Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Denver to Summit

Default Re: Denver to Summit

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    It makes sense but remember GF is an alternate reality. To them they are forging a new trail into the west, recruits from AZ and CA will pining to come play athletics up at frostbite U, UNC is close travel partner, and UND will become Montana biggest rival.

Meanwhile their coaches will continue to recruit in the east and wonder why they are traveling in the opposite direction to play all their games.
    It is in fact 70 square miles surrounded by reality!
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Just to offer what the inside word in Macomb is....

Lindenwood will be the next invite to the Summit League. They have a huge budget and were an NAIA monster, after a short stop in DII to adjust to the NCAA they will be invited to the SL. That would offer Denver, Detroit, Indy, STL, and KC markets in one conference.

Just for the record Oakland will not be getting an invite to the Horizon due simply to the face Detroit will not share that market with them. Unless the bylaws change for the Horizon they will never pass the chopping block.

I do not know who the Horizon would invite but Oakland is a no go, no other SL teams come to mind.

Nebraska Omaha needs to change their damn name to Nebraska St.

IUPUI is ok because it is fun to say.

IPFW... sh&$ show of a name, wish it would change.

UMKC... They recognized the need to simplify and will be changing their nickname to UKC.

EIU would join the conference if travel arrangements made better sense. They are much improved.

Chicago St. is in the dog house but they offer a nice market as well. Lets hope it doesn't get there.

PS, Denver is a very easy flight for all the SL teams so nobody in the east is worried or upset about travel... they are within our footprint. Everyone at WIU is thrilled.

If you have heard different cool, would love to know but that is the conversations going on around Western about this.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That's a lot of info to chew on, thanks Western.

So if Lindenwood were to join, that would make 11 if OU doesn't jump ship, what would the travel partner be then? What is the current travel partner relationship now that ORU is out?

Great question....

That is the unknown being addressed during the Lindenwood's period of transition into the NCAA. The next 2-5 years will answer that for us in my opinion and a lot of it has to do with other conference moves. UND is the clear priority but they are not interested in the SL currently. Apparently WIU is about to have it out with a few of the MVC teams in the MVFC due to their long standing relationship (have fun watching that from the Dakotas). It would make the most sense to bring UND in but the SL has an image issue that can only be addressed by winning over time and investing money. Seems you Bison are doing your part... thank you.

Colorado College won't make the jump so we are told, they were the first school mentioned mentioned after UND. They would be a great travel partner for DU and they have enough of an endowment and name to do as they please.

It is more likely that a move will be made to bring EIU or a MN DII team if nobody else comes around in the short term. There is always the fall back option of Chicago State, this is very unpopular for all the SL schools at the moment but they have a new facility for hoops and offer the right combination of travel, sports offered & the market.

There are a lot of variables in this transition... ISUr making the move to FBS is something to watch, as is YSU desire to move out east for conference play. Both of those moves would open the door for proper Summit growth to 12 solid members. It would also end the MVC schools having more pull for football than the Summit... It would help the Summit out overall in perception if the football conference and all sports shared the same brand.

Lets all be thankful for no more crazy travel to Louisiana or Tulsa etc, the oil money in the great plains will allow the Summit to become a much improved situation if people are patient.

Lindenwood? I grew up about 5 miles from the campus. Yes, it's changed since I was a youngster but a D-I school? Wow would be all I can say.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Never even heard of the school until today... they have a larger enrollment than NDSU does, however I don't know how much of it is online students.

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere but Denver's best player who left the team after the season finalized his transfer to Baylor earlier this month.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...r-royce-oneale
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Been a while since I've heard anything, but I'm curious if anyone has more information about the Horizon or Summit Leagues.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Been a while since I've heard anything, but I'm curious if anyone has more information about the Horizon or Summit Leagues.
    Summit end-of-year meetings were a few weeks ago. Nothing of significance was announced. They may have scheduled site visits for prospective schools, but if those schools are in other conferences, that would probably be kept quiet, as was done w/Denver last year.