Page 30 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: ND Higher Education just got interesting

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: ND Higher Education just got interesting

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    The sate legislature approved the purchase of the REAC building by UND. REAC was built by the UND Research Foundation with a bank loan and an economic development grant from the state. The controversy over the purchase was the mechanism. The legislation allowing the purchase directed the State Board of Higher Education to negotiate with the UND Research Foundation for the purchase. What happened was the Chancellor simply allowed UND to negotiate with the UND Research Foundation (which has UND employees on its Board (among others)).
    Not to worry. They all had the state of ND best interest in mind. (extreme purple)

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    http://www.ndmedicine.org/article.cfm?articleid=418So un_ sends most residents to Minnesota {gasp} and there are 7 that go to Michigan...and 8 that stay in ND. I'm just not convinced a shiny new building is going to improve this retention rate
    I agree the issue is the number of residents in the state, and the new building does nothing for that.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I agree the issue is the number of residents in the state, and the new building does nothing for that.

ButShinyNewBuildingAndMoneyToGrandForks. Is there really more to it than that?
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

We send $60 million to Grand Forks each biennium for a college with 250 students, nearly all of whom leave the state?

We're constructing a $130 million building to house them?

Why?

You want to talk about wasted public money supporting egos.

///

Take $25 million per year. Give every new North Dakota doctor (up to 50/year) a $500,000 interest free loan, forgiven in 10 years given they reside and practice in the state. Problem actually addressed. I'll take the extra $5 million for coming up with the idea.

Wait. It's crazy to give such high income folks a $500,000 handout? 1. We're already doing it and then they leave the state. 2. You're right. F' them. Let the market work. If Devils Lake can't attract doctors, tough sh#t.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    We send $60 million to Grand Forks each biennium for a college with 250 students, nearly all of whom leave the state?

Why?

///

Take $25 million per year. Give every new North Dakota doctor (up to 50/year) a $500,000 interest free loan, forgiven in 10 years given they reside and practice in the state. Problem actually addressed. I'll take the extra $5 million for coming up with the idea.

Wait. It's crazy to give such high income folks a $500,000 handout? 1. We're already doing it and then they leave the state. 2. You're right. F' them. Let the market work. If Devils Lake can't attract doctors, tough sh#t.
    ButShinyNewBuilding, where does that fit into your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    ButShinyNewBuilding, where does that fit into your plan?

Exactly. Kind of like building all kinds of other new buildings when 16% or so of your enrolled students don't ever step foot on campus.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post

Why?

///

They have loan forgiveness with dentists if they practice here.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Pfft.

UND should add a Dental School.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

What is going on now with the NDSU rant on kfgo today? The president doesn't care about students only high rollers. The chancellor won't come on the radio so they don't call him anymore. The blob was mentioned. Did I miss something?
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    What is going on now with the NDSU rant on kfgo today? The president doesn't care about students only high rollers. The chancellor won't come on the radio so they don't call him anymore. The blob was mentioned. Did I miss something?
    ]

They are going after the NDSU development Foundation. The Portly one filed a request to open up all their records and they denied it and he appealed to the AG and he agreed the Development foundation is public and must turn over all records. This gave Heitkamp a opening to rag on NDSU again and he even went into how he was just about fired for "taking on NDSU" during the whole Chapman ordeal. Then he ragged on the Forum for a while for covering up for NDSU and not reporting on them. He is quite a bitter old man and would rather rag on NDSU any chance he gets. Even made a comment that it must be ok for them to do whatever they want as long as they win championships.