Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: UMKC to the WAC????

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UMKC to the WAC????

UMKC must have felt certain that there will be changes coming to the mid-major conferences and that the Summit future will be affected significantly. I can't think of any other reason to go to a lesser conference (the new WAC). The quality and the geography of the current Summit are better than the new WAC for UMKC. However, UMKC has a better chance to be successful in the new WAC.

Anyway, we won't know anything regarding conference shifting until the Catholic-7 decide who they will be pursuing. It would be tough for Creighton to turn down an invite to join that group. Those schools will command big money in TV negotiations, more than the MVC could ever distribute to its members.

Would be fun if all of this would get NDSU into the MVC, even if Creighton was no longer a member. I don't think anyone on this board has ever thought that the Summit is the final conference stop for NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    UMKC must have felt certain that there will be changes coming to the mid-major conferences and that the Summit future will be affected significantly. I can't think of any other reason to go to a lesser conference (the new WAC). The quality and the geography of the current Summit are better than the new WAC for UMKC. However, UMKC has a better chance to be successful in the new WAC.

Anyway, we won't know anything regarding conference shifting until the Catholic-7 decide who they will be pursuing. It would be tough for Creighton to turn down an invite to join that group. Those schools will command big money in TV negotiations, more than the MVC could ever distribute to its members.

Would be fun if all of this would get NDSU into the MVC, even if Creighton was no longer a member. I don't think anyone on this board has ever thought that the Summit is the final conference stop for NDSU.
    Thanks for weighing in, Greenie. (For those who don't know, Greenie is one of those guys you listen to on this board......) Feels like something big is happening in the background that none of us really understand, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    That is about what I was saying. I don't think the BoR will let SDSU leave USD behind to go to the MVC. We shall see tho.

Who cares what they have done at this point. Better arena? Check. Bigger market? Check. Geographic footprint? Check. To me, it more than passes the smell test. We shall see. Plus, my comment was based more on the fact that NDSU/SDSU weren't in the plans at all...more or less, it's unlikely any of the schools go, but UNO just makes more sense.

Exactly. And I think that is just one of the reasons.

I'm hoping NDSU/SDSU are headed to the MVC, I just don't believe it is going to happen.
    Success is the biggest thing conferences look at. Omaha doesn't have that. How come the A10 doesn't add Manhattan or Columbia? I mean they're in the NYC market!

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    Success is the biggest thing conferences look at. Omaha doesn't have that. How come the A10 doesn't add Manhattan or Columbia? I mean they're in the NYC market!
    NDSU and SDSU are definitely the most successful and the geography and relationship with the Missouri Valley have to make a difference

As far as success... NDSU and SDSU have already made the big dance and had solid showings.

RPI MENS BASKEBALL THROUGH TODAY and ATTENDANCE (last year)
    #33 Creighton (16,665)
    #37 Wichita (10,391)
    #38 Indiana State (5,433)
    #68 SDSU (3,320)
    #76 NDSU (3,156)
    #99 Northern Iowa (4,406)
    #109 Oral Roberts (4,494)
    #122 Evansville (5135)
    #125 Illinois State (4783)
    #135 Oakland (3346)
    #146 Drake (3965)
    #152 Western Illinois (1182)
    #157 Bradley (7640)
    #194 Southern Illinois (3,299)
    #205 Missouri State (7050)
    #225 South Dakota (1701)
    #253 UND (2045)
    #300 Nebraska Omaha (897)

Looks like NDSU and SDSU would actually help increase the conferences RPI of the MVC
    As far as attendance goes, NDSU and SDSU is not that far off. It's tough to draw when you don't have any big games. Our conference attendance is actually really good. The new conference will take care of that by bringing better name competition. NDSU has the potential. We drew better as a D2 team at times.
    NDSU mens basketball hasn't even come close to peaking. With the new arena, it will be sold out every night. SDSU already has a nice arena. I would imagine the MVC is aware of the fact we brought 10,000 fans to Minneapolis on less than a weeks notice to watch us nearly upset #1 Kansas

Womens programs. SDSU is phenomenal and would add to any conference. We are underachieving but clearly there is potential with the 6 D2 National Championships and a new facility on the horizon

Other sports? Our women's softball team is phenomenal. Track and Field just built a brand new indoor facility and would add to any program. Our Volleyball team has top notch facilities, draws well, and not counting last year has been phenomenal. Baseball is on the rise and our stadium is top notch. We're a good fit.

Throw in the fact we already have built in rivalries with Indiana State, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, and Illinois State and this is a slam dunk. Our non conference games improve.

And I know football has nothing to do with basketball but clearly having a that connection and the big time success we have seen can't hurt our cause. It's certainly improved our profile significantly and we've proven what we have the potential to do.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    I don't disagree and honestly think NDSU would be a great get for MVC however, if Craig leaves then UNO fills the Omaha market. UNO, while a hockey school, doesn't have football as a priority which appears to be a belief amongst all other MVC schools. The a-10 doesn't need Manhattan because of Fordham across the street and columbia is ivy.

What worries me is the potential for the MVC to end up looking for 3 programs if Creighton leaves and they decide to expand to 12.

If geography matters, the logical choices might be UNO, USD, SDSU. That would bite.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Thanks for weighing in, Greenie. (For those who don't know, Greenie is one of those guys you listen to on this board......) Feels like something big is happening in the background that none of us really understand, yet.
    Thanks TSCF -- I wish I had more to offer at this point, but it just seems like UMKC is being proactive rather than reactive. They must feel that the Summit will get raided significantly after the Catholic-7 take whoever they want. That group will likely affect the A10 and MVC directly, and then trickle down to Horizon, Summit, etc.

We know that the the Catholic-7 and Notre Dame are staying in the Big East for 2013-2014, so the big changes won't officially happen until the 2014-2015 season.

Quote Originally Posted by PierreYote View Post
    I don't disagree and honestly think NDSU would be a great get for MVC however, if Craig leaves then UNO fills the Omaha market. UNO, while a hockey school, doesn't have football as a priority which appears to be a belief amongst all other MVC schools. The a-10 doesn't need Manhattan because of Fordham across the street and columbia is ivy.
    They fill the Omaha market? I'm guessing they fill the Omaha market likes UMKC fills the Kansas City market.

Does anyone realize the make up of the MVC? It is mostly mid-sized Midwest metro areas, places where the university is a big deal and not some afterthought.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks Greenie! Two posts in one day, I love it. Always appreciate the info that you bring to this board.

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    What worries me is the potential for the MVC to end up looking for 3 programs if Creighton leaves and they decide to expand to 12.

If geography matters, the logical choices might be UNO, USD, SDSU. That would bite.
    There is no way that NDSU gets left out if they decide to take any Dakota schools. Overall winning, potential, and fanbase --> hard to beat NDSU at that game. I know this isn't about football, but MVFC would lose NDSU if it got snubbed. That might set off a "We're ready for FBS, MAC or MWC are you interested?" or "Big Sky, would you like a travel partner for UND?"