Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pro day!

Default Re: Pro day!

Quote Originally Posted by 870XPRS View Post
    So you're saying that he ran 40 yards slower because he was running a 100 yard race? 100 yards is a pretty short distance as well.
    Yes. When you run the 40 yard dash, you want to be at your peak speed at 40 yards, with the 100m, you are going to be wanting to accelerate THROUGH the 40 yard point. That doesn't take into account long strides. His ideal race might not be the 40...

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    not true he ran the 60 in what at the time would have been world record time as well
    Ok, so compare his 60m split in the 100m to his actual 60m time, I guarantee it's different.

All I'm trying to point out here is every race has a different strategy to it. Do I know specifics? No, I don't and I am not trying to pretend I do. However, I do know that a 40m split in a 100m race is different than a 40yd dash(plus, the difference in distance between yards and meters, which isn't being taken into account here either). I see your point, but to say because he ran a 4.37 SPLIT while setting the 100m world record makes it almost impossible to have someone run a faster 40 is a bad comparison. Apples to Oranges.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

For running a 4.19 40 at pro day there sure were a lot of MVFC and other DB's that were running stride for stride with him in that highlight tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    For running a 4.19 40 at pro day there sure were a lot of MVFC and other DB's that were running stride for stride with him in that highlight tape.
    There's pads speed and no pads speed. Then there's just broken equipment... Good for him if it's a true time.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Yes. When you run the 40 yard dash, you want to be at your peak speed at 40 yards, with the 100m, you are going to be wanting to accelerate THROUGH the 40 yard point. That doesn't take into account long strides. His ideal race might not be the 40...

Ok, so compare his 60m split in the 100m to his actual 60m time, I guarantee it's different.

All I'm trying to point out here is every race has a different strategy to it. Do I know specifics? No, I don't and I am not trying to pretend I do. However, I do know that a 40m split in a 100m race is different than a 40yd dash(plus, the difference in distance between yards and meters, which isn't being taken into account here either). I see your point, but to say because he ran a 4.37 SPLIT while setting the 100m world record makes it almost impossible to have someone run a faster 40 is a bad comparison. Apples to Oranges.
    There's also reaction time in track. Time starts at the gun in track, whereas in FB 40's it's usually timed starting on movement.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    There's also reaction time in track. Time starts at the gun in track, whereas in FB 40's it's usually timed starting on movement.
    Very valid point as well. Even more apples to oranges.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

You don't try and peak your speed later in the race in a 100m than you would in a 40 yd. The goal is to get to top speed as fast as possible in either race. But most sprinters don't reach top speed until 50-60 meters into a 100m race. Someone like Usain Bolt would never reach top speed during a 40 yd race.

It isn't a matter of deciding to get to top speed faster in a 40 vs a 100m, it's simply a limitation of some people's body.

So people who run a 40 very quickly are better at getting to top speed very quickly.

I looked up the times because I was curious and the fastest 60m splits of all time are actually slightly faster than the fastest 60m dashes of all time. If your theory held water, it would be the exact opposite because they would be trying to peak later in the race and wouldn't have run as fast a split.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    You don't try and peak your speed later in the race in a 100m than you would in a 40 yd. The goal is to get to top speed as fast as possible in either race. But most sprinters don't reach top speed until 50-60 meters into a 100m race. Someone like Usain Bolt would never reach top speed during a 40 yd race.

It isn't a matter of deciding to get to top speed faster in a 40 vs a 100m, it's simply a limitation of some people's body.

So people who run a 40 very quickly are better at getting to top speed very quickly.
    Better way of explaining it than me, that's essentially what I was going for even tho I was wrong.
    check neg rep

Better way of explaining it than me, that's essentially what I was going for even tho I was wrong.
    You're right about the 40 yds vs 40m. I would say that is the reason why Ben Johnson's split was so high. Plus he started out of blocks so if it was a 40 yd dash, I would guess he would have been in the 4.2 or 4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    4.19 lol and he couldnt dominate the MVFC?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    4.19 lol and he couldnt dominate the MVFC?
    Well he has had since the middle of November to work on his 40...
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.