Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Default ND Higher Education just got interesting

OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Default Re: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Grindberg is buddies with Bresciani, who I doubt he has any objections to this, considering that Shirvani was a terrible hire in the first place.

Former NDSU intramural athlete.

I'm doing research trying to decide whether to start a "Not Joel Heitkamp" twitter feed.

Al Carlson is on KFGO saying that the Legislature is going to try to get rid of the board of the higher ed.

"It's all about governance" must be code for "it's all about grabbing more power."

Bad news for the board.

New hire doesn't even make it through one session?

The state has a serious problem...
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

shirvani was a terrible hire to start with, google him and see all the problems he had in the CSU system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamid_Shirvani
    Last edited by matt; 02-05-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added wikipedia link

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    shirvani was a terrible hire to start with, google him and see all the problems he had in the CSU system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamid_Shirvani
    So when he was a University President he pissed off his faculty and he's got trouble complying with disclosure rules. Sounds like a perfect fit for Bismarck.

So does Bresciani want him out over the Planned Parenthood flap?

I'm sure Carlson would love to have an excuse to fold the whole state board of higher education. If the University Presidents don't like this guy, I can't imagine their life is going to get any better if the SBoHE goes away.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

The good thing is that the SBoHE is in the state constituion. It will take an amendment to change that, which requires a vote of the people.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    The good thing is that the SBoHE is in the state constituion. It will take an amendment to change that, which requires a vote of the people.
    I'm sure that the Legislature would like to do away with that as well... along with initiated measures.

Personally, I think that the SBoHE is pretty terrible - just not as terrible as the Legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    So when he was a University President he pissed off his faculty and he's got trouble complying with disclosure rules. Sounds like a perfect fit for Bismarck.
    Also, he previously resigned from the Dean position at the University of Colorado, Denver School of Architecture and Planning 'under duress' during his time there, half of the faculty left, it is reported he could not get along with either the faculty or the administration.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I'm sure that the Legislature would like to do away with that as well... along with initiated measures.

Personally, I think that the SBoHE is pretty terrible - just not as terrible as the Legislature.
    I think the SBoHE needs some updating, the concept of the board has merit, in removing higher ed from the political fighting. In reality that does not seem to occur. The board in past few years seems to me to have a rubber stamping function. I don't recall any real issue that the board vigorously debated. My feeling is that this occurs due to the political patronage associated appointments to the board. I would love to see the board revamped.