Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Big Hit Of All-Time

Default Re: Favorite Big Hit Of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post

Point being, I don't think there are many things a defender can do anymore that won't be called a penalty and I think the game is being ruined to a certain extent, especially in the NFL.
    The NFL is ridiculous with all the penalties. In a Steeler game earlier this season, Ryan Clark did a textbook hit where he lit a dude up.....with his head up and to the side, and shoulder pads in the guys chest. It was called a helmet-to-helmet hit because the offensive player layed on the ground.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    I realize you are a referee and understand the way the rule actually reads much better than I do, but what about watching football in the last few years leads you to believe that ANY helmet to helmet contact won't be called a personal foul. I have seen the exact scenario that I described play out many times in both college and NFL the last 3 or 4 years. A defensive player comes in low enough that he is being "safe" and the defender shifts his body to initiate some sort of helmet on helmet contact inadvertantly. Harrison Smith in a Vikes game earlier this year is a good example.

Point being, I don't think there are many things a defender can do anymore that won't be called a penalty and I think the game is being ruined to a certain extent, especially in the NFL.
    The rule is pretty simple. It's the interpretations and philosophies around the rule. Here is the actual text from related rules (9-1):

SECTION 1. All fouls in this section (unless noted) and any other acts of unnecessary roughness are personal fouls.
    ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.
    ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul.
    ARTICLE 12. a. No player shall tackle or run into a receiver when a forward pass to him obviously is not catchable. This is a personal foul and not pass interference. b. No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play either before or after the ball is dead.

The leading sentence of the section very vaguely unnecessary roughness. This is the only place that term is used. The next two articles have to do with illegal helmet contact. The last one often happens when a player picks an opponent off next to a pile or well behind a play.

Many of these plays are obviously fouls but there are plays that officials will debate should or should not be a foul. The obvious ones typically involve a defender not making any attempt to wrap up the opponent. If they launch it's even easier. I'm amazed at how many of those I still see, especially at the NFL and D1 level (we don't see a lot at the D3 or HS level). Here's an example from the BCS Championship game. When I first saw this play I didn't think anything of it but if you watch Ta'o closely you'll see it was helmet to helmet contact. But he was lighting up a guy. He was attempting to make a tackle and their helmets collided.

http://youtu.be/qYysOJwDYEE

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    The NFL is ridiculous with all the penalties. In a Steeler game earlier this season, Ryan Clark did a textbook hit where he lit a dude up.....with his head up and to the side, and shoulder pads in the guys chest. It was called a helmet-to-helmet hit because the offensive player layed on the ground.
    . Your quote "where he lit a guy up" is the likely problem. There has been an increase in hits where the defender isn't trying to tackle or block an opponent with legal techniques. They are just trying to hit them and these hits often end up being high. When in doubt it's a foul. I posted a video earlier in this thread where you see a player get "lit up" but the defender is making an attempt to tackle the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

. Your quote "where he lit a guy up" is the likely problem. There has been an increase in hits where the defender isn't trying to tackle or block an opponent with legal techniques. They are just trying to hit them and these hits often end up being high. When in doubt it's a foul. I posted a video earlier in this thread where you see a player get "lit up" but the defender is making an attempt to tackle the guy.
    Well, if I recall, he hit him legit form tackle style and wrapped him up and everything. So sad, I understand the whole "in question" thing better now. Thank you.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

DANKNXGLKEEHUKE_20130105231325.jpg

My new favorite big hit of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post

When I saw that hit it reminded me of Phil Hansen's hit on UND's Kovash. Phil's was a little higher and ended Kovash's desire to play again.

Quote Originally Posted by GFBison View Post
    When I saw that hit it reminded me of Phil Hansen's hit on UND's Kovash. Phil's was a little higher and ended Kovash's desire to play again.
    I liked the hit because Bell's little trot down the field after "our" interception was called back irritated me.

I liked the hit because Bell's little trot down the field after "our" interception was called back irritated me.
    Did you enjoy Bell's little boy band antics after a td pass or big play. He reminds me of Justin Bieber.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Was this the one where he got the wind knocked out of him? To me that was the best legal hit that a d player could ever put on a QB anymore... just drove through him and staked him to the ground... (Bell didn't do himself any favors by trying to do his version of a crockett jump pass)

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Was this the one where he got the wind knocked out of him? To me that was the best legal hit that a d player could ever put on a QB anymore... just drove through him and staked him to the ground... (Bell didn't do himself any favors by trying to do his version of a crockett jump pass)
    Yes, this was the play. I watched it on replay a few times today, for the first time. My favorite highlight from the game now, was Bell's last play of the game. He comes back from being out quite a few plays to throw a pick to MWill. As tough as I know SHSU can be if they are clicking, is it bad of me to say I want to see them in Frisco again next year??? Another a$$ whoopin' would be great! And I want to personally tell Bell to hit a buffet a few times a week.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Yes, this was the play. I watched it on replay a few times today, for the first time. My favorite highlight from the game now, was Bell's last play of the game. He comes back from being out quite a few plays to throw a pick to MWill. As tough as I know SHSU can be if they are clicking, is it bad of me to say I want to see them in Frisco again next year??? Another a$$ whoopin' would be great! And I want to personally tell Bell to hit a buffet a few times a week.
    Coincidently, did you know that Buffet fans make Bison fans look like shit?