Thread: Official Video Review

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Official Video Review

One of the study tools many college officials use is a weekly video review from Rom Gilbert. I believe he's an observer in the ACC and a former on-field official. He usually has 6-8 plays each week with commentary about the call. It is usually his opinion and everyone doesn't always agree but they are always good for discussion.

This week's featured play came from the Bison game. Until I saw this today I had completely forgot about the play. I've talked to other officials and opinions are split. Most feel it was appropriate to give GSU their TO back but they still had the choice to take the time out. Normally after an official's time out the play clock is set to 25 seconds. The exception to that is a defensive injury. To discourage the defense from faking injuries the play clock is set to 40. That way the same amount of time runs off the clock regardless and it could be even more if the officials don't notice the injury right away. I'm guessing the GSU coach was upset either because he thought the clock would not start or it would be set to 25 seconds.

http://romgilbert.us/2012vidclip16.htm

There are a couple other plays from the EWU-SHSU game as well as a great play from last week's SHSU game.

Default Re: Official Video Review

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    This week's featured play came from the Bison game. Until I saw this today I had completely forgot about the play. I've talked to other officials and opinions are split. Most feel it was appropriate to give GSU their TO back but they still had the choice to take the time out.

There are a couple other plays from the EWU-SHSU game as well as a great play from last week's SHSU game.
    Wofford you mean.. I'm hot tonight Indy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Wofford you mean.. I'm hot tonight Indy!
    No...I was referring to a play from last week's SHSU game against Montana State. Montana State tried to throw a backward pass to a lineman but it ended up being forward which resulted in illegal touching. There was also a potential illegal block below the waist.

JustinTyem is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    One of the study tools many college officials use is a weekly video review from Rom Gilbert. I believe he's an observer in the ACC and a former on-field official. He usually has 6-8 plays each week with commentary about the call. It is usually his opinion and everyone doesn't always agree but they are always good for discussion.

This week's featured play came from the Bison game. Until I saw this today I had completely forgot about the play. I've talked to other officials and opinions are split. Most feel it was appropriate to give GSU their TO back but they still had the choice to take the time out. Normally after an official's time out the play clock is set to 25 seconds. The exception to that is a defensive injury. To discourage the defense from faking injuries the play clock is set to 40. That way the same amount of time runs off the clock regardless and it could be even more if the officials don't notice the injury right away. I'm guessing the GSU coach was upset either because he thought the clock would not start or it would be set to 25 seconds.

The Video link is the Wofford game. So Braves is correct,its not GSU video of the Injury TO you talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTyem View Post
    The Video link is the Wofford game. So Braves is correct,its not GSU video of the Injury TO you talked about.
    Ahhh...good catch. That's why I didn't remember it from the GSU game. I didn't watch it that closely since I remembered seeing it when it happened. Since the next few plays were EWU/SHSU I guess I had it in my mind the first clip was from the GSU game.

I remember thinking he was faking the injury. Personally I think they should be charged a timeout if its inside 2 minutes, odds are they are faking it. Heck do like George Carlin says and leave the injured on the field and play on!

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com