Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS Mid-Major Power Pyramid

Default CBS Mid-Major Power Pyramid

14. North Dakota State (15-3).
    Why it's here: As much as I bemoan the RPI, NDSU is a top 50-rated team right now, while its other Summit League brethren with an undefeated league record (Western Illinois) is all the way in the 170s. Many other metrics give the lean to the Bison as well, so welcome them in.

Something you should know: North Dakota State's Marshall Bjorklund is the second-best shooter from the field in terms of "effective" field goal percentage, at 72.4 percent, and is No. 1 overall in good ol' field goal percentage (72.1). He's got a 4-percentage-point advantage in the latter, too. That's downright Ricardo Ratliffe-esque, and even better!
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nate-the-convo
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Default Re: CBS Mid-Major Power Pyramid

what is the difference between "effective" field goal percentage and field goal percentage?

Effective field goal percentage tries to account for the higher difficulty and point value of the 3 by giving you 1.5 makes for each 3 and only 1 for each 2.

Say Marshall goes 5/10 with all of his attempts coming in the lane, both his FG% .500 his EFG% is .500. If Felt only shoots 3's and goes 4/10 his FG% is .400, but his EFG% is .600.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    Effective field goal percentage tries to account for the higher difficulty of the 3 by giving you 1.5 makes for each 3 and only 1 for each 2.

Say Marshall goes 5/10 with all of his attempts coming in the lane, both his FG% .500 his EFG% is .500. If Felt only shoots 3's and goes 4/10 his FG% is .400, but his EFG% is .500.
    Wouldn't the EFG be .600 then?
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by gotts View Post
    Wouldn't the EFG be .600 then?
    You caught me before I fixed it! Yes the way I wrote it, it would be .600. I meant to make his EFG .500 in my example, but apparently it's still too early in the morning for me.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You caught me before I fixed it! Yes the way I wrote it, it would be .600. I meant to make his EFG .500 in my example, but apparently it's still too early in the morning for me.
    There's no problem a few well placed morning drinks can't solve.
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

Effective field goal percentage tries to account for the higher difficulty and point value of the 3 by giving you 1.5 makes for each 3 and only 1 for each 2.

Say Marshall goes 5/10 with all of his attempts coming in the lane, both his FG% .500 his EFG% is .500. If Felt only shoots 3's and goes 4/10 his FG% is .400, but his EFG% is .600.
    Not higher difficulty, just higher point value. A 20 footer is almost as difficult as a 21 footer but it's only worth 2 instead of 3. That's a bad shot and not rewarded in EFG%. The value of the corner 3 in the NBA is also a good illustration of this distinction between difficulty and point value. It's easier than some 2 point shots and counts more on the score board.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Anyone notice when they clicked the link and looked at his blurb about us that he states our next games are against Loyola Marymount and BYU? At least thats what I read. Unless I read it wrong. We play IUPUI and Western Illinois.
    Hail the Bison!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Not higher difficulty, just higher point value. A 20 footer is almost as difficult as a 21 footer but it's only worth 2 instead of 3. That's a bad shot and not rewarded in EFG%. The value of the corner 3 in the NBA is also a good illustration of this distinction between difficulty and point value. It's easier than some 2 point shots and counts more on the score board.
    It's a great stat and a great time to be a sports fan with all of the new more meaningful info being thrown around.

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    It's a great stat and a great time to be a sports fan with all of the new more meaningful info being thrown around.
    Agreed. With more data we're getting more good statistics.

Of course we're also getting more bad statistics. Though it feels like we're getting incrementally better at telling the difference... I'm still waiting for the day that batting average w/ runners in scoring position disappears.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie