Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri Valley to look at NDSU???

Default Re: Missouri Valley to look at NDSU???

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Yeah I agree Belmont is probably their target. Denver being a hockey school with no baseball just seems like a strange add for the MVC and they'd be out on their own island. Not saying it can't or won't happen but I have some doubts.

Not sure what the Summit can do. There are not many DI options out there.
    Merge with the WAC.......oh boy doesn't that sound fun
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Merge with the WAC.......oh boy doesn't that sound fun
    I could see a Horizon merger but not a WAC merger, at that point the conference would break up and the schools wound fend for themselves I'm guessing.

Belmont denies talk of conference move...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

At this point Belmont seems to be the clear favorite and is already hearing from boosters that $ won't be an issue holding them back. Geography is crusing the Dakotas in this realignment.

Oakland leaving isn't ideal but I would love to see IPFW and UIPUI out of the SL. They are below average and that is based on WIU's standards. At least Macomb is just small, we don't struggle while being settled in a metro market... WTF is up with UIPUI, how can they not compete? I hope they start playing in the Pepsi Center that is being remodeled right now on the IN State Fair Grounds. FW is more of a dump and I can see that as a much bigger struggle at least but they don't have to compete with Butler etc in FW. Might as well let them in the Metro Rust Belt Conference, I mean Horizon League. Sports offered will play a role for the HL to add FW and UIPUI, baseball is a need there etc. They are already in the HL footprint.

As for new additions I would like to add a DII rather than shuffle another D1 that isn't worth the investment. Bellermine sp? is likely no longer an option if Belmont leaves because they will be swept up by the OVC, so happy we waited! They didn't even have football to screw around with...

Also, Lindenwood has the $ for the move up, facilities, and such but I don't know where they would sit on football. I say let them in and give WIU a closer and more stable travel partner than the IN & MI schools. I would take UND but not UNC. Western is enough when it comes to directional schools and it is why perceptions have been rough even though IL has 25 million people nobody wants to give any directional school credit.

Ideally based on reality.... WIU, NDSU, UND, SDSU, Omaha, USD, DU, IPFW, UIPUI, Lindenwood DII. That is ten teams and better travel arrangements than currently offered or eight with the IN schools gone. That would be adding Denver and St. Louis to the SL markets replacing crappy Detroit at least and maybe FW & Indianapolis (I like Indy tho). I would be happy with eight teams if the IN schools left. Not sure other suggestions but I am not about to cheer an added MN school to the mix. It once sounded alright (so did Northern Co) but the more I learn the less I like it. The moratorium will soon be lifting so we need to have the SL in step with what needs to happen. I feel the NAIA schools may fill much of the departed DII schools slots across the country so the NCAA will be more welcoming now.

Western is a candidate for the OVC but that is a step down in competition IMO. Much cheaper travel though which would allow for more $ to each sport and with the MVFC issues regarding SL membership WIU sees this issue never being resolved. Western is in that mix unofficially, I was told before we had no chance but that has changed (hoops showing a pulse maybe or number issues).

Travel Partners.... UND NDSU, USD SDSU, DU Omaha, WIU Lindenwood, IPFW UIPUI (if they stay)

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Belmont denies talk of conference move...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
    Which generally turns out to be an invite...
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheMighty View Post
    I didn't even know they had basketball until this year, I thought it was all hockey...when was the last time they made the dance?
    i dont think theyve ever made the dance

Quote Originally Posted by CalBison97 View Post
    Why is Denver (not my NBA Nuggets) seemingly such a prized possession? I have never noticed them do anything successfully at the collegiate level. I must have missed something.
    theyre a lot better then adding a chicago state or another D2 team. theyre a decent team this season

No way would adding a D2 be a good move. We need to try and get a peer institution. UND would give us that.......UNC would not. Plus UNC tends to be a conference door mat.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    No way would adding a D2 be a good move. We need to try and get a peer institution. UND would give us that.......UNC would not. Plus UNC tends to be a conference door mat.
    UND is not leaving the Big Sky to put their football team in limbo just to get into the Summit. Sure they might get into the MVFC but they might also not. I am not sure why people keep bringing up UND in these discussions, like they would somehow leave the Big Sky in a minute to join the summit conference.

yeah the big sky is way more stable than the summit. und wont leave it unless somewhere down the road the mvc wants all of the dakota schools