Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Default Re: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Not so stealth funding cut for 2-year institutions proposed:

http://www.inforum.com/news/legislat...on-freeze-bill

Proposal would freeze tuition while providing $2.5 million in funding to plug the estimated $2.7 million hole freezing tuition would create.

Conversation included talk of extending tuition freeze to all 11 campus and providing $29.7 million instead. The story didn't bother to say how big of a hole a system wide tuition freeze would create, so there's no number to compare the $29.7 million against.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Not so stealth funding cut for 2-year institutions proposed:

http://www.inforum.com/news/legislat...on-freeze-bill

Proposal would freeze tuition while providing $2.5 million in funding to plug the estimated $2.7 million hole freezing tuition would create.

Conversation included talk of extending tuition freeze to all 11 campus and providing $29.7 million instead. The story didn't bother to say how big of a hole a system wide tuition freeze would create, so there's no number to compare the $29.7 million against.

Freeze tuition, make the scholarship dollars go farther!
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Create the presumption that the legislature is responsible for setting tuition rates by arguing that they should be frozen. Taxpayers who don't know any better fall in love with idea. Bootstrap the legislative control of tuition rates. Profit. (obvious byproduct, NDSU gets the shaft)

Anyone who thinks that Dosch getting on TV talking about the whole cost of attendance stipend thing wasn't a direct shot isn't paying attention. As if that's going to come from institutional or state funds. Those are only used for women's hockey scholarships (I mean tuition waivers, although this is not the case any more) and paying for a committee to recommend something to other committees.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So how many more sessions will it take to completely neuter the state board of higher education and clearly undermine ND taxpayers who voted against the referendum which would have abolished the state board? The next question, which is even scarier, is how many people will really notice? Yeah, we'll leave it to the voters to make a decision but then if we don't like it, we will take it apart piece by piece anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    So how many more sessions will it take to completely neuter the state board of higher education and clearly undermine ND taxpayers who voted against the referendum which would have abolished the state board? The next question, which is even scarier, is how many people will really notice? Yeah, we'll leave it to the voters to make a decision but then if we don't like it, we will take it apart piece by piece anyways.
    Referendum time
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Referendum time
    So we need another referendum to basically reinforce how we voted the last referendum because they didn't get the message clear enough.

It is starting to creep into recall time.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I would bet that this is not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I would bet that this is not legal.
    1. Ask your Senator to vote no.
    2. Ask the Governor to veto it.
    3. Challenge it on the ballot (initiated/referred measure)
    4. If it's not legal, probably it is, I'd think the court challenge would have to come from the SBoHE or one of the impacted institutions.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

1. Ask your Senator to vote no.
    2. Ask the Governor to veto it.
    3. Challenge it on the ballot (initiated/referred measure)
    4. If it's not legal, probably it is, I'd think the court challenge would have to come from the SDoHE or one of the impacted institutions.
    I agree, Challenge would have to come from someone that can prove they are directly harmed. l am just not sure what the SBOHE is charged to regulate. If Tution falls under their purview then I would think this would be illegal
    Last edited by MAKBison; 02-01-2015 at 04:38 AM.