Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FCS Playoff Teams

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: FCS Playoff Teams

Quote Originally Posted by heckler_of_the_north View Post
    I agree with many who are saying no 7 win teams will be in this year. If Lehigh loses their next game they will not even be in the tournament.
    If the Bison lose to ISUR and both ISUB and SDSU wins there will be 4 teams sharing the conference crown. Do they leave out Indiania State with 7 wins even though they are conference co-champs?

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Here is Craig Haley's take on potential playoff teams from the MVFC:

Missouri Valley: Conference-leader North Dakota State is playoff-bound, but it doesn't plan to take its foot off the pedal at Illinois State because a win will clinch not only an outright MVFC title, but likely the top overall seed in the playoffs. A nice home run in the playoffs could get the Bison back to Frisco, Texas, where they won their first FCS national title last season. Illinois State also will be in the playoffs and might be in the mix for a seed with a win over NDSU. A South Dakota State win over South Dakota should get the Jackrabbits in the field. OK, so the bubble makes it hard to be confident of that. Indiana State (7-3) has to win at dangerous Youngstown State to become playoff-eligible, but it lost the head-to-head meeting with South Dakota State, so the Sycamores may already know where they stand in the pecking order.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4542094

I stand by what I said in another thread. The playoffs start next weekend. NDSU can ill afford to lose to ISUr and not have home field advantage for the playoffs, given their lack of offensive prowess.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Here is Craig Haley's take on potential playoff teams from the MVFC:

Missouri Valley: Conference-leader North Dakota State is playoff-bound, but it doesn't plan to take its foot off the pedal at Illinois State because a win will clinch not only an outright MVFC title, but likely the top overall seed in the playoffs. A nice home run in the playoffs could get the Bison back to Frisco, Texas, where they won their first FCS national title last season. Illinois State also will be in the playoffs and might be in the mix for a seed with a win over NDSU. A South Dakota State win over South Dakota should get the Jackrabbits in the field. OK, so the bubble makes it hard to be confident of that. Indiana State (7-3) has to win at dangerous Youngstown State to become playoff-eligible, but it lost the head-to-head meeting with South Dakota State, so the Sycamores may already know where they stand in the pecking order.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4542094

I stand by what I said in another thread. The playoffs start next weekend. NDSU can ill afford to lose to ISUr and not have home field advantage for the playoffs, given their lack of offensive prowess.
    This bracket looks very close to expectations at this point. Stony Brook is likely the last team in and could be bumped for ISUb or a CAA team.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    If the Bison lose to ISUR and both ISUB and SDSU wins there will be 4 teams sharing the conference crown. Do they leave out Indiania State with 7 wins even though they are conference co-champs?
    MVFC could have a 4 way tie, CAA could have a 6 way, Southern is a 3 way, so could Big South and Big Sky. OVC, Southland, and NEC a 2 way. Add in the outright Patriot League and MEAC champion and you have 27 1st place teams going for 20 spots. Something's gotta give.

EDIT: missingnumber7 is right about CAA possibly a 6 way. I got the 5 way from an AGS thread about the CAA autobid, forgot ODU isn't eligible for the auto but could tie for 1st.
    Last edited by taper; 11-12-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    MVFC could have a 4 way tie, CAA could have a 5 way, Southern is a 3 way, so could Big South and Big Sky. OVC, Southland, and NEC a 2 way. Add in the outright Patriot League and MEAC champion and you have 26 1st place teams going for 20 spots. Something's gotta give.
    It's also possible that all seeded teams could be at-large selections and not have won their conference autobid. SAM, MSU, EWU, NDSU, ODU. Now that would be funny!

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    MVFC could have a 4 way tie, CAA could have a 6 way, Southern is a 3 way, so could Big South and Big Sky. OVC, Southland, and NEC a 2 way. Add in the outright Patriot League and MEAC champion and you have 26 1st place teams going for 20 spots. Something's gotta give.
    And if the Big South goes to Liberty that is a non 7 win team with an autobid which makes it even tighter for spots.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    If my check is correct, if the 4-way tie were to happen Indiana State would win the auto-bid per the tie-breaker scenario as they would have gone 5-0 vs common opponents. SDSU and ISU-red would both be 4-1 and NDSU would be 3-2. (Conference opponents which would not count would be SDSU, ISU-r, UNI and WIU as not all teams in the tie played these schools).

If this scenario were to play out I think SDSU would be left at home, I don't see more than 3 MVFC teams making the field this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sway1331 View Post
    If my check is correct, if the 4-way tie were to happen Indiana State would win the auto-bid per the tie-breaker scenario as they would have gone 5-0 vs common opponents. SDSU and ISU-red would both be 4-1 and NDSU would be 3-2. (Conference opponents which would not count would be SDSU, ISU-r, UNI and WIU as not all teams in the tie played these schools).

If this scenario were to play out I think SDSU would be left at home, I don't see more than 3 MVFC teams making the field this year.
    There would only be 4 common opponents: YSU, USD, SIU, MSU.....would have to take NDSU out as well even though we played SDSU, ISUB and ISUR. We can't play ourselves.

NDSU: 4-0 vs commons
    SDSU: 3-0 vs commons w/game vs USD pending
    ISU-B: 3-0 vs commons w/game vs YSU pending
    ISU-R: 2-2 vs commons

Assuming SDSU beats USD and ISU-B wins vs YSU, then 3 teams are 4-0 against commons

Then if NDSU loses to ISUR, all 4 would be 6-2 in conference going to tie breaker. ISU-R would be out with a 2-2 record vs commons.

Then it is a round robin w/ NDSU,SDSU and ISU-B.

NDSU: 1-1
    SDSU: 1-1
    ISUB:1-1

Then it goes to highest GPI. As of last week it was NDSU #1, ISU-B #5, SDSU #11.
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!