Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Gridiron Power Index is out and NDSU #1

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default First Gridiron Power Index is out and NDSU #1

No surprise here, but the first GPI got published today, and NDSU is #1.

Six MVFC teams in the top 25. GPI is a pretty good indicator of which teams may get at-large bids, so the Valley is in good shape midway through the season.

Somewhat surprising for me is that the Big Sky holds three of the top five GPI spots, yet the MVFC holds the #1 conference spot over the BSC. Just goes to show you how bad the bottom feeders are in that conference compared to the Valley.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...Champ-as-No.-1

Default Re: First Gridiron Power Index is out and NDSU #1

Interesting to see UNI at #20 without a DI win. I guess I always thought these types of ratings were affected more by statistics (wins/losses, strength of schedule, etc). Does this take last season's final games into consideration?

Is the #1 team always ranked with a "1.00" rating? That is quite a big separation from MSU...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Is the #1 team always ranked with a "1.00" rating? That is quite a big separation from MSU...
    No, the #1 does not necessarily start with a 1.00. That just means NDSU is a unanimous #1. There have been other gpi's where the #1 had a 1.35 or around that.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

All of these different rating systems/polls that us different number-sets for ranking teams reminds me of all the different-sized cellphone charger ends. I mean, SRSLY, can't there just be universal ones for chrissakes!!!???
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    All of these different rating systems/polls that us different number-sets for ranking teams reminds me of all the different-sized cellphone charger ends. I mean, SRSLY, can't there just be universal ones for chrissakes!!!???
    This is pretty much the only one that matters in FCS football. It's like the BCS for playoff seedings....
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

I like the ranking diversity. Just helps prove that the rankings aren't biased in anyway. Cell phone chargers on the other hand...
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    This is pretty much the only one that matters in FCS football. It's like the BCS for playoff seedings....
    People give too much weight to the GPI. The version that's actually used isn't the one that's usually published, which is a composite of the two major polls and I believe seven computer rankings.

Here's the at-large selection criteria, and notice where the "modified" GPI is mentioned and under which section of the criteria.

Selection Criteria[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
    At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
    regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
    The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
    1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
    complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection
    of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record, (2) strength-of-schedule, and (3)
    eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
    2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
    3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
    schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
    not being selected;
    4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
    Division I opponents; and
    5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
    for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
    6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
    a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
    champion team meets all of the following conditions:
    a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
    b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
    representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
    and
    c. Team finishes the season ranked 20 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
    media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by
    the committee on an annual basis). For 2011, the media poll will be the Sports
    Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
    poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following
    computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
    Self Rankings and the Laz Index.
    [See Appendix B (page 43) for a map of the geographical regions.]
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

"For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,"

Say what??!?!?!?!?
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

"For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,"

Say what??!?!?!?!?
    For example, the Ivy Leage teams choose not to participate in postseason play. They could, but they choose not to.