Thread: Kudos Where Kudos Be Due

Default Kudos Where Kudos Be Due

Regular Season Over.

In my very uneducated/amatuer opinion, some kudos be due to the "other" units on the field.

1- Keller has been lights out. Aside from some protection issues midseason and despite a nagging leg injury, the guy has been fantastic.

2-Lecompte has been LeAwesome. For several years now we have dreaded who will step into the shoes in the punting role each offseason and every year we seem to have someone who has stepped up to the challenge.

Directional kicking on kickoffs by both of the forementioned hired foots on the team has been great and set up the:

3- Coverage teams. It seems few and far between that opposing offenses are consistently getting field position improved by big returns on punts and kickoffs. In particular, CJ Smith has been a effing stud on coverage. He's not only made some fantastic solo coverage tackles, but done so with authority. I believe it was during the jacks game that he made a stick on the SDSU return man that made me suspicious he had just shivved the dude. Zach Colvin seems to be around the ball all the time on coverage as well... makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside on what we have waiting in the wings for depth on D.

If I'm reading the stats on GoBison correctly, our Net kickoff yardage is 20 yards/per kick more than our opponents and the average return by our opponents on a punt is 7.1 yards. Likely we will never point at one of the amalgamate that is special teams and give them the credit for a win, but it is sure easy to cast blame on poor special teams play on a loss, something that we have had the luxury of not needing to do.

Default Re: Kudos Where Kudos Be Due

Good post, with the exception of the blocking on XPs and field goals special teams have been good all year. And it seems like number 6 flies down the field every kickoff like his ass is on fire.

special teams unit has been very good. i dont think michael murphy has muffed any snaps either

Great posting grizlandbisonfan!
    Personally I thought the Drago was the best Bison punter we would see for years, Lecompte is great. Watching Keller limp, sometimes hobble off the field after another great kick, shows true Bison guts!

Quote Originally Posted by grizlandbisonfan View Post
    2-Lecompte has been LeAwesome. For several years now we have dreaded who will step into the shoes in the punting role each offseason and every year we seem to have someone who has stepped up to the challenge.
    And even better news is that Ben is a freshman!

533 In a row

So you're saying LeCompte isn't LeCompetent, he's LeAwesome

Quote Originally Posted by grizlandbisonfan View Post
    Regular Season Over.

In my very uneducated/amatuer opinion, some kudos be due to the "other" units on the field.

1- Keller has been lights out. Aside from some protection issues midseason and despite a nagging leg injury, the guy has been fantastic.

Directional kicking on kickoffs by both of the forementioned hired foots on the team has been great and set up the:

3- Coverage teams. It seems few and far between that opposing offenses are consistently getting field position improved by big returns on punts and kickoffs. In particular, CJ Smith has been a effing stud on coverage. He's not only made some fantastic solo coverage tackles, but done so with authority. I believe it was during the jacks game that he made a stick on the SDSU return man that made me suspicious he had just shivved the dude. Zach Colvin seems to be around the ball all the time on coverage as well... makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside on what we have waiting in the wings for depth on D.

If I'm reading the stats on GoBison correctly, our Net kickoff yardage is 20 yards/per kick more than our opponents and the average return by our opponents on a punt is 7.1 yards. Likely we will never point at one of the amalgamate that is special teams and give them the credit for a win, but it is sure easy to cast blame on poor special teams play on a loss, something that we have had the luxury of not needing to do.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Great post to start this thread. Praise for our special teams is long overdue. Givin' positive points on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis was a Bison View Post
    Great post to start this thread. Praise for our special teams is long overdue. Givin' positive points on this one.
    Agree.
    The kicking game was a complete unknown to us rubes before the season began.
    So far, it has been rock solid.

Bisonfan1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ive been real impressed with the downfield coverage this year, special teams play all around has been very good. And to think a few years back Bisonville wanted to run the special teams coordinator out of town on a rail.
    West Lot Champions - 2008 Bison Pride Award/2009 Best Set-Up & Fan Favorite/ 2010 Fan Favorite / 2011 Fan Favorite - TOHBTC