Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitchell Daily Republic: NDSU is SDSU's true rival

Default Mitchell Daily Republic: NDSU is SDSU's true rival

Has North Dakota State University really become SDSU’s true rival? That would seem to be the case, given the excitement over the Dakota Marker trophy that the two teams battle for and the bets made between politicians in the states.

SDSU and NDSU made the Division I leap together and were without games against their in-state rivals in recent years, so the rivalry between the two schools grew.

Also, both schools have been highly successful in recent seasons, which adds to the atmosphere of the games. When they played this year, a conference title was up for grabs.

Maybe SDSU’s facility is another factor. It’s stretched to the limit, and there aren’t many places to put additional fans once the crowd reaches 15,000.

Perhaps a new or improved stadium, which SDSU is seeking, would draw a bigger crowd.

It’s likely, too, that the SDSU-USD rivalry will get better with time, and with improvement in USD’s football program.

Or, maybe the magic that was the SDSU-USD Division II rivalry is lost forever, to be replaced or at least rivaled by South Dakotans’ desire to show up their neighbor to the north on the national Division I stage.
    http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/even...roup/homepage/
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Default Re: Mitchell Daily Republic: NDSU is SDSU's true rival

absolutely correct.

Sounds to me like someones attempt to attach sdsu to ndsu's successful coattails
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

It's a huge rivalry. All the games are good. I absolutely hate losing to SDSU. Watching them grab the marker makes me want to puke. But at the end of the day I respect them. They've done a great job with less resources. Their fans can be annoying when they win but it will never be this pure hatred the Bison *** rivalry has. I love to watch *** lose in everything . They love to watch us lose. I'm actually happy for the Wabbits when they do well, except against us. 2 big rivals. Not better or worse. Just different

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

mango is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Sounds to me like someones attempt to attach sdsu to ndsu's successful coattails
    Umm what? I really want to hear this explanation.

Sdsu has been highly successful???? Other than this year (when they finished third). Did i miss a highly successful season by them? Our rival will always be the school up north who must not be named. The way i read it there are trying to make themselves sound better by writing an article about how well they and Ndsu are doing.

Edit...they finished second this year my bad.

Sdsu has been highly successful???? Other than this year (when they finished third). Did i miss a highly successful season by them? Our rival will always be the school up north who must not be named. The way i read it there are trying to make themselves sound better by writing an article about how well they and Ndsu are doing.

Edit...they finished second this year my bad.
    SDSU also finished second a few years ago (the year of the Meltdown in Missoula).

I think they are talking about all sports, not just football (yes, I know it was written after the football game but they never said the football team has been highly successful, they just said SDSU and NDSU have been high successful). When you look at it that way, the women's basketball team has won the conference tournament every year they have been eligible, the men's basketball team just made the Big Dance, the baseball team has been close a few times, both the volleyball and women's soccer teams have made the NCAA Tournament.

Edit--read it again, they were talking about the football teams but SDSU did win the Great West conference when they knocked off NDSU in Brookings in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    SDSU also finished second a few years ago (the year of the Meltdown in Missoula).

I think they are talking about all sports, not just football (yes, I know it was written after the football game but they never said the football team has been highly successful, they just said SDSU and NDSU have been high successful). When you look at it that way, the women's basketball team has won the conference tournament every year they have been eligible, the men's basketball team just made the Big Dance, the baseball team has been close a few times, both the volleyball and women's soccer teams have made the NCAA Tournament.

Edit--read it again, they were talking about the football teams but SDSU did win the Great West conference when they knocked off NDSU in Brookings in 2007.
    And how did they do in the playoffs that year? Its a trick question.

And how did they do in the playoffs that year? Its a trick question.
    WTF is your point? That we were still reclassifying and couldn't compete in the playoffs?

SDSU has had success since the move up, that's my point. They aren't attempting "to attach sdsu to ndsu's successful coattails"

Has NDSU had more success? Absolutely but let's not act like SDSU hasn't done anything since the move.

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    WTF is your point? That we were still reclassifying and couldn't compete in the playoffs?

SDSU has had success since the move up, that's my point. They aren't attempting "to attach sdsu to ndsu's successful coattails"

Has NDSU had more success? Absolutely but let's not act like SDSU hasn't done anything since the move.
    My point is that the writer...imo...was trying to equate the success of the two programs. Its obviously a homer of a writer...and if you think they have been successful....im happy for you.