver then we are VERY close to losing our autobid to the NCAA tournament. That is the death blow. Couple that with the fact that we are not in a desirable location for most schools to travel to and we are in big trouble.

Any gains that we have seen in the Summit over recent years would be lost. Sure you could always continue to be a d2 to d1 feeder conference but in reality that puts us back in great west 2.0.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    Gene Taylor is our AD, and I don't have any fear.
    Why does someone always have to post this stupid comment every time someone asks a question or gives an opinion? The purpose of this board is for information and discussion among fans. Obviously the AD, president, coaches, etc make the decisions....but I think people already know that!!