Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential 2013 Rule Changes

Default Re: Potential 2013 Rule Changes

I just hope the targeting above the shoulders rule will apply when the defender begins to make the tackle so they don't get ejected if the tackler aims for the runner's chest and the runner ducks low resulting in a helmet collision.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...seless+players

Please note these are not final and approved. There are often changes from the committee recommendation to the oversight panel. Here is a summary of the key changes proposed:

• Add ejection to the penalty if a player targets a defenseless opponent above the shoulders
    • Further reduction of low blocks (appears they may be moving closer to HS rule and low blocks only allowed in close line play immediately after the snap)
    • 10 second run-off if a player is injured in last 1 minute of a half (if the injury is the only reason the clock was stopped)
    • To require teams to have either their jersey or pants contrast in color to the playing field - call this the Boise State or EWU rule
    • There must be at least 3 seconds remaining on the clock (presumably at the snap) in order for a team to successfully spike the ball to stop the clock
    I'm guessing this will also apply to Oregon and their all green jersey/pant combination that some on here desire NDSU to pursue.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I just hope the targeting above the shoulders rule will apply when the defender begins to make the tackle so they don't get ejected if the tackler aims for the runner's chest and the runner ducks low resulting in a helmet collision.
    If a runner has time to duck I don't think he is considered "defenseless" anymore.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Is this similar to a few years back when the NFL decided they were just going to take X sec off the clock for field goals? That way there was no home cooking with the game clock and no arguing over whether there should be a few seconds left on the clock to force a kickoff. My question is, are they concerned about home field clock operators letting their team get the spike in before 0?
    Maybe. I'm not sure if that is a rule or more of a philosophy. When we meet with a clock operator we tell them to make sure the clock runs out on a made FG if there are 5 seconds or less remaining at the snap. There is no rule in the rule book for it but it's a common philosophy. This one they are actually codifying. Neither issue is as much about home cooking but more to do with consistency. One of the officials is focused on the clock so even if it ticks down to 0 but should have been stopped with 1 or 2 seconds left the clock will be reset by the on-field officials. Levels with replay can use it as well.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    If a runner has time to duck I don't think he is considered "defenseless" anymore.
    Correct. I still think that should be a foul on someone though because it is very dangerous for the runner to lower his helmet. The challenge is was he lowering his helmet to delivery a blow or was he compressing or in the process of going to the ground.

There was a lot of talk about the hit in the Super Bowl when the Ravens RB was knocked out and fumbled. I had no issue with what the defender did. The runner lowered his head and lead with the crown of his helmet. That should have been a foul on the RB in my opinion.

Someone in NY introduced legislation outlawing tackle football for anyone under the age of 11. We need to do something about getting players to stop using their head or hitting in the head or we may lose this game.

During NFL games I've noticed that the clock seems to keep on ticking when a field goal is made near the end of a half when it looks like there is still 1 or 2 seconds on the clock as the ball goes through the uprights.
    It's OK to not be OK.