Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New University Funding Model Proposal

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default New University Funding Model Proposal

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/a...r%20Education/

"The new formula would take a base dollar amount that would vary depending on the kind of institution -- two-year schools, such as Bismarck State College, would receive $117 per credit; Dickinson State University and other four-year regional campuses, $110 per credit; and North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota would both receive $72 per credit -- and multiply that by the number of credit hours earned by students at the school.

That figure would then be multiplied by three main elements, which can increase the funding per credit completed.

The first element is the weighted student credit hour, which provides more formula dollars for a higher level of instruction or costlier programs such as nursing. A lower level course will receive a smaller weight and fewer dollars compared to an upper level course."

Default Re: New University Funding Model Proposal

Why not fund NDSU at the same level as UND?

Oh wait...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Why not fund NDSU at the same level as UND?

Oh wait...
    Well, they list the base numbers but then say, "Yeah, but we're going to multiply these by three other numbers which reward low enrollment schools with lots of excess classroom space and then we're going to weight programs."

Get back to me when they get done gaming the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Well, they list the base numbers but then say, "Yeah, but we're going to multiply these by three other numbers which reward low enrollment schools with lots of excess classroom space and then we're going to weight programs."

Get back to me when they get done gaming the numbers.
    They wouldn't game the numbers now would they?
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

I have heard that this would be a significant improvement over what is going on now. I just wonder how UND will try to game this. It also always has irritated me that the little schools get so much more per student funding and NDSU gets hammered for our economies of scale. But, being a NDSU alumnus, my perspective is rather jaded towards the small schools.

Heard on the radio someone sponsored a bill to remove NDUS institution cities and purposes from teh state constitution. Bravo, but that will unfortunately go nowhere.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Heard on the radio someone sponsored a bill to remove NDUS institution cities and purposes from teh state constitution. Bravo, but that will unfortunately go nowhere.
    That is something ND ought to do, but I think the vote would split with urban folks voting to remove from the constitution and rural people voting no. Add to that Minot and Dickinson likely voting not on it as well, and the likelihood of passage of an amendment to the constitution is pretty slim.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    I have heard that this would be a significant improvement over what is going on now. I just wonder how UND will try to game this. It also always has irritated me that the little schools get so much more per student funding and NDSU gets hammered for our economies of scale. But, being a NDSU alumnus, my perspective is rather jaded towards the small schools.
    Well, it'd be almost impossible to make it worse, I applaud them for trying, but here's the quote that worries me:

Rep. Mark Sanford, R-Grand Forks, a retired school administrator and member of the interim committee said Tuesday the committee met with many experts from North Dakota and out of state when trying to create the proposed formula.
    “This, as a base formula, provides an excellent opportunity to consider other measures of performance [emphasis mine] that could be part of the funding system,” he said.
    Good idea, right? Except that is nothing but an exercise in gaming the numbers if they give "performance bonuses" that go into effect immediately rather than in four or five years.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    That is something ND ought to do, but I think the vote would split with urban folks voting to remove from the constitution and rural people voting no. Add to that Minot and Dickinson likely voting not on it as well, and the likelihood of passage of an amendment to the constitution is pretty slim.
    Maybe, but the reasoning supposedly behind it is that NDSU is defined as an ag school and some of the other schools are defined as teacher colleges and have grown beyond those descriptions. If people would actually educate themselves on this vote I don't see how it wouldn't pass.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Maybe, but the reasoning supposedly behind it is that NDSU is defined as an ag school and some of the other schools are defined as teacher colleges and have grown beyond those descriptions. If people would actually educate themselves on this vote I don't see how it wouldn't pass.

Look no further than the nickname bill!!