Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 Expanding again?????

Default Re: Big 10 Expanding again?????

I agree 110% on markets.

Texas is the only one who actually dominates the market. Of course, Maryland and Rutgers don't either.

Whatever New England and Southeastern team can join the big ten should jump on it.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    I agree 110% on markets.

Texas is the only one who actually dominates the market. Of course, Maryland and Rutgers don't either.

Whatever New England and Southeastern team can join the big ten should jump on it.
    I don't think it matters with Rutgers, Fox(who runs the BTN) bought a big stake in the YES network so if people in NY want to watch Yankee baseball they'll be paying for Rutgers and the BTN.

Maryland was the easiest ACC school to swipe, I'm guessing the Big 10 hopes other leagues start poaching the ACC as well.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    They don't need UVA. They got the DC and Baltimore television markets with Maryland.
    And there are better options than UNC when it comes to cable subscribers.

Largest US Television Markets
    1. NYC -- and now you know why Rutgers
    2. LA -- PAC-12 territory
    3. Chicago -- Illinois and Northwestern
    4. Philly -- Penn State
    5. Dallas --
    6. San Fran -- PAC-12 territory
    7. Boston
    8. Atlanta
    9. Wash DC -- and now you know why Maryland
    10. Houston
    11. Detroit -- Mich, Mich State, etc ...

If you get U of Texas you get 5 and 11 (Dallas and Houston).
    If you peel off Boston College and G'Tech you get 7 and 8 (Boston and Atlanta).

Based on "television sets" (aka money) those are my guesses for the next targets of the B1G*.

*That B1G logo is looking more and more like B16 every day.
    Texas would be the big add but due to the whole Big 12 grant of rights they are basically untouchable unless 8 members decide to dissolve it. I think they'll try to poach ACC teams now.

If the Big 10 adds UNC they bring in Charlotte(one of the country's fastest growing markets) and Raleigh-Durham(another fast growing city), that equals Atlanta. Plus UNC hoops would be a nice feather for BTN's cap. I think UVA is a package deal with UNC but really both schools gives the B10 the mid-Atlantic and it adds two schools that are perfect academic fits. Plus they keep the Big 10 in contiguous states and expands their presence in the south which is Delany's goal.

The Big 10 will try to add something beyond markets with the next round of expansion. ND would be the best option but UNC hoops and a bigger southern presence is a nice consolation prize.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 11-21-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Rutgers is nothing to NYC - nothing.

What the Big 10 will get is New Jersey - I see a lot of people with the Rutger R on their cars.

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

They need to be on this list too... https://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

AAU + Big TV market in eastern or central time zones = B1G targeted school

All the B1G schools are AAU members (except Nebraska - they got 'kicked out' in 2011 when AAU stopped considering the health science campus as a separate entity from University of Nebraska). Their current chancellor doesn't believe they would have got into the B1G if they weren't an AAU at the time of invitation.

BCS/AAU schools in the eastern or central time zone that are not currently in the B1G:
    Duke
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    Iowa State
    Texas A&M
    Florida
    Kansas
    Missouri
    North Carolina
    Pittsburgh
    Texas
    Vanderbilt

Even with Maryland they have to build the market.

I don't think it will be that tough. NYC attracts nut jobs from everywhere (is that too subtle?). Big Ten grads and football fans will make their way to NJ to watch Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska play.

In other words, the Big Ten is putting these schools on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    They don't need UVA. They got the DC and Baltimore television markets with Maryland.
    And there are better options than UNC when it comes to cable subscribers.

Largest US Television Markets
    1. NYC -- and now you know why Rutgers
    2. LA -- PAC-12 territory
    3. Chicago -- Illinois and Northwestern
    4. Philly -- Penn State
    5. Dallas --
    6. San Fran -- PAC-12 territory
    7. Boston
    8. Atlanta
    9. Wash DC -- and now you know why Maryland
    10. Houston
    11. Detroit -- Mich, Mich State, etc ...

If you get U of Texas you get 5 and 11 (Dallas and Houston).
    If you peel off Boston College and G'Tech you get 7 and 8 (Boston and Atlanta).

Based on "television sets" (aka money) those are my guesses for the next targets of the B1G*.

*That B1G logo is looking more and more like B16 every day.
    That may be the plan. Their rebranding also includes a name change, and they want to be the first 16-team superconference. They will be called the Big Sixteen (B16)
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

They would have all of nd if they bring in the Bison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    That may be the plan. Their rebranding also includes a name change, and they want to be the first 16-team superconference. They will be called the Big Sixteen (B16)
    B1G looks more like a B with a '16' after it anyway, so they probably won't need a new logo...