Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UND medical school expansion

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default UND medical school expansion

All I know is that the gov recommended the middle proposal instead of the lower cost expansion or the entire new complex. Loyyd Amdahl wrote last week that with the states money at this time they should build a whole new one. Amdahl was a professor at UND and those insiders usually don't have clear minds when it comes to spending the states money. Anyone with more knowledge and insight please contribute to this thread. I imagine this would be the largest higher ed project if it happens.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UND medical school expansion

I am a current pharmacy student at NDSU. About 10 years ago Sudro Hall was remolded and the Walgreens Wing addition was added. Also they started the Thrifty White concept pharmacy lab. All of this had a huge impact on NDSU's only professional school and the state of North Dakota. It allowed us to have larger pharmacy classes and is helping me to become a better pharmacist. I get great hands on experience. I personally do not know if there is a need at UND medical school. However, I can tell you that a building addition helped the pharmacy program tremendously. If the need is there, building an addition will help. It is not a waste of money.

On a side note I have heard the Law School is not doing so how either not really sure why.

When I was a student there, we moved to a new curriculum that is patient centered and focused on students teaching other students and empasizing life long learning. It was centered on small groups and breaking down cases so a remodel was needed. I am not sure how much has been done since I was there (about 10 years ago).

That all being said, it is estimated that the state of ND will be short 500 doctors in the near future. The School of Medicine's original intent was to provide physicians for ND-at times this goal has been lost in the research arm of the school (concentrating on $$ bringing in research). I know that in order to increase class size, they need more room for small group work, room of which is hard to come by in the current building. To bring in more physicians for ND, we need bigger classes, and more class rooms to train these physicians.

It might be more economical to just build a new facility than to try and remodel the existing building.

Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.-Joshua J. Marine

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CarringtonBison View Post
    When I was a student there, we moved to a new curriculum that is patient centered and focused on students teaching other students and empasizing life long learning. It was centered on small groups and breaking down cases so a remodel was needed. I am not sure how much has been done since I was there (about 10 years ago).

That all being said, it is estimated that the state of ND will be short 500 doctors in the near future. The School of Medicine's original intent was to provide physicians for ND-at times this goal has been lost in the research arm of the school (concentrating on $$ bringing in research). I know that in order to increase class size, they need more room for small group work, room of which is hard to come by in the current building. To bring in more physicians for ND, we need bigger classes, and more class rooms to train these physicians.

It might be more economical to just build a new facility than to try and remodel the existing building.
    If I understood right, the plan the gov endorses is for an add on and remodel. Thanks for you're input. I'm not necessarily against this but I just was curious if this was a ligitimate need or a good way to sell a und expansion using the shortage of docs in rural areas as their hammer. I started this thread to hear some discussion from people who know more about this.

Just to throw some numbers out there...

I believe the small expansion/remodel that the SBHE recommended is between $30-40 million. The larger expansion(which can also be a later phase 2 of the first plan) will run $60-80 million. Starting from scratch with a new building next to the old one will be north of $120 million(the option Omdahl seems to favor - I haven't found his op-ed yet). I'll try to find the exact numbers later.

If I'm reading things right, the SBHE asked for $38.5M for the med school and $4.35M for the law school(ranked #1 & 4 respectively). The governor changed that to $68.3M and $12M for a total increase of $37.45M.

BTW, that increase alone is almost $8M more than the only NDSU project on approved list(STEM building for $29.6M). Two other NDSU projects didn't even make the cut($12.9M to renovate Ladd/Dunbar and $20.4M to replace Harris).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    If I'm reading things right, the SBHE asked for $38.5M for the med school and $4.35M for the law school(ranked #1 & 4 respectively). The governor changed that to $68.3M and $12M for a total increase of $37.45M.

BTW, that increase alone is almost $8M more than the only NDSU project on approved list(STEM building for $29.6M). Two other NDSU projects didn't even make the cut($12.9M to renovate Ladd/Dunbar and $20.4M to replace Harris).
    This plus the new NDUS SITS building that is currently going up. Lots of money being funneled into Grand Forks.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Cue the Rob Port outrage in 3...2...oh wait. It's a UND project, I'm sure he's all for it.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The money flowing to UN_ pisses me off as well. However, considering the shortage of Docs in ND, especially rural ND, I can get behind the Med School projects.

What kind of incentives do these students have to practice in ND though?

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Cue the Rob Port outrage in 3...2...oh wait. It's a UND project, I'm sure he's all for it.
    Our good buddy Skarphol is mysteriously quiet as well.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.