Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Pottsie got a vote of No Confidence at his previous job before getting ousted as the Chancellor as well. Maybe they should hire someone who hasn't been fired recently for this position.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How do Boards of Regents work in states that have them, i.e. are the members elected, governor-appointed, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    How do Boards of Regents work in states that have them, i.e. are the members elected, governor-appointed, etc.?
    I think it varies from place to place and the practices aren't necessarily consistent with the names they use to describe the boards.

In VA, where there was a recent controversy over a coupe at UVA, each school has a Board of Visitors appointed by the Governor, subject to Senate confirmation. In the face of reduced state funding about 8 years ago, and having the benefit of the 2nd largest endowment of any public university in the country UVA exchanged a reduced state role and funding for more autonomy. Despite that fact the Board of Visitors remains and certain of its members ousted the President last year only to see her reinstated after massive campus outcry and revelations of undue influence of a very narrow sliver of alumni over the Board of Visitors. The state Senate is currently considering the reappointment of one of Board members central to the coupe. It seems like even when you've got $5 billion of your own money and the state has agreed to largely butt out of your business, it's still tough to keep the politicians out of university affairs.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 02-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Shirvani was a very stupid hire. He was practically run off from several previous positions. I don't know what the hell they expected by hiring him. Shirvani is a disaster and Bresciani is a disaster. One down....one to go.

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I understand Shirvani being a poor hire because of his ragged record at other universities but can someone fill us in specifically why this bill was introduced. They're not firing him cause he was poor at his last job. What triggered this action?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I'm sure that the Legislature would like to do away with that as well... along with initiated measures.

Personally, I think that the SBoHE is pretty terrible - just not as terrible as the Legislature.
    True dat.

The legislature is already trying to micromanage it now and it can only get worse.
    2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 National FCS Champions.

Eight is Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by perthbison View Post
    I understand Shirvani being a poor hire because of his ragged record at other universities but can someone fill us in specifically why this bill was introduced. They're not firing him cause he was poor at his last job. What triggered this action?
    I'm curious about this as well. I haven't been able to find anyone who will cite a specific example of him performing his current job incorrectly. I get how the legislature and the schools both hate not having complete control but isn't that the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I haven't been able to find anyone who will cite a specific example of him performing his current job incorrectly. I get how the legislature and the schools both hate not having complete control but isn't that the point?
    It's my understanding that the bill, as drafted, merely ALLOWS the SBOH to buy out his contract. Currently it is not legal to buy out any state employee's contract.

I believe coaches receive pay from other than state funds. YMMV
    2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 National FCS Champions.

Eight is Great!!

The Esteemed Legislator from Tioga weighs in on the Chancellor situation. He might be a Douche but he's a powerful one and it appears he is in Shirvani's corner.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/257524/

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    The Esteemed Legislator from Tioga weighs in on the Chancellor situation. He might be a Douche but he's a powerful one and it appears he is in Shirvani's corner.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/257524/
    That might be the most intelligent collection of sentences he's ever written. But he's still showing his bias.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.