Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri Valley to look at NDSU???

Default Re: Missouri Valley to look at NDSU???

Curious as to see where the improvement is with the SL in your opinion. I look at the SL as top heavy, with currently the top 3-4 teams as very good. Denver comes in and Oakland likely leaves and it's still 3-4. The other programs are so bad IMO. Sure we lose UMKC but if we lose Oakland too the addition of Denver all of a sudden doesn't look as great for the SL.

If I look 5 years into the future the only way I see it getting better is the improvement of the bottom feeders and I don't particularly think that's going to happen.

I agree to an extent, I have to be hopeful because WIU isn't on anyones radar. We are the last founding member still kicking along so I have seen a $#^* load of movement and it has been much better recently all around. You never played Buffalo, Central Conn etc. LOL it sucks.

UMKC had to go... What a blessing... I feel Oakland could be swayed to stay if Valpo and Loyola jumped over to the SL. After some thought they seem much better than the WI schools mentioned before. That would create space to dump IPFW & UIPUI off on the Horizon which is where those schools need to be for budget and travel. Oakland would love to ball against Loyola and Valpo and everyone here seems to despise losing Oakland so lets switch the projected move. Evansville wouldn't leave for the Horizon without those schools there anymore. I could see that happening because the SL is top heavy but trim the fat (IN schools) and add stuffing (Valpo & Loyola) next thing you know it is much improved. Work for 5-10 years with that group and everyone knows the SL is no joke. NDSU gets to be the big dog in a much more respected league. The MVC will still be what it is now but with some competition. They have played the OVC, Horizon, and SL against each other to keep us all lower than the MVC... Western is tired of the current state of affairs and fans have been pushing for SL football. That along with genuine appreciation for sports jive is why I am posting here. Trying to plant the seeds for stability and success. Not make Brakley, Drake, and Wichita happier. There has been enough of that...

IF Loyola and Valpo moved on board it would be a big time league to play in. We can't attract those schools with football schools not being solidified and UMKC's running around lol oh wait! Hmm, so that leaves just one issue to address. "I'd buy that for a dollar." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc

The improvement I look for is usually longer term. Losing UMKC, Southern Utah, Chicago St., and Centenary is HUGE though. We became better through that, DU and ORU is an even swap IMO.

Travel wouldn't be insane for the metro Chicago schools if there were added but they fear much like WIU has to NDSU trying to move up. And not to be a dick the Big Ten isn't adding you anytime soon so any move up is completely pointless in the scheme of things. Nobody can win it all from the MAC and the MWC isn't going to look past the Rockies. NDSU should set anchor to let people know they are they the boss. WIU wants to position itself for the break away and be a high calibar team in the new FCS post break. It is assumed to include MAC, CAA, Big Sky, Sun Belt types. You can't position yourself properly IMO spending tons of money on conference happenings that aren't elite aka BCS. Even Boise had to come back to the MWC. TCU was in the old Southwest so they are a terrible example of moving up, they moved back to par. So name a school that has jumped from FCS into the BCS.... I'll wait.

Seriously... SL football stabilizes the entire conference as the true MVC rival. Moves like adding Loyola and Valpo start to make sense at that point, not just pie in the sky.

I could see a SL hoops team making a run just as easy as any Horizon team in the next 5-10 years and with these two additions I'd gaurentee it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    OMG, why do we Bison fans self-deprecate ourselves?? ("Yeah, I think the MVC would rather bring in these three tiny-ass private schools than the Dakota Summit schools... We're not good enough for them, blah blah blah.")

Attitudes round here were more confident 6-7 years ago.

NEVER sell your alma mater short of reality. It means you're not really proud of your degree.

Here's what I can totally see happening:

Creighton, Bradley and Evansville - Goneski to the Catholic Boys. MVC down to 7.

NDSU,SDSU,USD,UNO, Denver added to MVC, makes a nice 12.

WIU to the OVC. They really want more of that rivalry with EIU.

IUPUI, IPFW and Oakland to replace the Horizon schools that left
    Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope things are going well

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    That's unquestionable. Southern Illinois, Bradley, and UNI have all made runs into the second weekend of the NCAA's in the last few years. As a footprint in college basketball it's a conference that remains on that second tier below the big 6 conferences along with the A-10, Conference USA, and MWC -although MWC has almost made that jump up to the Big 6).
    Summit is about 2 notches below that.

I guess I'm not sure why people here are so nonchalant about thinking they would easily add us. If they ever came seriously came calling for any Summit team, they should not even think about entertaining the thought of going. It would be idiotic to go without question in a second.
    Honestly I dont think it will happen. I WANT it to happen and we will get a serious look but at the end of the day they want to get more popular so they can keep their espn deal and the Dakotas are not exactly big time by an outsiders perspective. Although being a STATE university is a big deal. But I do think in time, we can and will become an asset. The market sizes are comparable and the difference is NDSU is the entire state as well as western MN with a solid name in Minneapolis. Plus we will help out and become a box office draw for teams like UNI, SIU, ISU blue and red, and Missouri St. Fans know us. We know them. Also from a stability standpoint, the MVC is out final destination unless the impossible happens and we go Big 10 or Big 12. That is great for stability

I think we fit in if they do a large expansion.
    Maybe Denver, Wisconsin (Milwaukee), North and South Dakota. UNO is a great market with huge potential but 800 per game kills perception. Bradley would be replaced witb another Illinois school like Loyola if i had to guess

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I think if they go to 12 we have a good shot...if 10 they'll probably add a private school. That said if they lose another school all bets are off.

I do think we have as much to offer as any other school out there. NDSU has a lot of potential.

The potential of NDSU is very good and has a very high ceiling. We are the number one option in our market and a lot of schools can't say that. A substantial population base and multiple flights in and out of here. It is going to be very interesting and I hope NDSU can improve their position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    The potential of NDSU is very good and has a very high ceiling. We are the number one option in our market and a lot of schools can't say that. A substantial population base and multiple flights in and out of here. It is going to be very interesting and I hope NDSU can improve their position.
    This. I can't even count on my fingers the amount of times I have heard on AGS the reason we aren't worried about going FBS is because "We are the ticket in town."

I feel like if we get into the MVC we will plant ourselves here and once we are in the conference, there will be lots of stability in the conference, at least as far as NDSU is concerned. I really am hoping that the MVC comes calling our departments number, because it would be a great upgrade for us.

GET THE SHAC DONE! We should not need anymore reasons!
    Last edited by IBleedYellow; 03-02-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Western4Life View Post
    I agree to an extent, I have to be hopeful because WIU isn't on anyones radar. We are the last founding member still kicking along so I have seen a $#^* load of movement and it has been much better recently all around. You never played Buffalo, Central Conn etc. LOL it sucks.
    Thanks for the insight... it's always good to get a perspective from other schools in the Summit. You guys have definitely been through the conference-reorganization wars before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    We are the number one option in our market and a lot of schools can't say that.

Whatever dude. The Harlow Highliners have central Benson County locked up!
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Hypothetical.... What if the Summit becomes unstable and the Big Sky Commish calls GT? Do the Dakota Schools move? (The UNI and S. Ill fans who don't want NDSU in the MVC may want to consider that scenario.)