Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A letter to NDSU Media Relations

Default A letter to NDSU Media Relations

People suggested doing this a while back after the NDSU/UND basketball game, and I finally got around to doing it. Thought I would share with the group in case it inspired anyone else to speak up. I emailed this letter to Media relations this afternoon.

Dear Mr Schwartz, Mr. Perreault, and Mr. Offerman,

When I graduated and moved back to the cities, we used to have no way of hearing about Bison sports scores until the next day and hopefully they would print something in the paper. Then as time went by we were able to listen to games on the radio. Now we can watch the video streams. Every time my wife and I watch Bison games we are always reminded of the old days and how lucky we are to be watching the Bison in the comforts of our own home. Having said that, there is room for improvement.

I have had the GoBison.com “All Access” through NeuLion for 2-3 years now. We watch a lot of basketball and football. We watch some softball, and plan on starting to watch wrestling. There have been numerous occasions where the service does not work properly: Video Freezing, pixilations, black screens, no audio etc. There have been numerous basketball games where we missed parts of the first half. There was even one football game where the video started and instead of Bison football…it showed a Sioux hockey show…then switched eventually to the football game. I have contacted NeuLion customer service MANY times. I have emailed them. I have called. Sometimes they have extended our membership a month for the inconvenience. The last few times, they just haven’t cared. They have given me the email runaround. Many times they tried to tell me it’s my own computer or internet that is causing the problem, which is untrue. A few months back after the NDSU/UND basketball game at the Fargodome, I got a hold of a customer service rep and his response was…”What do you want?" and "What do you want me to do about it?”

As I said earlier, I really appreciate being able to keep up with Bison athletics. But it gets frustrating when you are paying for a service, and nobody seems to care that it’s not working and the only other option is to not have the service and give up on watching the bison, which obviously isn’t an option. So either I keep watching in frustration, or try to do something about it. That’s the purpose of this email.

Its time for a change. I bet there is a lot of money out there to be made for the university if you can figure out a way to do this yourselves instead of relying on outside parties. In this age of Bison Division I athletics, the product that is going out is just not acceptable any more. We have grown up. It's time for the product to grow with the rest of the University. Regardless I wanted you to be aware of the situation in case you weren’t. Thanks for listening.

Go Bison!
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Default Re: A letter to NDSU Media Relations

Well said, reps to you sir.

I am glad you sent them the email. Like I have said in other threads, if those that have problems do not contact NDSU, they might not be aware of issues.

I am not sure it falls under Jeff Schwartz's duties, but he will probably forward it to someone else if not. I would have sent it to Gene Taylor and Jeremy Jorgenson.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I am glad you sent them the email. Like I have said in other threads, if those that have problems do not contact NDSU, they might not be aware of issues.

I am not sure it falls under Jeff Schwartz's duties, but he will probably forward it to someone else if not. I would have sent it to Gene Taylor and Jeremy Jorgenson.
    I remember you saying that and thats what made me do it. I looked on the athletic department media relations page and those were the 3 guys who were listed as heads of the department.

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Harumph, harumph.

blazing-saddles-355.jpg
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Quote Originally Posted by moosbah View Post
    Harumph, harumph.

blazing-saddles-355.jpg
    You watch your ass.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    You watch your ass.
    Gentlemen, please. Rest your sphincters.
    I'm coo-coo for Coco's puffs!

WWTFSMD?

Do not speak of that of about which we talk of not speaking... about.

Real men wear aprons. 2Be1Ask1

A response from media relations....

Thank you for the email. We are certainly aware of the issues you outlined. Unfortunately not all cases may be pinned on NeuLion. There have been some unexpected network connectivity issues in the Fargodome, and specifically the hockey show was a result of Midco Sports Network switching the live program feed we were sending to NeuLion. In terms of soccer and softball, we are at a point where those facilities make live streaming very difficult and we have had to abandon some of those events altogether. We are a lot of equipment and staff away from having a perfect solution for all of our sports.

Our contract with NeuLion expires this spring and I am leading an in-depth evaluation of NeuLion and other providers to find the best fit for us in terms of sports information, audio/video streaming, and on-demand content. Part of that process has been looking at content on as many platforms possible – IE, Firefox, Chrome, Android, iOS – including desktop and mobile environments.

One of our major considerations is keeping audio streaming and adding video streaming through our existing NeuLion mobile app, or moving to an HTML streaming model through another provider that is accessible through the native browser on any device. We also have to keep in mind that some of our digital assets accumulated with NeuLion over the past 8+ years may not be available to us if we switch providers.

It is a complex decision considering the numbers of hours we spend creating content. Most importantly, we will choose a provider that is easy to use – both for NDSU and our fans – and one that gives us a great mobile experience in addition to the main website.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    A response from media relations....

Thank you for the email. We are certainly aware of the issues you outlined. Unfortunately not all cases may be pinned on NeuLion. There have been some unexpected network connectivity issues in the Fargodome, and specifically the hockey show was a result of Midco Sports Network switching the live program feed we were sending to NeuLion. In terms of soccer and softball, we are at a point where those facilities make live streaming very difficult and we have had to abandon some of those events altogether. We are a lot of equipment and staff away from having a perfect solution for all of our sports.

Our contract with NeuLion expires this spring and I am leading an in-depth evaluation of NeuLion and other providers to find the best fit for us in terms of sports information, audio/video streaming, and on-demand content. Part of that process has been looking at content on as many platforms possible – IE, Firefox, Chrome, Android, iOS – including desktop and mobile environments.

One of our major considerations is keeping audio streaming and adding video streaming through our existing NeuLion mobile app, or moving to an HTML streaming model through another provider that is accessible through the native browser on any device. We also have to keep in mind that some of our digital assets accumulated with NeuLion over the past 8+ years may not be available to us if we switch providers.

It is a complex decision considering the numbers of hours we spend creating content. Most importantly, we will choose a provider that is easy to use – both for NDSU and our fans – and one that gives us a great mobile experience in addition to the main website.
    That's a great response. It's also nice to know they are talking about switching(I'm sure they've heard some grumblings previously) and taking it very seriously.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

I was floored by how straight forward and information rich that response was. Clearly I've been living in DC for far to long.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie