Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best Bison Team Ever?

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Best Bison Team Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Regardless of the recent team, this type of thinking is ill-conceived when comparing teams of different eras.
    I agree. Funny how it is always the young bucks who never saw the "old-timers" who want to make these comparisons.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

I have this feeling that many people reading this thread didn't notice that it was originally posted in 2006...
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    I have this feeling that many people reading this thread didn't notice that it was originally posted in 2006...
    I saw that. This subject is what sports talk is all about. It's a common theme for every sport and at every level.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    ever.

Yep and that was the greatest team ever etc etc etc.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Five years from now I want everyone in the nation to say...

"Yes, The Bison are the best to EVER play FCS football... it's not even close."

(who gives a crap which year was better)

Pretty hard to argue against it. You add another title or two and a couple more wins vs. Big 10 or Big 12 schools and it's a slam dunk.

Impossible to compare teams from different decades. IMHO, you would have to some how compensate the older team for not having the training and resources of the current team. I doubt the 86' team had all the bells and whistles and modern training equipment, sports medicine, techniques etc. I would also suspect the current team put more into off season training as well. Just a sign of the times.
    I do know it is awesome to have so many Bison teams in the discussion with a current team that is two games shy of a three peat. Go Bison!

According to the following website the 2006 and 2013 team are essentially equal.
    http://nationalsportsrankings.com/in...n=com_oneonone

Did the 86' team get votes in the final AP poll? I think I remember someone telling me that when I was younger. Maybe they were bull shitting me.
    Also, was there some kind of position rating where the 86' Bison Oline was rated really high for all divisions?
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

I agree that it is impossible to compare teams from different decades. I remember watching those playoff games in the late eighties where they had won the game once the other team (Cal Poly) stepped off the bus! No this years team on the doorstep of 3 straight national titles is unbelievable. However, I do believe that this team has done something that no team has done for Bison football, and that is put us on the National football map. No one ever dreamed that the flagship of college football would be parked in downtown Fargo telling the world how great the tradition is at NDSU and NDSU has been mentioned every Saturday since.

On the field comparisons is for discussion and debate. The off the field impacts of this team is unquestionable in my opinion.
    Sue are people....not mascots!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOB1SON View Post
    I don't know if this is the best Bison team of all time. That is great message board fare, but there is no right answer. We have had so many exceptional seasons.

What I do know is that I am entering my fourth decade as a Bison football fan, and I think that the football the past 5 games is the absolute best football I have ever seen NDSU play. Complete in all phases. Defense is in lockdown mode. Offense is as balanced as they can be and basically gets whatever they want. The special teams are spot on.

Is there even a single play over the past 5 games that you can find to really complain about? A bad coaching decision? Bad clock management? A bad throw? A blown coverage? Anything???
    calling a timeout with 16 seconds left last game in 1st half. still got a FG but who knows if we get a td

SafeTeeJ is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

c'mon man! I was thinking WTF was up with that!
    "The bird is in your hand"